Problems starting and high tick over, HELP! :-)

mspah

Reaction score
Afternoon All,
Having a problem recently why by i am having problems starting up occassionally (not all the time) and the car seems to turn over but won't start, takes a few attempts and then it will but with about a tick over of 2000 rpm and when i rev, the rev drops for a split second and then rises, when you intially start moving the problems persist and then eventually disappear. Not sure what to think but just questioning it before i conside booking it in to AUDI.

Many Thanks

Specs:-

AUDI A3 1.6
T Reg 1999

Based on my experience I would suugest that this could be related to a coolant temperature sensor fault, which directly influences the ECU fueling and timing.

Plugging in VAG-COM and doing a short logging session would prove the point.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yeah will do, it's going in this Saturday, Taking longer to start up now, strong smell of fuel and sometimes rotten egg smell,

If it is the Temperature sensor or coil packs how do you recon for repair?

thx

Temp sensor is easy and very cheap. Coil packs are easy but not so cheap. If you can smell it overfuelling then I'd say the temp sensor is your prime suspect.....as I've had the same symptoms.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Where is the coolant temp sensor? HOw much are they? And is it easy to replace? i;ve had a faulty one for ages now, and kinda forgot to do anything about it.

Rich

any ideas where i could buy the part, (temp sensor), coz if it's easy i'll DIY it. Any ideas great.

any ideas where i could buy the part, (temp sensor), coz if it's easy i'll DIY it. Any ideas great

Try www.vagparts.com for one, but I think they're pretty cheap from your stealer as well...but you can check that for yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I still haven't taken a pic, but it's extremely easy to find and it's at the front of the engine on the coolant pipe....but even so I'll try to get a pic for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've brought the sensor, £19.60 + VAT. But can't find the fit for it, not less of course they've given me the wrong one, It's Green with a four pin connector that would fit. According to Gambba the one on the coolent pipe is a 3 pin connector. Is this right? i was told that there is to different ones and told him my reg and apparently it's correct. Any help would be great? thanks

I found it, Audi gave me the wrong one, on mine it's a blue connector not very big and uses a flat connector, the one supplied is green and has to have some sort of insert for the connector. So...... I'm hoping that they are open tomorrow to assist with problem.

Thanks for all the help. Fingers crossed i'll get there in the end. lol

Hooray!!! Thanks All, Problem solved starts first time every time now, not a problem, Thanks for all your help. BTW. Easy to fit, Easy to find as long as you local Audi Dealer has a brain that is, but many thanks.

Matt

Glad you got it sorted fella, just sorry I didn't get a chance to post a pic sooner of the coolant sensor.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif