Turbo add on for non turbo A4 1.8

• Thread starter imported_bearboy
  • Start date
I

imported_bearboy

Hi,

My friend has an A4 1.8 without a Turbo. He wants to know if one can be fitted, how easy, cost etc?

I've told him it would be better to sell his and buy a 1.8T.

What do you think?

BB

id agree.

cheaper to insure a car that is already a standard turbo than the insurance on converting one.

easier to sell on after too.

most people will accept remaps etc, but would probably be wary of a turbo conversion on a car that didnt start out with a turbo.

Bearboy, you're right. Give your mate a slap round the chops and tell him to get the idea out of his head. There are soooo many complications when you're either fitting turbos to N/A engines or doing engine swaps - it's hard, frustrating, expensive work.

Chances are, if he has a decent car at the moment, selling up and upgrading to a 1.8T would only cost a few hundred. It's all about getting a good price for what you've got and getting what you want for a good price too.

Let's say he gets 2500 for the 1.8. Then he bags a turbo for 3500. Yes he would have spent a grand to get it, but would he rather spend more than twice that on a time-consuming project that might not even guarantee a good result?

Turbo installs / engine swaps CAN be done, but it's only worthwhile if you can stomach the empty wallet and if you're creating a car that's not available 'off the shelf'. (Hence all the sodding supercharged Saxos / Corsas etc!!)

The fact that Audi already produce the A4 with the turbo engine ready to go makes it a much better proposal to sell up and upgrade.

Get him told!

Drew.

[ QUOTE ]
Drew 2226 said:
Give your mate a slap round the chops and tell him to get the idea out of his head

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif