which cable/setup for b7 A4

• Thread starter imported_carjacker0
  • Start date
I

imported_carjacker0

I've got a 2006 b7 A4 140 tdi and was looking at getting vag-com. I want to know should i go for ross-techs own cable and full software or third party lead and shareware route.Also does this year of car need the can-bus lead . Any thoughts on the subject would be welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

In short, yes, you ideally need a CAN-bus compatible interface. Some modules are connectable over ISO9141 (standard KKL) but you're not going to get anything close to full functionalilty. Also; I'm always first to advise a CAN compatible interface, as lets face it, CAN-bus vehicles are only going to get more common, as opposed to their ISO9141 counterparts... It might be 12 months, it might be 120, but sooner or later you're going to be buying a CAN interface if you're a VAG-for-lifer...

...And in that case; I'd only recommend a genuine Ross-Tech interface - I've not looked around the third-party market for a while now (since I bought my own HEX-USB+CAN); but when I last checked there was nobody offering a third-party CAN interface; and to be blunt, even if I found one now (unlikely as I've not found a third-party interface that can use software later than version ~409 (which I beleive has little or no CAN support)) I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. Most third-party interfaces fall somewhere between garbage and distinctly average IMHO (I've had a few and now have the badboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) - and if they're not all that at coping with the data over ISO9141 (which is like a modem); they're going to really struggle with CAN (which is like the broadband equivalent).

As you can see, my advice for compatibility, reliability and future-proofing would be a Ross Tech HEX-USB+CAN (lets face it, standard RS232 COM is dying out just like ISO9141 will - it's quite hard to find a laptop with a 'proper' (read: not-emulated) serial port, and some desktops have dropped them too lately)... The only drawback with a USB lead from Ross Tech is that because it's a native (again, not serial-emulated) USB device, it's only compatible with their software.

More info:

Ross Tech Interfaces

HEX-USB+CAN - What it does and doesn't do, what you can and can't do with it.

CAN-bus information, and vehicles which make use of it

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks rob for your reply.You could maybe tell me, can the buttons on the multi function steering wheel that are for the phone kit be reprogrammed for other functions such as eg.cd/radio controls with vag-com. Also service indicator resetting to keep the variable service as aposed the fixed,as these would the main reasons that i would be looking at getting the lead and software for now.

I'm not too sure at all about adapting the multi-function wheel; it's not something I've tried to do personally. Perhaps someone else has experience? The best I can do is look for guidance; I didn't find anything particularly relevant online, and my Audi data is in need of an update; with the latest model A4 it covers being the B6. I couldn't find anything useful there either, most of the MFW on the B6 looks to be essentially 'solid-state' electronics. I wouldn't take that as an indicator though, as I'm sure you're fully aware, a lot has changed electrically between B6 and B7... If I see/hear anything I'll let you know...

Also, Check the Ross-Tech VAG-COM site (support section) for links to some sites with Ross-Tech sponsored support forums, there's one which is VERY relevant to Audis not far down the list (more than that I can't say here), it might be worth an enquiry there, as a lot of the Ross Tech development/support staff amongst many other knowledgeable users post there.

In terms of service reminders, if I understand correctly, you'd like to switch between AVS and standard-scheduled (time/distance) servicing (or vice-versa)... Again, I'm not certain for the B7; but on all the AVS vehicles I've encountered you can switch between the two (AVS isn't available on some models in certain markets, and some fleet companies prefer standard servicing etc.); it's just a question of entering the right codes into the adaption channels on the instrument cluster which specificy the right service conditions to get the preferred type of warnings...

For example, to take a face-lift 8L A3 off AVS servicing and configure it for "conventional" service schedule, you tell it that the minimum and maximum time between service are 15,000km; maximum time between servicing is 365 days, and you've put-in oil code 1. To put it back on AVS, you code it for (petrol engines) distance between service - min = 15,000km, max = 30,000km; maximum interval = 730 days; and then an oil code of 2, 3, or 4 (depending on whether it's 30,00km, 35k or 50k life oil).

...So, although I don't have the physical codes for the B7; I'd be quite surprised to find out that it's not possible. Perhaps a Ross-Tech board could help on this one too, in terms of specifc codes?

Regards,

Rob.

factionone,thanks for your reply.
With regards the sevrice question i want to keep the AVS. As my car stands now when i come to do the first service in 18'000 miles the car can have the service message reset by pessing the combination of buttons as stated in the manual.If i follow the manual will this revert the service interval to the fixed service will it not?.As i've read in other posts the service indicator has to be reset through a computer to keep AVS.