Volks AutosChris Nott
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Neutral

Status

Hold the front page on DUMP VALVES

Some time ago i also posted a thread on this almost taboo subject entitled "Whoosh" and i too was warned off by most BUT reading Foolish3uk's post i rang Baily Motor Sport and sort advice for my own A4 T Sport.
    They said that their Atmospheric dump valve (DV26 EVO) and fitting kit (FK96) will work with no problems (on the cold side) with my engine system but unlike Foolish3uk they advised me NOT to run both BOV and DV together, so......this is how it is !
    I have on order the said parts and next week they will be fitted, as a gamble and taking the trust of Baily Motor Sport i will let you all know the results.
    As my car is bog standard its a good place to start from so for Good or Bad i will be absolutely honest with my findings.
    If the post is with me expect a reply by Friday ish.
    Cheers Lee
    l8r.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Hold the front page on DUMP VALVES

i posted the origional thread incorrectly i ment to say that i had removed the recirc valve and blocked it off as with baileys recomendation, sorry for the confusion and enjoy your whoosh noise i know i certainly am,

good luck LEEZACE

2nd Gear

Status

just take the vac pipe off the old dv and leave the old dv in place

Neutral

Status

Cheers Foolish3uk for the good luck, and thanx for the input PeteTDI but if i go with what Baily MotorSport advise then at least it will disspell the myth of not been able to use a BOV, i will let someone else try leaving the DV in place minus vac pipe.
    Just had a look under my bonnet in preparation for the mod and there dosent seem to be a great deal of room under there, i feel a knuckle grinding session ahead [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    The location of the A3 seems easier, you got away with it lightly i think Foolish3uk [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

imported_dumpvalve

Good luck with the experiment Leezace, I for one will be very interested in how this works out. Once it's fitted, it would be good if you could get some scientific proof that performance is not affected - maybe somebody on here can link you up on VAG COM and analyse if everything's as it should be.

See if you can take some pics of the fitting (before/after etc) as that will be useful to all of us if this turns out to be sucessful.

Drew.

imported_stanA3turbo

let me know cuz i aint gota clue how to fit it or what to with the other dv. n if it works that two people who have had it n i will definately get 1! how much has it cost you? if you take off the standard dv wont that effect the sensor n send it mad

2nd Gear

Status

on A3 turbo's take off the recirc valve and blank off the pipes the two big ones, cut the intercooler - throttle valve in half and fit in an adapter,in the adapter fit the bailey twin piston DV take the small vacuum pipe from the old recirc valve and plug it in to the bailey unit, Satisfaction reached, my car runs perfectly and dumps correctly.(it is a standard engine AGU)

NO FAULTS RECOGNISED ON VAG 5051 WHICH I HAD BEEN CHECKING REGULARLY BUT HAVE NOW STOPPED, CHECKED FOR LACK OF BOOST WITH CORRECT AUDI EQUIPTMENT BOOST PRESSURE CORRECT AND SAME AS BEFORE BETWEEN 1.3 AND 1.4 BAR.

i am getting my car chipped up to 180BHP in the next month (hopefully) nd will let you know if it still works correctly.

2nd Gear

Status

two pics for you!

2nd Gear

Status

and this one

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Leezace said:
    Cheers Foolish3uk for the good luck, and thanx for the input PeteTDI but if i go with what Baily MotorSport advise then at least it will disspell the myth of not been able to use a BOV, i will let someone else try leaving the DV in place minus vac pipe.
    Just had a look under my bonnet in preparation for the mod and there dosent seem to be a great deal of room under there, i feel a knuckle grinding session ahead [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    The location of the A3 seems easier, you got away with it lightly i think Foolish3uk [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you miss under stood if you leave the the dv in place then you don't have to block off the pipes the dv with be shut blocking both pipes just use the vac pipe on the baily dv

