Checking longlife (AVS) servicing is enabled using VAG-COM

comdw

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My S3 was on AVS when I bought it, but I have a feeling it might have been changed to fixed servicing at some point when serviced.

Can I check this using VAG-COM and set it back to AVS if its on fixed?

I checked the Ross tech site but it only says how to reset the indicator and doesn't mention variable service.

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Adaptation - 10]

Enter either channel 42, 43, 44 or 45
[Read]

The list of values in each channel should give you an indication or not,

Channel 42 Shows minimum mileage 00015

Channel 43 shows maximum mileage before service, Distance is in 1000's of km so a value of 00015 means 15000 km not long life, a value of 00030 or 00050 means long life (depending on engine).

Channel 44 shows time in days a reading of 00365 means not long life a value of 00730 means long life

Channel 45 oil grade value 1 not long life value 2 or 4 long life (dependent on engine)

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I'm using the free/trial version of VAG-COM so can't read codes that high! Probably not worth the $99 just to find this out (I guess if I see my "miles to service" indicator go above 10000 miles in the next few days then its definitely AVS right.

By the way, if I found that it wasn't on AVS can VAG-COM set it back to AVS just by setting the codes 42-45 as above?

IIRC the days are a constant (do not alter with driving habits) so if it is showing 365 or less on your dash display then I don’t think your on AVS (probably been reset by the key method).

Again if IIRC if you follow the VAGcom procedure of saving 0 to Channel 2 I think it resets the values correctly to the AVS schedule for your engine.

But if it doesn’t yes you can enter the correct values to each channel and save them to put it back on the correct AVS.