Second opinion on error codes needed

Geoggy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2002 1.8T A3, 38000 miles.

A local independent did a diagnostic recently and reported these error codes.

His conclusion from this and after taking it for an "extended test drive" (although i found a shopping list on my passengar seat for a mcdonalds order when i picked the car up - hence ive totally lost faith in them) Is that its an early warning that the cylinder head gasket is on the way out and that I should run the car until any running problems occur, then bring it back to him with £400 - £600 in my back pocket for him to sort out.

(by the way this is the 3rd time has has done thie diagnostic for me - same codes three times - took him till this go to diagnose head gasket. - thats 75 quid in diagnotics - and the check engine light came on again the next day and is still on)

Can anyone advise if the above diagnosis sounds right?

Oh and anyone want a big mac whilst im going? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

sounds like balls to me (alledgedly, blah blah blah ofc)...

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle
17545 - Fuel Trim : Bank 1 ( add ) System too rich

try lambda first, clear, then re-scan.

bit-o-further googling:

VAG DTC 17545:
- Check fuel pressure regulator and holding pressure.
- Check quantity of fuel injected and check for leaks.
- Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister purge regulator valve -N80-
(still personally reckon lambda)

17705 - check DV and MAF

Out of interest, what local independant are you using?

sorry mate - should have said in forst post - im new to all this so no idea what "try lambda first, clear, then re-scan. " means

sounds like i need to get a cable and vag-com freeware asap??

wouldnt feel too comfortable naming names just yet mate - im new here and not sure who reads these pages.

lets just say if theyve read the above they'll recognise the car. i am in the north west of england, so any recommendations locally would be welcome!

EDIT : just been googling on this.

Found this thread:

http://www.briskoda.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=239049

Its a bit old, and it relates to a Skoda, but they are the exact same two codes and replace of a "dump valve" sorted the problem.

Is this a clue? Is there a technical bulletin 56 out there with the answer to my problems?

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle
17545 - Fuel Trim : Bank 1 ( add ) System too rich

sounds like an air leak to me and a new 'DV' may well fix it they are under £20 so worth a try do a search on DV's ect to see how to fit one