Start/Stop on the A3

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have a new 2012 A3 2.0TDI-170 s-tronic that has the start/stop system. My wife has an A1 which also has the start/stop system but hers is a manual gearbox.

The system works fine on her A1 but with the s-tonic on my A3, once the engine has stopped I have to keep my foot on the brake. If I take my foot off the brake the engine restarts. When I was taught to drive many years ago I was told it was bad manners to sit in a traffic queue with my foot on the brake as my brake lights would be bright in the face on the driver behind me. Hence in the past I have also put my car into neutral and applied the handbrake. I know I can stop the start/stop system from working by using the switch on the dash but this is reset whenever the ignition is turned off.

Does anyone know it it is possible to permanently switch the system off using VCDS>

My A1 (185ps) has S tronic and the start stop is permanently disabled, I think it has something to do with the fact that a supercharger is fitted. Therefore it's possible I believe. I'm sure there was a setting within VCD's when I looked last time which you needed to check (or not) regarding start stop.

Yes there is a check box in vcds to switch it off
Well there is on the A1 2.0 tdi

Haven't tried it myself as I use the start stop quite a lot But give this a try
This is for A1 should be same on A3

[VCDS] Deactivate Start/Stop System
•Turns off the Start/Stop System
•Control unit "09-Central Electric">> "Encoding">> Byte 26
•Values:
•Bit 7[/quote]

Yes as above, there is a box to disable the start/stop, just make sure it doenst have anyother effects on other systems.

EG. someone I know had bigger wheels fitted & it affected his whole start/stop & brake recup system as his abs module was also part of the system & thus detected differences in the wheel turns & made the whole car systems go mental & turn of even whilst in use, hence when I got to work on it, I tried some different coding & found some systems disabled were a temp fix, but also gave issues, but some were corrected with coding changes, but all worked ok again with returning wheels to right size.

So for all reading, always keep track of whats coded & not, so can be returned to previous state as newer cars are becoming so much more technological & what you maybe think wouldnt affect one system, certainly could do.

Mine is a standard factory model and the coding of the 09-Central Electronics is:

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 8P0-907-063.clb
Part No SW: 8P0 907 063 N HW: 8P0 907 063 N
Component: BCM PQ35 M 110 0667
Revision: AJ110667
Coding: 4E000A2FA005F0C0207041E02100095C427E2BAA216DD12AE4008F840041
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 3FA38AB2AE669DB

It does have quite a number of extras which may affect the coding in the module including;
Acoustic Parking - Rear
Light and Rain sensors
Interior light pack
Electric driver's seat
Electric lumbar support
Heated and folding door mirrors
Electronic Climate Control
and being an SE model it also has a multi-function steering wheel and cruise control.

I will have a look at the module and it's coding and see if it mentions the Start/Stop system.

Last edited:
It seems that, on the A3, the presence of the Start/Stop system is recorded in the 01 Engine control module.

I went in to this module and used the VCDS Long Code Helper and found that Byte 6 is coded 01 and their is a tick in the box next to Start/Stop System installed. If I un-ticked this box the Byte 6 code changed to 00. Great I thought - it works.
But when I tried tried to save the change it came up with an error code saying that a WSC/Imp code was needed to save the change. I think this means a Workshop or Importer code which, of course I do not have. I assume this is to stop users like me from permanetly switching off the system.

My full engine module code was: 00 1D 00 32 04 25 00 08 00 00

If anyone knows how to get round this error I'm sure there will a lot of happy people on this forum.

Last edited:
It should warn you & give an option to accept the default wsc etc codes & then code the option, otherwise if it doesnt accept default then you can enter your own, like 12345, 1234, etc.

It seems that whichever of the three options I take for the 123/12345/... code I still get the following error: Code rejected. Error 31 - Request out of range.

Go into options on main vcds window, click the user identity tab & set the codes default in there, which will use them for any modules with wsc etc, see if that helps.

I've tried setting the numbers in the Options screen to 12345/123/1234 but I still get the Code rejected. Error 31 - Request out of range.