Powerboost from ecotec

I

imported_Griffy

Has anyone tried this engine cleaner? Its a foam you spray into the air intake for 8 minutes while runnning the engine... its supposedly ideal for engines with high mileage like my Audi 80 (149,000)

http://www.ecotekplc.com/power_boost.htm

I might give it a try.. but first I need to replace my carb flange, the rubber is falling apart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would be concerned that the "carbonised deposits" in a very old engine may be the only seal left in some areas and be compensating for worn engine components...

They claim that these carbon deposits are not 'holding anything together' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif and I'm better off without them! Thats why I asked, I'm a bit skeptical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

This is what they say

This will give more engine power, crisper acceleration, better throttle response, higher top speed, reduced emissions and improved economy, as well as smoother running and longer engine life.

Removing the varnish and carbon deposits that accumulate in the engine’s combustion chambers, inlet and exhaust manifolds, has a number of benefits. Carbon deposits absorb power by impeding airflow, absorbing heat and creating hot spots.

They can also impair valve seating and generally reduce combustion efficiency, resulting in poor running, increased emissions and fuel consumption.

If it gave me more problems then i think i'd cry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Old engines often have deposits of carbon - we all agree on that. But it's the location of these deposits which may cause issues. Any tiny grooves/indentations within the combustion chamber may over time be 'filled' with the carbony gunk, which actually keeps your engine running ok (As Dave says about the engine compensating). If you were to remove these deposits, you could be running the risk of losing compression, which would not be advantageous in the slightest.

Up to you mate!

Older engines that are de-coked as they call it and had the carbon removed tend to burn a lot more oil as well..

I realise this is an old thread, but results I've had in past few days I reckon merits an update to it.

For info, the car is an A4 (B5 model) year 2000, 1.9 TDi with the 115hp 'PD' engine, 78000 miles on the clock.

I used some 'powerboost' spray from ecotek (£16 on the 'bay'), and I have to say the results are good (OK not as good as when i used this stuff on a modified hillman imp I had a few years ago but that was petrol and carburettor - not diesel).

Engine is a lot smoother, the charecteristic 'clatter' of a diesel engine is far quieter, and mpg has gone up as well.

So that I could 'test' it, i zeroed the mpg on the display about 150 miles before i used it and it was around 54mpg.

Now, 150miles after the powerboost spray and a mpg 'reset', with virtually identical driving style it's at 57mpg.

Power 'delivery' is smoother, and the engine sounds smoother too.

Not a 'scientific' test by any means, but I'd recommend it.

I'll follow this now with some Millers Diesel Sport 4 juice as an additive at each fill up with regular BP diesel.

Impster

Last edited: