newbie with a few 1.8t questions please

chol

Reaction score
hey ive just bought my new a3 and i like it alot.
however i know i can get it quicker or at least feel it boost more?
whats the 1st few engine mods i should be looking at?
where can i get it re-mapped and what bhp can i expect?
whats the best dump valve without a silly hissssing noise?
whats the best filter to get?

please help cheers

First step for me would always be chip and brakes, as once you change these you get basically a new car (in feel anyway).

You'll be looking at 190 to 200ish bhp (and over) dependent on the tuner claims, but personally I would do a load of research on the various tuners and the feedback on the forums and then make your feeling based on your gut. One person can say X is better than Y, but there are very very few people who have had more than one remap from different tuners on the same car and can provide a subjective opinion.
With the above in mind don't just go for the tuner who claims the most, but one who you believe will provide the best, and then I am sure you will be happy. When I did mine I went with my heart and bought the most expensive chip on the market, but I was more than happy with it, as the map felt like factory and boy did it go.

There is no Dump Valve on Audi turbo engines but instead a Diverter Valve which recirculates excess boost pressure on lift off back round to maintain turbo speeds. So if you fit a dump valve with the "silly hissing noise" you describe then you are loosing performance (Not much but some nonetheless).
If you hear a fluttering noise when lifting off then probably your DV needs repairing, if an aftermarket type, or replacing, if standard.
I still believe one of the best available is the latest standard Audi part, however you must expect to replace it in time because it will fail, but it is relatively cheap and easy to change.

An aftermarket DV will allow you to service it and maintain it, but they are quite expensive, and at low end tuning only allow maintenance and until you make some serious mods I'd stick with the VAG part personally.

Air filters are an issue many have different opinions on, and for me a regularly maintained paper filter is the best for filtration and for avoiding any issues. CAI filters or panel filters that use oil have been said to clog up the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor (located in the inlet system and measures airflow and air temp) and so some avoid them completely. One could argue if only a small (correct) amount of oil is applied then there should be no issue at all, but this is a subject that will continue on....so this is a personal decision and again do some searching on here for more opinions. Another option is stainless steel mesh filter, but again there is mixed opinion on these, and personally I've not had an issue with mine.

Do a search on here for 'N75 J' and you can order a standard VAG part that holds boost longer than the standard 'F' part, but do this after the chip is best.

There are lots of other cheapish little mods you can do, but once you get it chipped the car will be reborn and so start there, but do make sure you do the brakes as well!

Last edited:
thats some great info there m8 thanks. my car is quite throaty as it is, and thats only standard but would like a induction sound along with a kind of noticeable noise on gear change from the dv. what are my best options do achieve this without the hisssing noise i mentioned above. i know u tryed answering my question but still unsure on what u was saying.
great help though cheers

Hi Chol,

We can supply you with a remap at a cost of £305.90inc vat, which BHP model and year is your car. We can also supply you with a Forge 007P DV and a Green cotton air filter if you wish.

Please see our website for more information.

www.custom-code.co.uk

Regards

Custom-code Team.

Chol, by changing the air filter you will acheive a slight increase in induction noise, but to go louder you need to look around at the tuners and install a cold air intake and filter set-up, which looks good under the hood.

There are also DV's that will divert a majority of the air back through the system and allow some to vent giving a satisfying noise on shift, but again do some searching to find the right solution for you. I had a faulty DV (split diaphragm) on mine and it actually made a pleasent noise, but like a DV that vents it's not great for performance with the 1.8T.

The forge 007P DV is one of the most popular DV's out there, as is the green air filter (it seems), as mentioned by Custom-code.

Hi Chol,

We can supply you with a remap at a cost of £305.90inc vat, which BHP model and year is your car. We can also supply you with a Forge 007P DV and a Green cotton air filter if you wish.

Please see our website for more information.

www.custom-code.co.uk

Regards

Custom-code Team.

hey i believe mine is the 150bhp 1.8t 5v on an s plate.
what sorts of gains will i gain from all the mods u suggested?
and is around 300 the going rate for a re-map then??
cheers

The filter and DV you should look at not providing actual bhp gains.

The main gains are found with the chip and so is always the place to start with any turbocharged car as it unlocks a lot of power for relatively little cost.
Price wise these days I have no clue and would take a look at the home page on here where you can find most of the reputable tuners and their sites or specials. Cost is relative, because if it's next door to you and now teh other end of the country then some are happy to pay a little extra for that, but it is entirely a personal choice.

If you add an exhaust system into the package and have your car remapped then you will see additional gains, and you could look at around 210 bhp maybe more, dependent on the mods you go for and the tuner you use.

As I said before it is best to do some searches and see other people’s opinions, but also get an idea on what mods will bring you what actual gains, based on peoples first hand experience. If you pick a tuner then they will also be able to share a wealth of knowledge with you on what upgrades are best for your car and your budget.

hey i believe mine is the 150bhp 1.8t 5v on an s plate.
what sorts of gains will i gain from all the mods u suggested?
and is around 300 the going rate for a re-map then??
cheers

Hi,

With Phase 1 on your car you will see in the region of 190/200bhp and 220/230lbs of torque.

Regards

Custom-Code Team

sorry to bug into the thread what bhp would i see from a HKS filter 4 bar fuel regulator full turbo back exhaust system with 200cell cats and also forge fmic. was looking at getting a stage 1 remap what would the gains be with all the above included.

i have a 1.8t quattro 180bhp on 51 plate running ko3s turbo