Nitrous?

PlebbyChris

Complete Pleb
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a nitrous oxide kit in their motor?

I'm tempted to give it a go in my 2.8 V6, should be an easy 25-50BHP but I wanna make sure it doesn't have too many adverse side-effects.

Does anyone know of any installers in Sussex/Surrey? Nearer to Gatwick the better.

Cheers

I had a Wizards of NOS 50bhp kit fitted by JBS Auto Designs to my Polo GTi a few years back...

Excellent fun! I had the Minimax controller with it, which made the power delivery very smooth and progressive, almost OE turbo-like.

It's not cheap to run though... £15 to £25 a week in gas.

Over the lifecycle of this upgrade, it might be cheaper to get a Supercharger fitted though.

Wizards of NOS kits are definately the best choice in the UK.

Well Supercharger is looking to be about £3500. It's an option but not a very cheap one. How much was your installation?

I don't think i'd use the nitrous that often, just when I need to really humiliate a suped up Corsa. Probably won't use it when commuting at 6am, although saying that i'd probably get hooked on it and use a bottle load every trip.

Does anyone know of anywhere more towards the south coast that do nitrous oxide installations?

Cheers

Sorry... Not sure of any installers down south, but it'd be worth the trip to get it fitted by JBS... Their attention to detail is 2nd to none.

I've seen some very scary looking installs by other companies, pipes and wires all over the engine bay. JBS make it properly stealth, which IMHO is worth the extra.

Anyway, I think my install was just over a grand. Once I'd got used to it (and stopped using it at every set of lights LOL) I only used to use it on a couple of stretches of A Road on my commute to work, just to get past some cars on a nice straight. However, at the weekend, it was great fun when, as you say, someone in a faster car is next to you at the lights and you smoke em :)

Yeah it might not be a bad idea for a weekend trip or something.

How long did it take for them to install it?

When you've got something as potentially explosive as NO2 in your boot, the last thing you need is hoses hanging next to driveshafts or dodgy connections next to ignition circuits; quality is worth the peace of mind.

Does NOS still work fine with if you have a turbo? I think in the future a nice turbo upgrade and a tank of NOS could provide some hillarious results :)

Cool, that big boot space will come in handy then :)

Got a quote of £1150 all in for the nitrous install. Might see if I can get them down to a grand.

I wonder how many 5lb bottles you could fit in the boot of an A6, could be quite interesting :rockwoot:

Forget the shopping, cram 3 11lb bottles in instead. Should go up with a bang when you get shunted by an old lady in her 1980s Nissan Sunny

i have run nos on my s4 for years now and had some wicked results..
i also have a spare unwanted 11lb polished wizards of noz bottle going cheap if anyone wants it??:icon_thumright:

can you get small bottles...like maybe sodastream size and link them all together? always been amused by the prospect of a hidden Nitrous system

not what i meant. ever seen fast and furious? he has about six small bottles in series under a seat.......stealthy.

but thanks anyway...

Sod having 6 nitrous bottles under your seat. You only need one accident and if the fire crews try to cut you out you might end up finding that you can fly (or at least bits of you can fly anyway).

Stick to a bigger bottle, you only need one tube and one regulator/arrestor/etc then.

Hi mate, I'm assuming you haven't installed yet.

Try Nev at F1Moto, based near Brands Hatch - 01474 850850

He has loads of experience from bikes to drag cars. I ran NOS on my Subaru for years, he even has a customer running it on a Ferrari.

:hubbahubba: Worth a trip to see thier RS2 and Urquattro if nothing else.

Nige

Hey Nige,

Cheers for the advice, Brands Hatch is certainly a bit easier to get to for me. A ferrari on NOS? Surely that's a bit of overkill, but I suppose if you have the money then why not.

I'll have to see what's on offer.

Do they do the NOS cylinder refills too?

Chris

Old post now so apologies if im too late.

Nitrous works better on turbo engines than it does on N/A engines, as it creates a big drop in intake temp as it starts to boil off when it leaves the jet.

Wizards of nos kit is by far the best on the market, on a progressive controller you should easily see 150bhp on your V6 without any problems.

Best place for advice is probably:
http://forums.nitrous-advice.com

The expensive bit is the refills, so it does depend on how often you want to use it.

