vag-com questions

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
I want to invest in vag-com but have some questions:

which cable do I want for my A3 (2000)?

If I want to run it from my PC, can I but a USB lead, and then get some kind of USB extension cable?

I just want to do basic fault code scanning - will the basic download from the ross-tech site do this?

Yes you should be able to use a USB extension lead.

The basic download version allows you to scan for fault codes and reset them.

I got my cable from Alpha-Bid off ebay, I would definately recommend these, the cable is very good quality(alot better than some ive seen) and delivery from the states was about 4 days.

Hope this helps.

I have this version,

VAG.jpg

I got it free.

I have never seen what VAG.com looks like so is this the full version??

It is release 311.2N.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you data log with the basic free version of VAG-COM? I'd be interested in logging MAF readings / boost etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You may be able to log MAF flow readings because it can be logged on block 003.

However, you won't be able to log boost because that is block 110 or 115.

You can only log the first 10 measuring block with the free version.

[ QUOTE ]
you can if donwload 3.11 version and crack it! lots of cracks for that version

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no way I would trust cracked software accessing the ECU of my car!

[ QUOTE ]
I have this version,

VAG.jpg

I got it free.

I have never seen what VAG.com looks like so is this the full version??

It is release 311.2N.

[/ QUOTE ]
The VAG-COM USB cable validates the freely available software into the full package.

Using cheap imitation cables from Ebay may worth with your car, but may not give you the full version of VAG-COM, only the demo/trial version.

I purchased a cable off of Alpha-Bid and I am very happy with it.
I use VAG-COM Version 311.2
There are several cracks available for this version that can be found on google if required.
The cable from RossTech automatically validates the software, however their cable is a lot more expensive than Alpha-Bid.
With the Alpha-Bid cable it uses the serial number of your ECU to create a code that RossTech use to create an unlock code to sell to you. The cracks just create an unlock code generated from the serial number of your ECU. I cannot believe that this can in any way damage your ECU.
This was some time ago I looked into this, things might have changed since then.

I`ve got a usb vag cable which I used with vagcom 3.11 and it works fine.. it came from alpha bid.

Reading maf values, setting central locking and fault logging

Since I`ve upgraded to an a3 (with a can bus) I cant use it anymore, If you want to offer me postage and something for my troubles its yours. PM me if your interested..

I also bought a cable from alpha-bid but I can't read anything from my car. The strange thing is that the test is ok!
The software tries several times to read values and then gives controller not found. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Car is A3 2001, vag-com 409.1, Windows xp.

Thanks,

I have a similar problem to reise. Everything hooks up ok, interface found, etc, but it cannot read any values. When I click on OBD-II to test compatability, it tells me that my car is not ISO/OBD-II compatible. The car is a 1998 (R) 1.8 T-Sport and is listed on the Ross-Tech website as being OBD II compatible, what am I doing wrong?

A-Haa. The default baud rate was set to 9600, I reduced this to 4800 (in device manager) and voila, values found and I was able to set my car up the way I wanted, no problem. Hope this helps reise and/or others.