Changing instrument cluster lighting a3 8l

Karlos90

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this vag com stuff , just wondering how you do it ? I've managed change door locks at speed but this ones got me any help would be appreciated , I've had good look around and nothing helps

Cheers

Sorry so that the back lights aren't on all the time only when u turn on the sidelights

What version are you using?

On the lead it says dual-k & can <-> RS-232
With latest update available

Is tht Wat u need to know ?

Which update version is this please, software version that is?

I've done this on my 8L S3 but I cant remeber what I did. I'll have a look tonight when I get home. I think if you go into the code screen for "lighting" there should be a list of options if you hover the mouse cursor over the code. It'll be something like +1 for all lit, +2 for dials etc.

I will double check at work tomorrow , thanks got the suggestion will give it a try

i tried this but for some reason i only have 2 numbers instead of 5?

its a 2001 mate, so does this mean i cant make the dash light up with ignition?

All the above does is make the needles light up without the dials when the ignition is turned on. By default I think nothing lights up until you put the side lights on then dials and neddles light.

I'll have a quick check tonight and follow the guide above. It may be that the A3 cluster has slightly different procedure to the TT one.

The version I have is 20101206 with update 10.6.3

Scott I followed the guide above to the letter and it was identicle! I had a 5 digit number.

With your 2 digit number if you hover your mouse cursor over the number it should give you a list of the features that module can do. Take note of the number you have and try putting in the following code if it lets you and see what happens. 10010

tried it again and it still shows 10 but when i hover cursor over it nothing happens could it be cause i have one of those ebay leads?. when i try and change the number it just reverts back to 10..

its vag com i have that fully activated but it still wont let me do anything and why is it only 2 numbers for me

You can use VCDS with an ebay cable but it wont be a fully licensed working copy unless you have unlocked it with a genuine ross-tech cable. The license for the software is stored on the cable. Very clever stuff. So they give the software away for free but charge £250+ for one of their cables.

on the about page it says fully registered/activated is this not the case?

i downloaded the shareware vertion from ross-tech and it wont even scan channel19...might have to invest in the real deal:yes:

Last edited:
i downloaded the shareware vertion from ross-tech and it wont even scan channel19...might have to invest in the real deal:yes:

The real deal is a very handy tool indeed. If you PM "NHN" he sells them for around £250.

I have saved so much money by doing my own diagnostics instead of paying Audi £60 every time.

i have saved a fortune to on my old mk3 golf, just never got round to buying a 'real' version

Yeap that'll be me, PM me if interested, thanks westle :)

Westle, can you go into channel 19 & see if it gives you a description of the channel & also what comes it shows, can you post a pic like scott has please westle.

Scott, if you saved so much on your golf then use some of that dough for genuine mate :p

Here you go lads:

2444-instruments.jpg

Kinda answers the whole issue really, what do you notice that I do for illumination?

Haha yeah I did spot that last night when I took the screen shot. 2002 onwards.

Just out of interest do you know what the difference is between DIS 1 and 2 and also what is "Remote Clock"?

DIS 1 & 2 are your trip counters mate, 1 is per trip, other is a rolling counter for mileage, mpg etc etc & remote clock is a little module that picks up the radio transmitted clock time so it remains correct all the time, dont think its broadcasted in the UK tbh, something been meaning to check for ages tbh for my 8P.

I might enable that tonight and see if it works. No more adjusting the clock for daylight savings if it works.

I think that is does broadcast mat but you have to change your radio over to one of the BBC radio stations for it to work, that's how it worked on my old corsa. I never listen to radio 1 but when my clock needed changing I'd flick channels for about 30 seconds and it would change the time for me.

You need the module fitted, unless you have that then pointless enabling mate & it wasnt fitted to any UK afaik mate.