Neutral

Status

Thanx for the pics Foolish3uk, and Drew 2226 i will do a stage by stage breakdown of pics to help everyone,good idea mate . Baily said when i asked about the MAF Sensor headache thing that the valve compensates for this by being a twin piston ensuring NO leakage of preasure ? i dont get it myself but Bruce Hatton (baily Motorsport) told me not to worry about the technical side of things as the EVO type valves have been tested for 6 months prior to sale and they produced NO problems with performance of MAF sensor issues [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] At the end of the day it is a risk but Baily Motorsport are a well respected company, i did do a little research on some feed back about them and it was ALL good ! I also got quite pally with a top dog at Audi of HULL so when its all running i will pay to have my A4 looked at on the Audi diagnostics machine.....Lets all have faith brothers and disspel this NO DUMP VALVE FEAR !!!
    I feel confident and thats all that matters at this stage if it wasnt for Foolish3uk already having one i would be jubious and waiting for the "i told you so" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Keep up the feedback guys we can all learn a thing or two here.
    The valve ,fitting kit and delivery was 155.10 inc VAT.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Pete TDI, i will certainly run that idea by baily as it might save a little more skin on my knuckles. cheers fella.

2nd Gear

Status

the dump valve for you was slightly more expensive, my A3 cost me 137.00 for the parts must be slightly different fitting.

the reason i took my recirc valve off completely was that they are always having diaphragm problems and leaking so it made more sense to me to remove it completely, otherwise could (possibly)cause some unwanted problems.

imported_dumpvalve

I'm really interested in all this, but I still can't get my head round one thing: In order to hear 'the noise' the valve MUST dispurse some if not all air out of the system, right? If not, you just wouldn't hear it.

How does this 'twin piston' valve pass the right amount of air past the MAF, if it vents it to the atmosphere?

Does the air get to the dump valve AFTER it has passed the MAF? If so, that would make some sense, as the air wouldn't leave the system until the MAF gets a chance to read the volume/flow. But I can't think that this is possible. Or is it? This has really got me thinking now!!!

Leezace, get this Bruce Hatton from Baily to register on Audi-Sport and give us all a technical rundown on how this thing works. I know advertising shouldn't really be allowed on here, but it would be just as much an answer to a much asked question than it is a sales-pitch. It really is a niche in the market that Baily are claiming to fill.

I know it may seem a bit Max Power to a few people on here, but I'm sure there are a lot of people within this forum, and thousands elsewhere who want their 1.8T to make the elusive 'tisshhh'.

Get this right, and Baily are on to a winner.

Drew.

Neutral

Status

Drew 2226, i will e-mail him now and advise him to read this thread and if poss either add to it or at least e-mail me, in which case i will cut and paste his reply for all here to read. Things are hotting up i feel eh [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

would this dump valve work on my engine with the electronic throtle (engine code AJQ) A3 quattro.

Neutral

Status

I would be guessing there shariain, someone correct me if i am wrong but i thing the dump valve issue is more an air flow dilema before throtle then throtle type ? ! anyone else ??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

the main issue was that the engine would go into a sort of limp mode, the air mass is already read as soon as the air reaches the main intake pipe.

thus the dump valve is dumping the air between the intercooler and the throttle valve.

it still retins the small amount of pressure needed to keep some boost,(this is how i think it works)

believe me it works, so i have trust in bailey.

they do different kits for different cars hust call and ask them.

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    foolish3uk said:
    the dump valve for you was slightly more expensive, my A3 cost me 137.00 for the parts must be slightly different fitting.

the reason i took my recirc valve off completely was that they are always having diaphragm problems and leaking so it made more sense to me to remove it completely, otherwise could (possibly)cause some unwanted problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

phoned bailey today and got quoted 155 for a dump valve for my A3 to move it on to the cold air side. can you post part numbers. or is this about right. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

the exact price i paid was 140.89. i did not hve the part numbers, bailey just put you through to the local p[lace to where you live, there put me through to r tec auto designsin st. albans.

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Drew 2226 said:
    Once it's fitted, it would be good if you could get some scientific proof that performance is not affected - maybe somebody on here can link you up on VAG COM and analyse if everything's as it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't need actually figures to prove that it doesn't help performance, you just need to think about it. The boost dumped to atmosphere during lift off would normally be used to maintain the highest possible turbo rpm so that pick up on re-acceleration is quicker.

Fact is you sacrafice performance for noise, for some that's a little price to pay...so the choice is yours.

I have a feeling that atmospheric dump valves WOULD affect later 1.8T's that monitor requested and actual boost pressures, but can somone confirm that isn't the case?

5th Gear

Status

so in summary

you pay more for a Dump Valve over a Diverter valve (my AmD viper was 65 group Buy price , Normally 85 Forge DVs are in region of 100 IIRC)

you have to relocate it to use it

you have to hack and chop about the IC to throttle body hose

and you sacrfice some performance for noise

imported_stanA3turbo

LEEZACE have you fitted it yet!

i have gota dv26 evo bov now i just need to order the fk97 kit which is 65.

i kind of understand what is needed but i am unsure on exactly what to do and i dont want to fit it and wreck my car or make it slower than it already is!!

bailey wern't that confident that it will make a loud wwtttsshhh but they said you can hear it, but you can hear the normal dv if you replace air box.

so can somebody tell me whether or not it does make a loud noise say like an RS or GT Turbo, if not ive wasted my money!

2nd Gear

Status

it does make a load tschhh noise, well at least my bailey Dv does.

2nd Gear

Status

i think we need to do a test on Diverter valves v dump valves on the same car on a rr to see if there is any loss of performance as on one hand with a diverter valve its keeping the turbo spining but the air will now be hot(having been in the turbo) and less combustable and with the dump valve you are letting the boost go and have to spool up the turbo again but as the turbos are so small it will spool up kwik anyway

imported_dumpvalve

Excellent......

imported_stanA3turbo

got all the parts i need now and started to fit it and flapped it!!

i need help fitting it plz, i cudnt undo the other end of the throttle valve pipe cant get down to it!

and does the vac pipe fit straight on cuz i havnt gota clip small enuf to hold it on!

ive got two bungs for the old dv.
    i wana do this weekend, the garage wouldnt fit it unless i had it remapped!!

so if anyone lives near b'ham n wants to help let me no plz!!

Neutral

Status

Dont panic Stan, the blue vaccum pipe they give you is self holding, i asked about that myself. ask foolish3uk about your throttle pipe mine is different being an A4.You dont need to remap. Good luck mate.

Neutral

Status

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img] DUMP VALVE FITTMENT AND TEST !!!!

OK people, i fitted the valve this morning and i have done about 120 miles on it today, here are my results....

1, NO problems with engine management system.
    2, NO power loss,lumpy or irregular running.
    3, NO fuel comsumption difference.

Now, i know that these are just my immediate findings but i will be monitoring my car over the next 6 months and i will keep posting any of my findings as and indeed if they arise.

I also drilled my air box while it was off and it now gives a lovely deep roar just like the K&N units but without the oil threat that can occur.

RPM seems to have become more responsive between gear changes too, whether due to the air box mod or the dump valve, i can't pinpoint but all the same it is better.

I have put together a pictoral fitting guide to help anyone wanting it, due to the amount of pics and text it would be easier to e-mail me requesting it that way we wont slow down this thread.

leezace@hotmail.com

Feel free to quiz me about the whole thing, you can still expect a technical overview from Bruce Hatton at Baily Motorsport next week but for now i can only say the valve works and it sounds awesome and thats that !!!

Thanx Foolish3uk for dangling the carrot so to speak and i hope many of you out there get as much enjoyment fitting one as i did.

GO FOR IT [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Cheers all
    Lee.

2nd Gear

Status

woohoo at last not only me with a perfect working baily dump valve, i now know of three that are running correctly with them.
    stana3turbo if you want i can post some pics of where it all fits, i did use a blunt stanley blade but definately recommended using a sharp blade as it says in the kit, otherwise you will be there for ages trying to cut a very thick and strong pipe.
    as leezace says the blue pipe will stay on without needing a clip, i put the other end of the blue pipe straight onto the manifold as in the instructions.
    if you get stuck give me a pm and i'll help you some more.

2nd Gear

Status

hey leezace i am an audi mechanic and i would definately notice if there are any problems as i drive A3's every day, and as i have said before i have flawless running.

at least we have a perfect running car with working DV hey leezace, next i think i will have it chipped to 180BHP is 345.00 a good price?

imported_stanA3turbo

fitted dump valve piece of [censored]!!

im abit disapointed that it isn't that loud inside but i guess that'll change wen i have a full system, is it true you need a remap before fiiting a full system!

i'm abit paranoid at the mo waiting for something not to work, the only fault i have is wen i stop the revs drop below normal but then go back up to idle rev straight away but this was happening before.

cheers leezace and foolish3uk you shut up alot of ppl. at least i know im the only person around my area with an atmospheric bov on an audi!!!!

