VCDS mobile

RobbieWebs

Reaction score
Hi seen this on the website and wondered if anyone has used it?
Also has it got any restrictions compared to the cable version?
Only ask as I must be one of the only folk that doesn't have a laptop but 6 apple phones and iPads in the house :)

Its a very restricted version on the apple software I think.

Invest in a laptop & a genuine ross-tech cable well worth it. :)

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Not available out of the US, and currently beta testing.
Looks like we will have to move to US or wait lol.

Reactions: RobbieWebs
I'm not going to buy a laptop especially for using Vcds.
Be a waste of money from my point of view.
I'm glad it's moving forward to mobile so fingers x it gets released soon :)

I'm not going to buy a laptop especially for using Vcds.
Be a waste of money from my point of view.
I'm glad it's moving forward to mobile so fingers x it gets released soon :)
TBH i couldnt disagree more. It would be well worth buying a cheap old laptop for 30-50 quid if you was buying a genuint cable for 250. Im reading between the lines and assuming there are issues with wireless hex in beta testing, and that rosstech are not a large enough company to deal with a worldwide influx of support requests. hence only beta testing with a select few.

Sorry that came out wrong on my part.
I do see the point in owning Vcds as I'm planning to have Audi's for the foreseeable future.
I'm not in a rush for Vcds but would be nice to have :)
I can see ur point in a cheap laptop just for it.
Be nice tho just to be able to connect with a mobile device and scan instead of having to be at home with a lappy.
Hindside is saying that I probably should have bought a mac instead of the ipad :)

I bought a cheap netbook off flee bay solely for my VCDS cable. So much smaller than a laptop and perfect for the job

I use a small Asus eee pc Netbook and it works great. Use it in the house for surfing when watching the telly, take it on holiday as it weighs next to nothing and is great for tatting with the car .

Reactions: L33AEX
Elitepad 900 is what I use :)

BTW, look what I got:

IMG_20140226_122129.jpg

I see some posts in this thread that perhaps need clarification.

VCDS-Mobile will be the equivalent of VCDS - that is our goal. As it is all new, making this product work on any smart device that has WiFi and a web browser, it presents new challenges. Most of the VAG diagnostic functions are working in the product - some still need to be developed and finished. Many of the VAG diagnostic functions - high level functions - require access to the VCDS cloud. To use advance functions, the device has to be used with an internet connection present. Coding, Basic Settings, Adaptations, Output tests all require cloud services. Reading fault codes and displaying live measuring values can be done without internet or cloud functions. So the comment about the functions being severely limited are not quite true.

Now to the availability of the HEX-NET and VCDS-Mobile: We are not releasing it to the world market yet. Why? Because we want those testing it in the Beta period close to home. We want to be able to respond quickly to issues raised. And, there have been issues which we are resolving as quickly as we possibly can. Updates on the product are happening almost daily. When we feel that this product is ready to go to the world, we will release it to the world. As you can see, NHN has one to begin playing such that we can start to see what problems might occur from across the big pond.

I would also like to add that we are restricting the sales in the US too. Only a few units are sold each day. We do not want our support to be overloaded by new product problems such that we cannot continue our existing support at a level that is reasonable and right for our existing customers. So, a few units a day allow us to manage our work load. Not what all want to hear but certainly a reasonable approach to a new technology launch.

During the Beta test, we have to ask your patience. Know that the HEX-NET is the product and hardware that we expect to be our constant for the next 10 years. Our current genuine products have given 10+ years of service without our needing to make major technology changes. We expect that our HEX-NET will go the same way. Maybe some consider us to be slow at releasing product. We are ok with that idea because we only want to sell product that works and works well.

Reactions: EXSpartan36, RobbieWebs, @udi A3 and 2 others
Wonder if NHN is passing my way, im sure i can find a nice yorkshire brew and something to code... :D
One less cable in my laptop on the field is worth the wait to me...

Thanks for your input Bruce, much appreciated :)

I drink Yorkshire tea all day long anyway lol.

If I'm in the area for a job then I'll give you a shout to have a test.

Reactions: @udi A3
Just had my HEX-NET delivered today. Time to play and set it up properly.

Sorry to resurrect an old post. Just got an email saying these are available in the UK. Any feedback from users? Are they worth the extra money?

I have a HEX-NET. The big advantage with it is that I can carry it in the car with me and if the car exhibits any problems, I can quickly scan and clear codes.

It needs a little tweaking - I'd love a clear all DTCs button, for example, but it does work. I find myself reaching for the laptop when I'm at home though, because I fund the user interface easier to navigate.

Sorry to resurrect an old post. Just got an email saying these are available in the UK. Any feedback from users? Are they worth the extra money?

Thing is, that is the way that things are moving along, ie it is the future, or the future is here now, I'm now an old fart, but I'll be embracing it when my time comes, for now I can live with the cable I have.