Key programming question

Breezey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Having recently just bought a 2004 8p a3 with only 1 key im looking to buy 2 of the newer style keys and program them to my car via vcds, my question is this can i just buy any genuine audi key i.e off ebay and a facelift key if you will and program it? or does it have to be the same old style 3 button remote like the one i have now?

Cheers

Goto audi, the used keys will only allow the remote functions to work, not immo as used keys immo chips are useless to anyone on the 8P, plus the security side of using outside parties with cars magically disappearing for apparently no reason, so my advice as I do, use audi no matter what the cost, peace of mind has its costs.

there are people/companies out there that supply/cut/program car keys & are 100% trustworthy other than the dealers! Audi just rob you in a polite way by charging ridiculous amounts for programming, just like most other main dealers.

As well as VCDS you need some software/equipment that will read the pin code. Also your A3 probably needs a precoded CANBUS transponder so you can't just read the pin code & program a new key. The transponder will need precoding with info from the car 1st by using equipment such as Advanced Diagnostics AD900 Pro & MVP/AD100 Pro

If the 10th digit of the VIN is a 7 then the transponder won't need precoding, if the 10th digit is an 8 then it will need precoding

With respect, I disagree, they have overheads that you & other indy's may not have, do you think that nice rather large showroom that entices buyers in, is given to them by audi, unfortunately not, they have to make money somewhere to be able to make the brand so worthy of our foot in the door, its tough for them aswell as others, I've seen the prices they pay audi for parts & trust me, they're not coining it at all, tighter margins than a ducks ****.

Also, I think you should give these dealers some credit, just by looking at your sig, because if it wasnt for them selling the nice cars, you may not have so many to work on.

Also with respect, there are no guarantees better than audi coding the car for security reasons, you maybe trustworthy, but there's no guarantees really of using an external company & you know aswell as I do, there are some decent key copying equipment out there that can copy keys in seconds, so who can you trust these days, audi dealers on other hand will not carry machines worth thousands to copy keys, odis/vas are there tools & to get caught doing so by audi would cost the dealer millions, so on this basis, I think you'd agree, they're the best guarantee anyone can get of keys being coded securely, no?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice chaps, think NHN is right this time round though i think ill just have to go to Audi and get a couple of keys done. Do you know if they can use the new style keys at all? spose ill have to ask.

I did a thread on the newer style keys mate, you can order these for your car no matter what dealer says, done it myself & coded by dealer perfectly, check my threads for the info.

Champion. What do you think they will charge per key? £200 if im lucky?

Well they would only charge you once for coding as both keys are done at same time, but depends, they may be nice & give you discount, only you can ask mate.

for anyone looking at getting keys Audi quoted me £370 for 2 keys including coding :sadlike:

buy the keys yourself, then go to Audi for coding???

This has crossed my mind but the only place to buy them really is at audi as ones on ebay may have already been coded and once they have been coded thats it.

have you tried Stoke Audi - they're site sponsors and seem to deal fairly with members. :)

have you tried Stoke Audi - they're site sponsors and seem to deal fairly with members. :)
No i havent but i do remeber them offereing good deals, it was actually cheaper to drive up there to get my S3 services than to have it done at a local audi deal so will give them a buzz tomorrow cheers for the reminder :)