VAG-COM - Lamp on dash, but no error code

AL_B

Reaction score
I have often wondered if my VAG-COM is working correctly.

I had a fuel level sender problem, that when I checked for fault codes, the fault never came up. Yet visiting Awesome GTi not long ago, the code appeared for them. They also got an intermittant MAF error code (taking their word for it), which also was never reported by my VAG-COM.

Now, on the girlfriends, Golf GTi Anniversary, the "Exhaust emission warning lamp" came on this evening. The symbol that looks like an engine. According to the manual there are two warning this lamp can indicate:-

1) Blinks: If the catalyst can be damaged by misfires
2) Lights up: If a fault which reduces the quality of the exhaust gas (e.g. a lambda probe fault) occurs during a drive.

VW's advice is: Let off the accelerator, drive carefully to the next qualified dealer and have the engine checked.

So why has VAG-COM not picked this up? There is clearly something wrong. Am I expecting too much?

Cheers

AL

Will have to check my cable, as to which version. I think its HEX+CAN Serial.

Result at the VW dealership though....they have replaced (according to my other half) the coolant temp switch and coolant temp sensor. The temp sensor "exploded" on removal apparently, squirting coolant every where. So much so, they steam cleaned the engine.

AL