My 350bhp S3 upgrade (finally!)

Gavin Cooper

More power captain
Reaction score
After two years of contemplating i've finally gone for my 350bhp turbo upgrade. :rock: well almost....

I'll let you guys know how i get on! Pockets are a lot lighter now...

Car doesn't go in until 21st at Backdraft!!! I've gotta wait all that time!! arghhh!!!

350bhp at 6,400 rpm
332 ft lb at 5,030 rpm

Garrett GT2860RS
custom cast manifold
stainless steel charge, inlet and 3" down pipe
4 bar fuel pressure regulator
new haldex
hi-flow sport Cat
uprated FMIC
Brembo GT brakes

The kit runs on standard engine internals and standard jets? How?

Thoughts...anyone...stupid/crazy?? Advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Sounds good...are you upgrading your con rods?
Stealth put the eliminator on a S3 last christmas and the bloke said no to spending more money on con rods and they broke!

ooooh I would say 350 is right on the limit for the internals to cope. Good luck!

why the new haldex? is yours broken?

whats been done/ being done about the handling? It sounds lethal on standard setup!

Cheers for the comments guys - all good stuff....

1. The cost for the lot is £7k
2. Conrods - arghh now i'm scared....will ask about this! I heard it might be needed around 350bhp :scared2:
3. Backdraft Motorsport is doing the work
4. Haldex - no it isn't broken but a few people tell me it is a worthwhile/cost effective mod that improves the handling - especially when increasing the power.
5. Suspension is next on the list...next month - goodbye to pocket money :bye:

Thanks,
G

Reactions: Lev1
conrods 450 I think!? better havin them done gavin

Gavin Cooper said:
Cheers for the comments guys - all good stuff....

1. The cost for the lot is £7k
2. Conrods - arghh now i'm scared....will ask about this! I heard it might be needed around 350bhp :scared2:
3. Backdraft Motorsport is doing the work
4. Haldex - no it isn't broken but a few people tell me it is a worthwhile/cost effective mod that improves the handling - especially when increasing the power.
5. Suspension is next on the list...next month - goodbye to pocket money :bye:

Thanks,
G

7k? most guys around here have done the same convesrion for around 4k?

aah, you mean a new haldex controller. Thats fair enough.

Personally, I'd be doing the suspension, ARB's, tie bars and brakes before any of that work.

make sure that MAF and DV are changed as a matter of course.

Also depending on mileage, make sure water pump, tensioners, can belt and oil pump are ready for the extra punishment.

suprised injectors aren't on the list.

£4k that's sounds too good to be true! - who did the work? and how did they manage to get it so cheap? Did they do work themselves? and does that includes all the parts listed?

Sounds like I'm being ripped off :no: ...would really appreciate feedback before I waste a load of money!

New garrett turbo GT2860, race crafted manifold, TIG welded hand finished stainless steel charge, inlet and down pipes, hi-flow CAT back inc all fitting and labour £4k

Forge FMIC + fitting £950
Haldex + fitting £645
Brembo GT brakes front and EBC brake kit rear + fitting £1450

Thanks guys!
G

Reactions: Lev1
I've heard anything above 330bhp you'd want to upgrade engine internals, I wouldn't feel safe running standard internals with that much boost!

i paid about £4k for ihi conversion on my old golf. at 350bhp, i'd do internals. be worried every time i drive else:ohmy:

Just for clairty - the turbo upgrade on its own inc all labour is 4K.

What makes it up to £7k is all the other stuff I'm getting done at the same time...

G.

Surely the outright power is not the issue with rods, its the torque that kills the rods?

simch said:
Surely the outright power is not the issue with rods, its the torque that kills the rods?

I think they both come into play. Its around 350bhp and 330lbs/ft that you need to start thinking about the internals. Some go higher, and good luck to them, but its a bit of an expensive risk.

But I'd be more worried about putting the car in the nearest ditch. Uprated suspension and brakes are a much wiser investment than a big turbo.

ChriS3 said:
I think they both come into play. Its around 350bhp and 330lbs/ft that you need to start thinking about the internals. Some go higher, and good luck to them, but its a bit of an expensive risk.

But I'd be more worried about putting the car in the nearest ditch. Uprated suspension and brakes are a much wiser investment than a big turbo.

seconded on all counts...

Best keep mine turned down a bit then!! !lol!

I know the revs are liked by the two piece valves, but considered the S3 to be potentially so much stronger than the stock 1.8t, did not think a simple BT would ever get close to killing it.
There are a fair few stock 18ts out there running about on BTs . Maybe an accident waiting to happen??

But the backdraft people insist their disco potato will work on a stock unmodded 225 etc motor, even using stock injectors and coolers...?

Woudl they offer this conversion if there was a risk of it all going wrong? Or are their power claims a a bit ambitious...?

Been down to Castle Combe this weekend and seen Backdraft's Audi TT race car that uses the same custom manifold and BT conversion that's going in my S3 next week.

I asked again about upgrading conrods etc... and thier race car has been running 350bhp on all standard internals with no probs. They've done this kit for quite a few S3 now, again, with no problems.

Apparantly unlike the bolt-on Eliminator kit, Backdraft's custom cast manifold allows the turbo to flow easier without putting the pressure on the engine, which you get in the aforementioned kit.

Having said all that - I think it would be worth the cost just for piece of mind...

