a3 90hp using a 130hp turbo

aiidonevs

Reaction score
Hello
I'm a a3 owner from Portugal and have been wondering if i fit a 130hp turbo in my '96 1.9tdi 90bhp will make any difference? Or even if it is possible.

BTW it allready has a box installed, so i guess it has about 115-120hp.

Thanks

You could possibly get a 130 VNT turbo and manifold to fit your car, but the 90bhp models have a wastegate, with a totally different boost control system to the 110/130/150 variable vane turbo cars.

You would also have to modify the boost control to get more pressure.

A bigger turbo is only really required on a heavily modified engine, when higher PSI and cooler charge is needed, without the turbo having to work as hard.

The best route to take with a 90 is larger injectors, and a remap to suit.

A larger turbo, modified boost control and front mounted intercooler can be added afterwards if you want to push your engine even more.

Hello.
I asked this because I kind of have a good oportunity to buy a A3 130hp used turbo for 200€ (about 150£). But just fitting the turbo wont do much power on the car right? And it wouldn't fit perfectly would it? (sorry for the noob questions, but no auto expert here :|)

I've also heard that since the car is too old i should change the noozles...
The remap is also a solution i've been wondering.

thanks

hi ,
your existing egr pipework will not fit on the 130 turbo manifold
so you would have to buy the correct egr pipe , more expense , the mounting flanges are at different angles