do i need to and can i recode ABS module with VCDS lite?

deejames

Reaction score
Hi,

i used VCDS lite to confirm my ABS module was faulty and have managed to find another with exactly the same part number. The car is a 1998 Audi A4 Avant i.8 petrol Auto

I`ve been told it should work providing the part number is the same, i`ve also been told i will need to recode the new one with VCDS lite and i`ve also been told i will need the full version to extract the code from the old one to put on the new one. I`ve had a look at the Ross - Tech website to look at functionality but to be totally honest i`m not sure what i already have will do the job or not.

can anyone help?

Youd need to look into the correct coding for your car.

Shareware Limitation(s):

• Coding charts and suggestions are not available in Shareware.

Youd need to look into the correct coding for your car.
Shareware Limitation(s):

• Coding charts and suggestions are not available in Shareware.

thanks for the reply, any idea where i can find the correct coding for my car?

once i have that can i recode with VCDS Lite or do i need to register it?

NHN or Brucethebear are probably best to ask, i just have the full version, worth its weight in gold imo !

Reactions: NHN
when funds allow the full version is on the cards, thanks for your help

I put together a tool for working out the coding of various modules after a DIS/Cruise retrofit. That includes recoding the ABS module, and shows how you can work out your codes if you don't know them - it was specifically for a B6 A4 though, so not sure if it will cover your model, but might be worth a look? Link is in my sig...

EDIT - OK, I'm guessing you have a B5, so will need to look at this to work out your codes:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A4_(8D)_Brake_Electronics_(Bosch_5.3_ABS/EDS/ASR/ESP)

Last edited:
Reactions: deejames