a3 1.8t fault codes

joebickerton89

Reaction score
hi all my friend was checking his car for faults earlier so i thought i would plug it into mine and see if it had anything wrong and i got to codes come up first one was 16486 and second one was 17978 ive typed this codes into google but it brings up immobliser problems yet mines fine in that way :/ if anyone could help and tell me what they will affect etc car seems to be running fine :/ thanks

clear them and rescan in a few days
could be old codes

Also post up the full logs not just the codes.

this is your 1st code
[h=2]16486/P0102/000258 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70): Signal too Low[/h][h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Loss of Power
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
  • Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70)
  • Check/Replace Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-diesel-cars G70 had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [meas.blocks-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm)
Retrieved from "16486/P0102/000258 - Ross-Tech Wiki"
Category:

[h=5]Categories[/h]
[h=5]Meta[/h]

http://www.aapexshow.com/

2nd code

17978/P1570/005488 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer [h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Engine starting but stalling immediately
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Key(s) not matched
  • Instrument Cluster not matched
  • Engine Control Unit (ECU) not matched
  • Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check for Fault Codes in Immobilizer itself (part of Instrument Cluster in many cars, but separate Immobilizer Control Module in some)
  • Check Immobilizer Measuring Values (usually in Instrument Cluster OR Immobilizer Control Module)
  • Match Key(s)/Instrument Cluster/Engine Control Unit (ECU)
  • Check Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply (Relay)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experience an Immobilizer related Problem! Even if the Immobilizer engages, the Engine will still start fine but cut out after 2-3 Seconds. If you are NOT experiencing this behavior (e.g. Engine doesn't start at all) your Problem is very likely NOT Immobilizer related.
  • May be stored in Combination with 01176 - Key: Signal too Low in Immobilizer Control Module.
  • If no other immobilizer related fault codes are stored and the immobilizer related meas. blocks are fine except Engine Start not allowed, in rare occasions it helps to try cold-booting the car. Remove both battery cables from the battery. Short the battery cables together (away from the battery) for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the battery. (Example)
  • Low battery voltage (including a faulty battery) may cause Immobilizer system malfunctions and testing should be done only with a known good battery installed.

okay il have a look at the first one but second one car but it doesnt stall or anything so il try and clear them both and see if it comes back