Vag Com 409.1

dex140

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me iv version 409.1 will work with my A3 8p 2.0tdi 140bhp BKD? I only have 409.1 and dont have the internet at home so cannot DL the new one(currently using work PC). Will it work? Dont want to damage the car obviously

Thanks in advance

i've read and cleared fault codes with that version, using a generic serial cable. dont think usb cables work with an 8P with version 409 though...

just trying whatever cable you have shouldnt damage the car though, it will either work or it wont...

Cool cheers for that will give it a shot when I get home!!

Can anyone tell me iv version 409.1 will work with my A3 8p 2.0tdi 140bhp BKD? I only have 409.1 and dont have the internet at home so cannot DL the new one(currently using work PC). Will it work? Dont want to damage the car obviously

409 works on canbus cars yes, which yours is, but its very old & will work on the generics as advised, but unless you have a genuine official cable then you wont be able to use anything later than that version.

If you ever are looking to buy the genuine cable PM me as I sell these.

dont think usb cables work with an 8P with version 409 though...

just trying whatever cable you have shouldnt damage the car though, it will either work or it wont...

USB should be ok, not heard any reports to the contrary.

Well that depends on the cable used of course, nobody can guarantee anything with generic cables or counterfeits as these arent made by RT, so your risk, but should be ok, only guarantee would be with a genuine cable.

Sorry to disagree guys. VAG-COM version 409.1 is not CAN compatible nor is the cable suggested compatible with the 8P A3. Take a look at our World Compatibility Chart. You will see that the 8P A3 is only compatible with CAN based tools.

It is possible that the 8P A3 may still have a module or two that will talk on the Klines but the 8P platform was released in 2004 and was one of the first Audi platforms to conform to the 2008 CAN standard for diagnostics. If you are able to read anything with a non-CAN interface, consider that a blessing and a gift.

The proper setup to fully diagnose the systems in the 8P is VCDS version 10.6 running on a MicroCAN or HEX+CAN interface.

Last edited:
yeah i can read everything, clear fault codes, and measure outputs using 409 on my 2004 8P. it is a serial cable though. using a serial-usb adapter wont work. and most the "usb" cables on ebay are just serial cables with built-in serial-usb adaption so prob wont work either

Sorry to disagree guys. VAG-COM version 409.1 is not CAN compatible nor is the cable suggested compatible with the 8P A3. Take a look at our World Compatibility Chart. You will see that the 8P A3 is only compatible with CAN based tools.

It is possible that the 8P A3 may still have a module or two that will talk on the Klines but the 8P platform was released in 2004 and was one of the first Audi platforms to conform to the 2008 CAN standard for diagnostics. If you are able to read anything with a non-CAN interface, consider that a blessing and a gift.

Hate to question your knowledge Bruce as you know it better than me but I'm sure the revision history states that even 404 beforehand was can compatible, so 409 should easily be yes or did I read it wrong:

Release 404 posted 29 April 2004
  • Support for HEX+CAN interfaces and all 2005 Model VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda passenger vehicles including those requiring a direct CAN connection for diagnostics with an appropriate CAN-capable interface.
  • Includes all additional enhancements introduced in Beta versions 401.2, 402.3, and 403.1.
  • Adds support for the KEY-COM and KEY-USB Interfaces.
  • Adds enhanced labels for Measuring Blocks, Adaptation Channels, and Recode screens.
  • Adds suggested coding values for Airbag controllers.
  • This version is no longer supported. Users should update to a newer version.

:redface: Oooops .... Guess I need to review the revision history. HEX+CAN interfaces were released in 2004. I should have thought that through. Thanks Nigel. I stand corrected.

Still the OP is not talking about a HEX+CAN interface - was he? Maybe he was.

Ok cool learn something new everyday, nah his original query was if the version would support the 8P (iirc), not a specific cable, but I suspect your correct on this aswell mate interms of the cable he has atm.

At the time this topic was created VAG-COM 409 had already reached it's "End of Life" status. It had been replaced by VCDS-lite. After all Bruce is totally correct that in combination with 3rd party hardware neither VAG-COM 409 nor VCDS-lite do support diagnostics via CAN. In fact the entire CAN functionality is not part of VCDS-lite.