Mods for 98 2.8 A4?

Dark2k2lcd

Reaction score
hey, I just bought a 2.8 A4, and being used to JDM cars, audis are completely new to me. I don't know what companies makes what or anything so i was wondering what is made for my car.

Specifically, is there a chip made for the car that would also take out the govener? Also who makes some of the more popular mods? (intake, headers, etc)

Might of known you suggest GIAC Wal!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

As I'm not sure where you are from in the world I have posted my full list.

Just to save you a bit of time ploughing through the search engines I've put my choice of top/recognised tuners for Audi's (VAG), and although originally was aimed at chip tuning encompasses general tuning as well, and does have a focus on the UK market;

Most recognised within the UK:
APR - www.goapr.co.uk/dealer/index.html - Good maps and well respected, especially in the US. Just released OBD* tuning. Switchable options using cruise control.
REVO- www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html - Good maps, one of the first tuners to offer OBD* tuning in UK. Switchable options using switch (Dongle).
AmD - www.auto-amd.com - More than just a chip tuner, they are a complete tuner unlike many others. Respect.
Jabbasport - www.jabbasport.com/Audi/Jabbachips/Contact/contact.html - For those that want to take their tuning that little bit further. Well respected.
Forge Motorsport - www.forgemotorsport.co.uk - No chip tuning of their own but they do offer a number of great tuning products for VAG cars.
* - OBD = On Board Diagnostic. Tuning which is done via the diagnostic serial port located on the vehicle, so no chip replacement is required.

European VAG tuners:
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - One of the longest running tuners for Audi's. A great tuner with a great range of products.
ABT- www.abtsportsline.co.uk/location.php3 - Again a long running tuner with good products. Official Audi chip tuning for The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium amongst other countries.
MTM- www.mtm-online.de or www.qstuning.com (UK dealer) - Well known for good maps with solid performance.
Projectzwo- www.projektzwo.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - Again a long runing tuner that's well respected.
SKN- www.skn-tuning.com or contact SKN (UK) Ltd. on www.scottsmototune.co.uk - Not so well known but good products nonetheless.
Upsolute - www.upsolute.com - Austrian tuner, well known worldwide.

Other recognised tuners for chips mainly;
Superchips - www.superchips.co.uk - Regarded as a general tuner offering nothing special, but map on 1.8T does produce good results!
Wetterauer - www.wetterauer.de - Not so well known german tuner, but still heard of. Used in both the US and Europe.
DBM - www.dbmengineering.nl - Similar to Jabbasport but in Holland. Nice product range with carbon air boxes. Produced a 420bhp S3 for the road!!
Bullpower - www.bullpower.nl - Very little known about this tuner, but show good figures.
Sportec- www.sportec.ch (Even though covered by AmD) - Relatively new to the UK scene. Good torque figures produced with the maps and satisfied customers.
Powerchips- www.powerchipgroup.com - Hardly ever mentioned on the forums, like Superchips, but look to provide good results. The website is extremely good, and the detailed datasheets provided within minutes of an enquiry are full of info. Available through www.mongooseexhausts.com or www.motorsportworld.co.uk <http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk>

The below tuners are mainly for the US guys, as some tuners are not quite so well known or even available within Europe or have different US websites to the above.
APR - www.goapr.com - Very well known both in Europe and the States and stage III tuning gives very good figures.
GIAC- www.giacusa.com - Again another well known tuner in the states.
Neuspeed - www.neuspeed.com - Well known in the states, but less so than the two above.
Greedspeed - www.greedspeed.com - I don't know much about these guys but the Yanks do from what it seems.
TAP (Total Audi Performance) - www.tap1.com - Again I know nothing about these guys but they do across the water
AmD - www.amdtechnikusa.com - Newbie to the States, but based on the European arm will provide good products.
Forge Motorsport - www.forgemotorsport.com - No chip tuning of their own but they do offer a number of great tuning products for VAG cars.