Neutral

Status

Too loud is a bit max power dont you think. what you have there is a piece of proffesional kit stanA3turbo and the reason it isnt loud inside is because of the sound deadening Audi use in their interiors, again a sign of quality, wind your window down then you can hear it, come off the throttle sharpish and you get a lovely twhoosh !!!....ace
    Your dump wont be the cause or your slight rev drop/pick up because there is no pressure at these rpm, besides like you say it was happening before.....could be anything from dirty air filter, MAF sensor through to spark plugs. When did you get it serviced last ?
    As far as i am aware you dont need a remap just for an exhust change, could be wrong i am sure someone will put us right mate... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Enjoy

2nd Gear

Status

No you dont need a remap but obiously if it is remapped then you would get more performance out of the exhaust. now think when you are starting to get bored with the dump valve dumping every time you change gears you can close the window and you cant hear it anymore, excellent cause everybody needs a break at some time or another.

If you reves are dropping when you have reved it, and it is trying to idle i would advise buying some carb cleaner and cleaning the inside of the throttle valve where the butterfly is as these get coked up and cause exactly the same problem as you have described.

So far yorkshire and essex and where ever stana3turbo is from have working DV's, so if you hear An audi dumping then it is likely to be one of us WOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Neutral

Status

We should start a club hehehehehhe
    He who dares, PTSHWINS [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

imported_stanA3turbo

DONT GET TO EXCITED CAR HAS CUT OUT TWICE ON ME NOW WEN STOPPING AT A JUNCTION!

ANY IDEAS???

imported_stanA3turbo

i have triple checked all the pipes are tight,the blanking plugs are tight might try and change them cuz ive used two wheel nuts which do the same job!

i have used a bottle of injector cleaner in it 15miles ago and i tried to clean inside throttle body as best as i cud, there a deep black residue all inside and on flaps.

it is ok but if you come to a sudden stop from a high speed and take out of gear the revs drop to nearly stallin pos.

all the lights came on the first time it cut out and the power steering wouldn't work, the second time i dint have time to look just turned straight back on.

since then it has been ok but the revs do drop, they sometimes drop whilst drivin if your below 2thousand they drop a couple of hundred and you can feel it jurk a little.
    this was doing it before dump valve but seems to be worse now.

it is due for a service in 4000mile or feb, i was gona change spark plugs but have no idea how to on this car.

by the way live in birmingham!!

imported_stanA3turbo

p.s

to add to the bad news someone from an midland vw tuning just told me to take the bov straight off cuz it will melt a piston?

can someone find out about this please!

how long and how many miles have you had a bov for foolish3uk.

no matter what you do or wana do to these cars someone always has bad news!

imported_stanA3turbo

i'm not slagging bailey or regretting it, im just scared that the car i spent all my money on may break (according to some people).

i'm being honest thats all, i havnt done anything wrong i'm an engineer at rover i know how to clean components and fit them, it is blatenly my car. i was only saying so someone could point me in the right direction. there is no way im gona take off the dump valve ive waited since i could drive to be able o have one i just want my car to run mint thats all, without a huge service cost.

Neutral

Status

Hold on guys lets not get flustered here. Your problem was there before the dump right StanA3turbo ! it seems to have hightend since, my car has done the exact opposite, i had lumpy runnig at idle revs, it was like in a cycle...everything ran fine for 4 to say 8 seconds and then a lul in revs only slight but noticable almost like a mini missfire. when i had my mondeo V6 it ran as smooth as a babys bum because the V6 is better balanced but in my expirence a 4 pot engine tends to have a lul in revs, i dont know why but this is what i have found in most of my cars. Since putting on the dump the revs seem smoother, there is still a lul but less of one.....Now our new friend Drew2226 has the same problem as you stan, again before any mods. maybe we should investigate this common problem before we start pointing the finger at the obvious.....and the guy who told you a dump will melt a piston !!! well the guy talks utter turd burger....what a pillock, where do they get there ideas from ?
    If your not intrested in dump valves or things that shouldn't work ! then keep your nose and your oppinion out because we here want to try new things and we dont mind critisism so long as its constructive.I am sick to death of "you cant do that...it wont work...thats not how it should be !!!" F#*k off.
    what we would appriciate is advice,expirience, concrete proof etc.
    Sorry for getting ratty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast