Which Cable to use

Richie-o

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wanting to use VAG-com (VCDS) and have read a bit about the various types.
I read on Ross-tech the different K2, Micro CAN or HEX CAN.

I have seen cable version types 409.1 and 704.1 on the net but cant see the difference just the price, seems to be plenty of the 409.1 over the few 704.1, so assuming 704.1 are for newer cars 2004+

I have a A4 2.5 TDI Quatrro 2001 (B6) and would like to know the correct cable I should buy either version 409.1 or 704.1.
As I am unsure if I need a version that needs to support CAN.

Many thanks

Rich

409 & 704 are older software versions, 409 is widely used by older cars as its also shareware version, which given yours is a B6 with kline will work, but its locked down to limited functionality which only the genuine cables will allow full access, but depends on your usage really, but imho anyone that buys genuine will benefit from day 1.

704 are more than likely counterfeits which are not supported by RT, they wont entertain any info or questions regarding these, also risk your money as they go wrong & also whats to say they have any effect on the cars systems, your risk.

Latest genuine versions are 11.1.4& I sell these that come with full support from RT.

Hi,

Many thanks for taken the time to explain this, this started by I have a small fault.. also read you can change some of the features like auto door lock after 10mph... seen that you can get the older cable for cheap.
I wont be doing any hardcore re-programming.

I see the full versions on Ross-tech are £200-£300ish so anything I cant do it will go to the pro's anyway.

I may buy a cheapo old cable and see what functions are available.. will either be £10 well spent or £10 I should of spent on beer!.

Thanks again.

Rich