lightenned flywheel

amb276s3

bird spotter
Reaction score
AMD are fitting a "Spec" lightenned flywheel on my s3 friday 19th, has anyone had similar or heard any comments, only disadvantage ive heard is some noise when throttle off. Cheers for any replys.

I'd heard cars were a lot less smooth afterwards. Isn't that the whole idea - a more immediate reaction due to the lower weight.

I'll be interested to see how your engine idle with climate control on, copes with the decreased load on the engine.

Last time I fitted one, it was to a car with air-con (not full climate) and the idle is way out...it's about 300RPM high as the ECU adjusts the idle when air con cuts in / is switched on, but the engine no longer has the same load on it...hence the high idle.
Oh, and it fails it's MOT because of it!

I would think the S3's ECU would be able to regulate idle more effectively...but time will tell.
Please let us know.

As ScoTTy says, it will be rougher at idle, and stall more easily...but it should rev up a bit smoother....but I'd not expect lightening fast revs as the cams just don't work that way on a 1.8T.

An interesting project though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hey Glen, I know there can be issues with lightweight flywheels, but what about the moderate ones such as the 14lb VR6 one piece steel flywheel? It's not too extreme, such as the 7lb aluminium ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Costa (XXX1.8T) was going to get the ECS stage 1 clutch flywheel on his A3, so am hoping for some good results from him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

IIRC the std dual-mass flywheel on the 1.8T weighs in at 22lbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And costs somewhere around the US$600 mark (That's JUST the flywheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif)

I've got a lightened g60 flywheel on the glof. I needed it to fit a larger diameter clutch. It's aprox half the weight of the dual mass item.

Car idles perfectly with climate off or on, and thats with 550cc injectors.

You do get a bit og dearbox chatter at idle though.

[ QUOTE ]
GolfTTish said:

Car idles perfectly with climate off or on, and thats with 550cc injectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has yours been mapped to take account of the light flywheel?

If not, it sounds like the newer ECUs will regulate the idle regadless of flywheel weight..which is good news.

It wasn't when it was first installed, and I had no problems. The cars had a bigger turbo, and has been mapped since though.

Hi
I`ve been runing with a lightweight flywheel and clutch for a while and it gets a thumbs up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

SimonS3MTM

Hi,
Have just spoke with Amd today, flywheel and clutch are a "spec stage 2" part alloy, assured that idle etc will be ok, only issue is if you engage too higher gear for your speed you get a bit of chatter but only at the point where you would normally stall, if that makes sense to you, but will make car much more responsive.

AMD quote around 450 for clutch, same for flywheel , oh plus labour 8hrs and vat, about 1600 all in if everything goes as planned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
amb276s3 said:
AMD quote around 450 for clutch, same for flywheel , oh plus labour 8hrs and vat, about 1600 all in if everything goes as planned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thats a load a dosh. Hope you get what you expect!

I've driven Simon's S3 with the light flywheel and I confirm the impression of those TT owners.
It affects the gear changes but you also feel the car more lively, more reactive
For example start from stand still you have to increase the usual rpm alot but then when it goes it does go very well!
so if you can live with it then go for it but try one first

I have the ECS Tuning Stage 1 clutch and lightened fly wheel (14LBS) and have to say im very impressed at the weight it grabs yet still remains the OEM feel!

Great value at $400US for both clutch and flywheel!

889_x450.jpg

its rated up to 275hp so its fine for me very awesome product!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
Does it feel normal with every day driving?
Or do you need to rev it a little more?
Is there any extra noise chatter etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

nup nothing its sounds and feels totally oem best buy i reckon !!!!

What about the performace is there much of a noticeable difference?

[ QUOTE ]
XXX 1.8T said:
[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
Does it feel normal with every day driving?
Or do you need to rev it a little more?
Is there any extra noise chatter etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

nup nothing its sounds and feels totally oem best buy i reckon !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Costa, my wallet and my Frau HATE you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
s3mon said:
Light weight flywheels don`t have enough inertia to damp out the movement of the transmission gears relative to one another due to slack between the gear teeth. So the gear faces collide back and forth at a high rate while the engine is unloaded and cause a gear chatter or a rattling sound. Almost sounds like there is a loose part being thrown around inside the transmission.

I know a lot of TT owners who have fitted these flywheels and have changed the within days because of chatter. It dosen`t bother me because its not my daily drive.
SimonS3MTM

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, how light were these flywheels though?? I've heard of folks having issues with the 7lb aluminium ones, but the ECS kit uses a 14lb VR6 steel flywheel. So maybe that extra 7 lbs is what makes the difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I`m running a 9lb ali flywheel and a spec stage3 6 puck clutch c/w lightweight drilled clutch cover and it chatters even more now since fitting a new set of motor mounts.

SimonS3MTM

[ QUOTE ]
9lb ali flywheel and a spec stage3 6 puck clutch c/w lightweight drilled clutch cover

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Crap dude, no wonder you've got chatter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif That's a bit of "lightening" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not to mention ALOT of clutch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif How's she spool up?? Quick as hell I'd bet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

yep feels much more responsive and revs out much quicker than b4 i love it best bargain mod u can buy i reckon

as for the mrs im on skid row /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
when you say revs out do you mean hits the red line?

also could you post a link to the ECS parts as i was looking and can only find the 9lb one and that is way too light for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

HERE YOU GO!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
when you say revs out do you mean hits the red line?

also could you post a link to the ECS parts as i was looking and can only find the 9lb one and that is way too light for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

HERE YOU GO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Rich and this may be a silly question would that fit my B5 1.8T?

And how much can you get the 14lb stage2 one for?

Cheers buddy.
P.S. did you get round to looking at the prices for some EBC disks for me?

Thanks again

Spoke to ECS and the only one that fits the B5 is a 9lb flywheel.

i wouldnt be able to live with the clatter.

dual mass stays for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Rich did you ever find out why the 14lb one won't fit the S3?

[/ QUOTE ]

not yet. Will ask when ECS are awake.

Just off the top of my head, i would say that the TT/S3/MkIV VR6 all use a lightweight flwheel from the offset. Atleast lighter than the 1.8T fwd versions. Thinking back i think the 14lb flywheel for the 1.8T IS just a VR6 flywheel...

RIch

Can you confirm that one Rich as i would like a 14lb one im not to keen on going any lighter.

Right,

As long as the gearbox is an O2J, it should work fine! The flywheel is similar to a G60 item.

Rich