MTM on PD130

QuottroA4

Reaction score
Hi peeps, was after some advice really.

I have just bought an B6 A4 1.9TDI Quattro which came with the MTM upgrade already fitted.

Problem is, its rubbish! No power or torque from low down and then the usual 'PD kick' around 2.5k....only difference from the std map being that power band is shorter than the std map!!

And if im honest, the power that you do get aint that great. I had a PD130 Bora a few years back and even in std form it was alot smoother and quicker.

I have just done a full service using OEM ginuine VAG parts abnd still no difference! Thought it maybe the MAF but a quick look on VAGcom showed the target and actual readings pretty damn close.

The car is in later this week for a cambelt, waterpump and aux belt replacement and I have asked the tech to check out all the pipework under the bonnet in case of a vacuum leak..but I still think this crappy upgrade is to blame for the poor performance.

How would I go about removing this unit? any ideas? As I would love to get it custom coded so I can have my old 'diesel power' back... :weight_lift2:

Cheers
Rich

Would depend if its an ecu swap map or a reprogrammed ecu map, only way to know 100% IMHO is to check with the mappers & usually MTM is gonna be QST in Haywards Heath who I have very low regard for, Kim Collins is the man there they should have record of what was done, be prepared for some serious arrogance but dont be put down by it, be straight direct & dont take any ****.

& welcome to the site

Hi mate

Already experienced the arrogence first hand as I rang him yesterday, apparrently these are 'solid state units and they never go wrong, so it must be a fault with your engine' - At the time I was stunned by his attitude, very unhelpful (as he refered me to a dealer for a diagnostic, I mean what aftermarket tuner in there right mind would do such a thing?)

His email did state that the car has been [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']fitted with a new eprom and MTM protector socket into the ECU, in which case what happened to the old Eprom? Can I reprograme the new eprom I wonder.. Think I will give the guys at custom code a ring as it was them I was goin to go for to get it remapped.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Thanks for your feedback.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Cheers[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Rich[/FONT]

Would depend if its an ecu swap map or a reprogrammed ecu map, only way to know 100% IMHO is to check with the mappers & usually MTM is gonna be QST in Haywards Heath who I have very low regard for, Kim Collins is the man there they should have record of what was done, be prepared for some serious arrogance but dont be put down by it, be straight direct & dont take any ****.

& welcome to the site

Run a dyno test on VAG COM mate to see what it's actually producing.

MTM only seem to quote an increase to 163BHP and 350NM on their remaps, so I think you're right on it being a little low on power. In standard form they are regularly hitting around 145BHP anyway. Don't forget your A4 will be a bit heavier than your Bora with quattro too.

I hate ****** customer service too :mad:

Hi mate, how do I do a dynorun on vagcom?? -pls excuse me as I am new to VC but VERY eager to play!

Run a dyno test on VAG COM mate to see what it's actually producing.

MTM only seem to quote an increase to 163BHP and 350NM on their remaps, so I think you're right on it being a little low on power. In standard form they are regularly hitting around 145BHP anyway. Don't forget your A4 will be a bit heavier than your Bora with quattro too.

I hate ****** customer service too :mad:

Sorry, can't help you there mate. I don't have it 'yet'. However you need a fully licenced version to have all the features like dyno runs etc - it is definately possible though. There is so much you can do with it. Perhaps NHN will pipe up, I think he's fairly knowledgeable with VAG COM. :icon_thumright:

that engine should be running an edc15 ecu, which is flash programmable, not a socketed removable rom chip.

if thats correct, you can backup the existing mtm remap then reflash with any off-the-shelf 1.9 remap or even a standard map - talk to any one of the flash remappers

Perhaps NHN will pipe up, I think he's fairly knowledgeable with VAG COM. :icon_thumright:

Not as much as others, VRStu is more knowledgable, learn new things on it everyday.

So, from what you just said it seems entirely feasible to remap in the std fashion? Interesing...

Tbh, I would like to upgrade the power, but it means upgrading the clutch and I am yet to find one for the Quattro TDI :( If I could find a clutch I maybe tempted to change my turbo (which is whining alot.....just like the missus ;) ) for a decent PD150. Then get it remapped - Can this be done easily??

Rich

that engine should be running an edc15 ecu, which is flash programmable, not a socketed removable rom chip.

if thats correct, you can backup the existing mtm remap then reflash with any off-the-shelf 1.9 remap or even a standard map - talk to any one of the flash remappers

If I could find a clutch I maybe tempted to change my turbo (which is whining alot.....just like the missus ;) ) for a decent PD150. Then get it remapped - Can this be done easily??

Yeah that whining is deep in the gene pool mate, so remap the missus, why didnt I think of that :undwech:

Hmmm..

Pricy shopping list -

Uprated clutch and DMF + fitting (inc 4 wheel alignment)
PD150 turbo + manifold
B5 S4 brakes

I must be kidding myself if I think I got that kinda money... :jester:

How about I upgrade the ICE instead...

So, from what you just said it seems entirely feasible to remap in the std fashion? Interesing...

Tbh, I would like to upgrade the power, but it means upgrading the clutch and I am yet to find one for the Quattro TDI :( If I could find a clutch I maybe tempted to change my turbo (which is whining alot.....just like the missus ;) ) for a decent PD150. Then get it remapped - Can this be done easily??

Rich

...pay for a more powerful moan? are you mad????! :sos:

I'm dating an italian woman, I'll let you decide if I'm mad or not, lol

But a remap will make her more efficient, lol

Well alas, I now have the offical result in for that MTM 'upgrade'

SH*TE!!

I really hope that arrogant man - Kim Collins reads this forum as I would like it to be known that it was there wonderful upgrade unit which has knackered my turbo.

Took my car over to the trusty fellas at Derv Doctor in Ashbourne at which point Gav informed me that the unit runs the Turbo at 1.8bar when it is only designed for 1.55. As for the other 'settings' on the map, they were all to **** as well.

My turbo has now been sent over to the clever bods at Turbo Dunamics in Peterborough to be rebuilt and balanced, in the meantime the MTM unit is being taken off and thrown in the bin where it belongs...

Feel like sending the bill over to Kim as he was adament that the unit wasn't at fault was 'obvisouly a fault with my engine' - No other way round mate :wtf:

Anyways, thats my bitch and rant over!

Should have my car back by tuedsay (hopefully) complete with a proper remap.. :thumbsup:

Rich

Hi peeps, was after some advice really.

I have just bought an B6 A4 1.9TDI Quattro which came with the MTM upgrade already fitted.

Problem is, its rubbish! No power or torque from low down and then the usual 'PD kick' around 2.5k....only difference from the std map being that power band is shorter than the std map!!

And if im honest, the power that you do get aint that great. I had a PD130 Bora a few years back and even in std form it was alot smoother and quicker.

I have just done a full service using OEM ginuine VAG parts abnd still no difference! Thought it maybe the MAF but a quick look on VAGcom showed the target and actual readings pretty damn close.

The car is in later this week for a cambelt, waterpump and aux belt replacement and I have asked the tech to check out all the pipework under the bonnet in case of a vacuum leak..but I still think this crappy upgrade is to blame for the poor performance.

How would I go about removing this unit? any ideas? As I would love to get it custom coded so I can have my old 'diesel power' back... :weight_lift2:

Cheers
Rich

Glad you got it sorted mate, Im sure the rebuilt turbo might make up for some of your pain over the last while.

Cheers mate, will be glad to get the ode girl back as I only have access to the missus Fabia. Which would be ok if it was the vRS I tried to pursude her to get instead of the gutless 1.4 16v we ended up with :3sadwalk:

Glad you got it sorted mate, Im sure the rebuilt turbo might make up for some of your pain over the last while.