VAG-COM can't connect to car

thadeak

Reaction score
Hi Forum, i have just joined. Looks like a wealth of knowledge here :)

I have brought a cable from ebay, its a autonostics one.
I have attached the USB to my laptop and installed the drivers, all seems ok. I downloaded and installed VAG-COM 409.1 software and in the ‘Options’ I choose COM3 and after the test it came back OK. After plugging the cable in to my car (Audi A4 1.6SE 1997 – UK) the light illuminates on the plug but the software does not find the car. I run the full scan range under the ‘Control Module Finder’ and it comes back with nothing. Same happens under any of the options in ‘Select Control Module’.
In the system device manager I have set the bit rate to 4800 in the hope that it would wok but still nothing.
I have permanently removed the factory stereo and have left it unplugged (I have installed a PC in my dash). Would this cause a problem?
I have even tried the older VC 311 and again that finds the cable comes back as 5 – Modem, but again I can’t run anything.

I would really appreciate any enlightenment on this issue.

Thank you for you time.

Deak

Have you checked the com port that your lead is connected to? Mine (not a autonostics one) installed itself at com port 42! I changed it to port 2 (which was unused) and changed it to that on the software. Worked fine then.

Hi icenutter,

thanks for the reply.

I tried changing the port number in the device manager, the only free port was COM1. However within the VAG-COM software when i test the connection, only port 3 works no matter what. well when i say works, it says it has found the lead.
So even when i tell the lead to be on com1 in the device manager it is still showing up on port 3 in VAG-COM.

very strange.

Deak

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_2.html#2.4

thadeak said:
I have brought a cable from ebay, its a autonostics one.

Did you try contacting the seller for help?

thadeak said:
In the system device manager I have set the bit rate to 4800 in the hope that it would wok but still nothing.

The control modules usually talk at higher rates, so you may want to set that back to default or the highest rate possible.

thadeak said:
Would this cause a problem?

Could be. See the aftermarket radio issue page:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

thadeak said:
I have even tried the older VC 311 and again that finds the cable comes back as 5 – Modem, but again I can’t run anything.

If it tell you this is a modem, then this is a modem and NOT your interface. Check the COM port of your notebook modem to make sure you are not trying to talk to the modem.

Hi Sebastian & icenutter,

Thanks a lot for your help guys. i have managed to getting working a treat :)

I put the baud rate back up and set the com port to 1 in the device manager.
seb you was correct, it was pickign up my onboard modem on port 3 and not the cable at all.

I also changed some settings in the bios:

I/O ports
parallel = not used.

Thanks for everyones help.

Now i am able to get it working i have run in to some new problems :)

time for a new post.

thanks guys

Deak