Having problem getting USB cable to work with VAG.com

Rev-head

Reaction score
Starting vag.com, need to locate port but can not seem to as USB cable is not find hardware for it

What i have done :

Wizard pops up go through the stages of putting up VAG.COM file up and search and it says it does not find any hardware

Any ideas?

Wheredid you get the USB cable from?? I bought mine from ebay and needed to install it using a driver from the buyer. Once I'd done that it was fine but it had me stumped for a while first.

went on to Ross tech and did as they said but no joy!!

Got cable of ebay but seller did not mention driver

The cable I got would not work with the Ross-tech drivers so I think thats where the problem lies mate. Once I actually read the listing for mine and sorted the drivers as they said mine worked fine.
Try having a look at the listing if you got it recently or if not, give me a shout and I'll try finding mine.

snap same one as mine....what did you load on to pc to get it to work?

Are you selecting the right com port within vag-com to allow it to use the cable(on my pc sometimes the cable defaults to com 8 or something that vag-com cant see)?

Or are you not getting as far as that even?

getting as far as that think Sinny has nailed it just need driver link for cable

Yeah if you havent the right drivers then install them, if you still cant access the cable from coms 1-4 then go into device manager and find the cable, force it to use one of these

rodenal said:
Yeah if you havent the right drivers then install them, if you still cant access the cable from coms 1-4 then go into device manager and find the cable, force it to use one of these
That kinds of rings a bell too. I think I needed to change the Com port on mine but I think that was down to me messing about before installing the correct driver.

GETTING ****** OFF NOW...have loaded driver link for PDF file and tried to get USB cable to find hardware it is not picking up anything ahhhh!!!

It needs to be set to a com port within Vag com as opposed to USB mate. Mine is set to com2 at the minute.

Are you running the Install.exe file to install the drivers??

I'm running 409-1 as I think the later versions will only work with a Ross-tech cable.

rught what i have done again:
Gone through computer>manage>device manager>ports
The USB Cable is register through (com8) have changed to com1 but still not working

Have you ran a test on Com1 within VAG-com??
Need to ensure its not used by a modem or anything. I went on for ages as it was saying it had found an adapter. Turned out it was my modem.

Have run test with vag.com on all coms and no interface..have checked all the rest

have checked the driver in the port and it is the one i have downloaded so it is the right one

Just plugged in my cable to have a go. And low and behold it said port ok, interface not found.

Not suggesting you do it now mate but it seems it only finds it when connected to the car. I used mine to recode the RNS-E 2 days ago so I know all is ok with it.

Will check tomorow morning my head is buzzing now just about threw laptop out of the F"ing window

Haha, never a good time to 'test' anything. It sounds like you've made all the chnges needed and nsalled the correct drivers though so fingers crossed it should be plain sailing tomorrow.

Thats it up and running now just going through the scan process now

I just wanted to add a bit to this thread, and say thanks to all who contributed.

Just got my Vag com cable working tonight having been through all the problems above.

The following might help to save future members a bit of time:

1. Com port 2 seemed to be the only one that worked for me despite others being free.
2. Check what com port your internal modem is on - vag com will talk to it, and that'll throw you right off the scent
3. When setting up the com port, go into device manager, then in the console tree click on COM&LPT. (The cable will also be listed under USBs at the bottom of the tree, but you can't change the com port in this section).
4. My laptop wouldn't even recognise the cable until I hooked it up to the car - this is contrary to the instructions from Ross-tech.

Now I just need to decifer the codes...it's most unusual being able to diagnose faults without having to get covered in old oil!

All the best,

Beef:readit:

I have just been though this jigsaw puzzle too! oh dam :faint:

Should have found this section sooner! :)

went onto the ross tech site to down load the 'old software' but \I only want to reset the service to zero but it asks for an activation code. have I got the wrong software or am I doing something wrong. I'm pretty sure I got the free software. Please help as I went through the same problem as the thread in getting the driver installed and the com port business....

Thanks for any advice in advance .

lol, the posts above just reinforce my belief that the only good cable is a genuine Ross-Tech one. yup they're more expensive but you don't have any codes to decypher, they work straight out of the box and you get the latest software as well as funding the research and developement of new functions.

still it's nice that Uwe, Sebastian etc keep popping in to offer advice and support even on the products that they don't sell. you never see an Ebay seller signing in to offer advice on their kit.

support the guys who'll support you, that's what i say

chiyuenli said:
went onto the ross tech site to down load the 'old software' but \I only want to reset the service to zero but it asks for an activation code. have I got the wrong software or am I doing something wrong..
Sorry, but resetting the service reminder requires saving a new value to an adaptation channel and the free version won't do that. The chart on this page has an outline showing what the free version can and can't do. Click in the links in the chart to see details. To remove the limitations, you'll need to register.

-Uwe-

I agree shineydave. I was selling my S3 in belief that I wasn't getting another Audi but now have ordered a Sportback so will invest in a proper unit.

Thanks to this thread I've just got the cable that I bought off ebay to work (had been given com port 17 to the cable and was finding my modem on com 4), looks like I'm off to the ross-tech website to register the software and try some data logging.