G

i had the rods fitted in mine. mines runnig about 360bhp, the pistons can take about 400bhp but if you keep pushing the car the standard rods will snap! have them done. Also you need a front mount intercooler. the twin side ones are not enough to keep that turbo on song for long!

its going be be eating into component margin running 350bhp level on stock internals.. If your on 20mm pin rods then all the better.

I ran on stock ibiza AYP internals for 35K miles on 340+bhp but always had in mind "what if"

Also had a mk4 Golf running hybrid turbo and 390bhp, which dropped a valve on me and totally destroyed the motor & turbo. It had pauter rods, which were some of the few items salvagable afterwards.

Valves are a serious consideration if you lift the lid on it at some point.

My current ibiza motor produces 550bhp+ on its uprated valves, since Oct 2005. (race car, race use, so extreme duty)

4wd and this power will feel ace...

badger5 said:
its going be be eating into component margin running 350bhp level on stock internals.. If your on 20mm pin rods then all the better.

I ran on stock ibiza AYP internals for 35K miles on 340+bhp but always had in mind "what if"

Also had a mk4 Golf running hybrid turbo and 390bhp, which dropped a valve on me and totally destroyed the motor & turbo. It had pauter rods, which were some of the few items salvagable afterwards.

Valves are a serious consideration if you lift the lid on it at some point.

My current ibiza motor produces 550bhp+ on its uprated valves, since Oct 2005. (race car, race use, so extreme duty)

4wd and this power will feel ace...
550!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus

thanks guys for the info.

I'm getting a Forge FMIC installed at the same time as the turbo and brakes.

Will get the rods done as well (probably in a month or so, need to save up some cash!!!)

If you wanted to take the s3 past 350bhp , assuming rods were done as well - which turbo / route would be most advisable and who would be best suited to complete the job?

G :racer:

Gavin Cooper said:
Been down to Castle Combe this weekend and seen Backdraft's Audi TT race car that uses the same custom manifold and BT conversion that's going in my S3 next week.

I asked again about upgrading conrods etc... and thier race car has been running 350bhp on all standard internals with no probs. They've done this kit for quite a few S3 now, again, with no problems.

Apparantly unlike the bolt-on Eliminator kit, Backdraft's custom cast manifold allows the turbo to flow easier without putting the pressure on the engine, which you get in the aforementioned kit.

Having said all that - I think it would be worth the cost just for piece of mind...

G
I would check this thread first and the others regarding Backdraft on the
TT forum,

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=93106&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Read it all the way through there is some interesting stuff, if you do a search for backdraft on the tt forum also there is some other threads worth a read

Personally i think if your going to change the rods you would want to go for a turbo that can produce more than a ihi vf34 or gt28rs.If i were to do it again i would definetly not use a ihi vf34.

Gavin Cooper said:
thanks guys for the info.

I'm getting a Forge FMIC installed at the same time as the turbo and brakes.

Will get the rods done as well (probably in a month or so, need to save up some cash!!!)

If you wanted to take the s3 past 350bhp , assuming rods were done as well - which turbo / route would be most advisable and who would be best suited to complete the job?

G :racer:
depends on where you are going from..
be it garrett or ihi based kit etc, t25 or t3 etc

if ihi, owens do a bolt on gt30/ihi hybrid which can do 440bhp
if garrett, skys the limit, depending on what manifolds there.... but pushing for higher bhp you may need to consider external wastegate. GT30R(3076) etc

equal length tubular's are the high end performance and budget generally.

goals and budget 2 main questions

my opinion,
Standard internals/+ rods i would use td05h 18g with the bigger exhaust housing and small td06 compressor housing should see 380-400bhp
vf34 with/without p20 housing is only good for 340bhp absolute max even latest vf36/37(bigger than vf22) is only good for 360bhp absolutely maxed out.gt28rs is only good for 340bhp and is similar power ouput to vf34 with slower spool.
Now for a "real turbo" big budget either gt3076r and tubular manifold and some decent cams/headwork with other associated mods...500+bhp. For the real animal although may be too laggy gt35 with a stroker 2.0 600bhp+

Cheers guys - thanks for the info. It's something to consider when I get bored with the new BT upgrade.

Car went in to today drove from Bristol to Milton Keynes...narrowly avoided the floods and traffic chaos. Set off at 6:45am and got back at 6:00pm...6 hours...in an astra:scared2:

It was hard leaving the s3 behind...borrowed a 306 for 2 weeks until I get it back...

2 weeks to go...:whistle2:

if i'm not mistaken a gt2860 is a gt28rs,get your internals done and chuck on a gt3071r or gt3076r 450-550bhp.

Just spoke to Backdraft yesterday - all the turbo kit is now on, along with the brakes, intercooler, dv, panel filter and performance haldex controller.

Just waiting for new breather hoses which were found to be clogged and new brake servo hose as it was split.

The longest 2 weeks ever!!

YEH!!! Got the car back - bjesus it's FAST! And improved handling with the performance haldex...

I love it!! Lucky me!!!
:jump:

Sounds nice mate! Have you got any pics of the car from the front showing the intercooler? Get some more vids put on!
Are you happy with it?

more vids on the way this w.e....
will try and use a decent video camera for better picture/sound quality...

yeh I love the upgrade, money well spent...great power all the way to 6000rpm....and it sounds awesome, even with standard exhaust...although Supersprint on the way next...

I overtook one of the NEW 2007 BMW 355i twin turbos the other day...BIG smile on my face...not on his....

:)

FMIC in situ

ga.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u111/S3Gav/Car/tn_S8000971.jpg