All have their merits, and really it's a personal choice, and you have to check around before choosing in my opinion. There are many other smaller tuners who offer chips etc. but are not widely recognised, but can offer options cheaper than above, so additonal research will pay off.
Do not think for one moment that the above is comprehensive, it is only my opinion and based on my knowledge of tuning, the products offered and comments I have picked up on my travels and is intended to be unbiased, but I do have a weak spot for Oettinger these days.

Gambba /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

why does the 3.0 chip gain 5-6hp and the 1.8 gains 60? how is that possible?

Because the 3.0 is a normally aspirated (NA) engine. Whereas the 1.8T is a Turbo-charged engine. Therefore, by simply increasing the amount of boost that the turbo spins up, you can drastically increase the amount of power. Since the 3.0 doesn't have a turbo or supercharger, then it's still getting the same amount of air in std or chipped form. On an NA engine the "Chip" usually just increase the efficiency of the engine. Making it run better, but not to the same degree as the Forced Induction (Turbo/Supercharged) engine/chip.
It's always more expensive to tune NA engines, and for usually less gain than Forced Induction engines. You'd need to strat looking at changing the cams, and other internals.

But I'm sure someone around here will have much more to say about this (Glen maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

This is what I have had done and am doing to my 1998 2.8L A4 Avant:

DONE:

GIAC Chip
AWE Drive Train Stabilizer
Euro Tailight Conversion (Amber Turn Signals)
Clear Side Markers
K&N Drop-in Air Filter
Full-Blown Aftermarket Stereo System

TO BE DONE THIS WEEK:

APR Snub Mount
Neuspeed Sport Springs
Koni Adjustable Shocks
Neuspeed 19MM Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed 29MM Front Sway Bar
Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust
Evo Cold-Air Intake

FUTURE MODS:

HID/Projector Conversion
Rear Spoiler
Full-Size Passenger Side Mirror
Auto-Dim Rearview Mirror
Brakes (don't know what yet)

Have Fun with your 2.8!

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Because the 3.0 is a normally aspirated (NA) engine. Whereas the 1.8T is a Turbo-charged engine. Therefore, by simply increasing the amount of boost that the turbo spins up, you can drastically increase the amount of power. Since the 3.0 doesn't have a turbo or supercharger, then it's still getting the same amount of air in std or chipped form. On an NA engine the "Chip" usually just increase the efficiency of the engine. Making it run better, but not to the same degree as the Forced Induction (Turbo/Supercharged) engine/chip.
It's always more expensive to tune NA engines, and for usually less gain than Forced Induction engines. You'd need to strat looking at changing the cams, and other internals.

But I'm sure someone around here will have much more to say about this (Glen maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Could add more, but feeling tired and still have to go see a girl about a cat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Amazing Drill, you managed to keep a post on topic and provide some useful info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Are you feeling alright? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Could add more, but feeling tired and still have to go see a girl about a cat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Amazing Drill, you managed to keep a post on topic and provide some useful info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Are you feeling alright? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What can I say, you're my hero and I want to be just like you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Only I can't afford the speeding tickets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

(There you go, is THAT better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Glad to see you're feeling better today! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

ok, so after dropping $1000 (or euro's) into a 1.8T and a 2.8, The 1.8T will have more HP, and thus will be faster?

Absolutely. There's not a lot you can do to the 2.8 engine for any significant performance gain without spending serious money.

i'm not quite understanding... without the $2000 turbo upgrade, isnt the only upgrades you can do to a 1.8 is the ECU and filter? (while keeping under $1000)

even once you have done those two, you'll still have less HP than a 2.8, and the 2.8 only weighs 200lbs more than the 1.8 so the 2.8 will still be faster

chipping an na car will be cheaper than the 1.8T. Gains are ~10-12hp, speed limiter is removed and rpm is raised. You will feel more throttle response and better performance at higher rpm. GIAC have been tuning na cars for over 13 years know they no there stuff better than anyone else. Contact a GIAC dealer near you.

I wouldn't spend any money on a CAI because they just don't produce the power that is claimed. Better to get a lightened crank pulley.

If you want to get serious then supercharge the puppy, you'll get close to 200kw of power without any lag.

You do have the option of the Supercharger by PES

Supercharged.jpg

would it be possible to put a bolt on turbo to a 2.8 quattro?