00542 Needle lift sensor (G80)

dan1

Reaction score
Hi guys

Vag-com has thrown this up... any ideas?

1 Fault found:
00542 - Needle lift sensor (G80)
30-10 - Open or short to B+ - intermittent

On a 2.5 V6 TDi

Any ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Reactions: Torkos
Hi,

Put my car on VAG-COM and got the same code!

00542 - Needle lift sensor (G80)
30.10 - Open or short to B+

this is on a 2.5 V6 TDi, 2001.

spoke with Audi and a mate at VW.

Audi wouldn't give me any information about the part or fault unless i paid them to put my car on their diagnostics system to give them te same error code i did!! Alan (customer services guy, nice chap) told me the name of a company who can refurb the unit and that its not that of a UNcommon fault!

However, VW, my mate called an engineer over who told me that the needle lift sensor is (on most diesel engines) inside the INJECTOR PUMP unit..costing £1436.00 + VAT on an exchange basis! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good job i was already sat down!!!

Could be lucky, the sensor mght not be in the unit (but knowing my luck...it WILL be!) Only way I will defo know is to give car to Audi and let them check it!

Details of the company that Audi told me about can be found HERE!

I've emailed them and as soon as I get a response I will post back.

has anyone ever cleaned/opened and injection pump???

Hey

Saw your post, bit late now but thought id contribute just in case any one else had the issue.

The G80 sensor on the TDI's, mine being 2.5 v6, is locatedon one of the injectors, the one with a lead coming out of it going into the wireing harness.

Mine was throwing up the fault, it is not uncommon, apparently it is the weak point in the tdi's....

Replaced the whole injector, its not repairable for about 200 pounds, Audi wanted alot more, but I got mine from helptoday (http://www.helptoday.co.uk/) they were much cheaper...

Arrived, fitted it and turned off the error code and all went well...

G80 is the sensor like A tdc sensor
on the A80 they used to play up and make the engine missfire
slightly harder to check on the 2.5 v6 but you can knock the top of the injector with a spanner and theis can free the needle lift up only in some cases, be carefull though
on the A80 you can hit the injector from memory no.3 and it will missfire even at idle.

Good luck

I currently have the same issue ( Open circuit / short circuit to positive ) but the car is driving perfectly except for lots of exhaust smoke.
Did you have the same issue or what caused you to get the diagonists done ?

Many thanks

im sorry i have a 2001 1.9tdi octavia and i have tried 3 injectors that are supposed to be in good working order and the code keeps coming back, can anybody help with that? the car has a rough idle and excessive smoke, black, and the mileage has dropped considerably since this code is appearing.

Sorry to revive this thread - Just wondering if this fault would cause a no-boost situation?

I have just purchased a 2002 A4 2.5TDi which isnt making any boost - scanned with vag-com and it brings up this code.

Thanks.

the engine ecu needs the info from this injector to evauluate the correct injection timing
its like a tdc/cam sensor on a petrol
so the car should not run correctly ie poor start/smooth running/smoke etc also can create missfire
this will affect the comencement of injection and can throw up this code as well

Needle lift sensor is the 3rd injector, acts as a TDC sensor for the ECU so (as towcestervag said) it can work out the Start Of Injection. If the needle sensor is defective the ECU will take reference readings from the crankshaft sensor and the speed sensor inside the VP44 pump so it can still work out the SOI albeit with reduced power and economy ! The needle lift sensor wont stop the turbo from making boost so you need to look at the boost control valve or clean the VNT mechanism. I would also check the MAF, if defective it will do exactly that as the engine will default to 500Mg of air per stroke so it wont go over 80 Mph !