Ive had nitrous on loads of different engines over the years, many giving approaching 100% gains in power, and ive NEVER had a failure from it, done properly its the most reliable method of tuning there is IMHO

As for fitting, DIY is the way to go, so you learn about it.

hey pleb if you cant beat a suped up corsa in you car then you should save the money and investing in some driving lessons!!!! lol

a 2.8 V6 should **** all over the fastest corsa!

Unless said Corsa is running a C20LET or even an XE engine. A 2litre XE engine in a Nova or Corsa makes for a rather nippy motor. The 2.8 V6 Audi is about 200bhp but will lose out on transmission losses so it's really quite feasble to have trouble with far smaller cars.

My little Ford Fiesta has made several Subaru Imprezas feel a bit stupid as despite it's relatively low power (circa 180bhp) the car weighs next to ****** all and doesn't have nearly the same level of transmission loss.

You never can be sure what the other guy has lurking under the bonnet

Exactly Oranoco.

I've seen ancient pissy little corsas that have been suped up to 200BHP and they weigh half the weight of an A6. The only advantage of the A6 over a suped up corsa is the top speed - and of course the V6 grunt. Plus when I drive the A6 I don't feel like a giant squeezed into a baked bean can. It's always amusing passing 5 people squeezed into a Saxo trying not to breathe too deep.

I need something for back-up at the traffic lights. A little button hidden on the dash that pins you back into your seat (until the crankcase explodes anyway).

Apologies for broken link, try this one:
http://forum.nitrous-advice.com/

As for the corsas, unless you are running 11 seconds, I wouldnt take for granted you will beat them in a drag race as thats what some of them are doing these days!

Well as I get older year after year I find my right foot getting lighter and wanting to head more towards the brake. Won't be long before I have to start braking in random places and parking aross 2 bays in car parks. Then I'll just have to get someone to shoot me.

I'm wondering how much power can actually be forced into a 9 year old 2.8 V6 (with 145,000 miles on the clock) without any major damage. Granted, I am slowly replacing pretty much every component, but I'm sure if I tried to force it up to 300-350BHP then there certainly would be issues. I was just looking at adding an extra 50BHP tops as I quite like to keep my pistons on the inside of the engine. Any thoughts?

Hmmm, just a random thought, has anyone ever tried just feeding an oxygen cylinder into the air intake? Obviously nitrous oxide is used in air intake as it has a higher oxygen content than air. So what if a small amount of pure oxygen was leaked into the air filter? Not a lot, just enough oxygen to up the concentration from 19% up to about 25-30%. I have plenty of oxygen available due to our welding supplies. I'm intrigued now, might try it on a company vehicle before I try it on my own though, he he.

Pure oxygen would be significantly harder to regulate the fuelling for, and the potential for turning it into basically a cutting torch would be massive.

Not a good idea, dont even consider it.

hmm this has turned into and intresting topic now...

still have a spare 11lb bottle and an auto bottle valve going very cheap...?
miles of -4 braided hose and i will probably be selling my wizards of nos progressive controller too, if anyone thats serious about running a quick safe car?

most of the kit from my s4 is now for sale apart from the solinoids
this saw my s4 to 550hp and a 12.222et 1/4 mile and ran consistant 12's

as said nitrous is the biggest and cheapes power gains you can add and as long as kept rich cant harm your car..

craig... bud you happy with it then???
my only concern with your nos is the size of the your pipe from the nos solinoid to the injector
when you start to run big jetting i think you will have big problems keeping enough pressure in it so your nos delivery will be dropping in great fassion and running rich. thats good as far as it wont hurt your car but will do no favours for your power gains... what - are they

ill give you some bruv....:icon_thumright: pm me

keep this topic going guys its good to know a few of us here are intrested

heres a little update guys

the kit is in now and im running 35bhp jets for now and ive also put in some bk7e plugs a step colder.

Here's a few pic's ive not got the bottle gassed yet as im waiting on the big one turning up :(

DSC03025.JPG

DSC03026.JPG

DSC03027.JPG

DSC03028.JPG

satans child said:
craig... bud you happy with it then???
my only concern with your nos is the size of the your pipe from the nos solinoid to the injector
when you start to run big jetting i think you will have big problems keeping enough pressure in it so your nos delivery will be dropping in great fassion and running rich. thats good as far as it wont hurt your car but will do no favours for your power gains... what - are they

Im very happy with it im using the cold fusion kit with a dyno tune purge the 35bhp jets are great and i might even move upto the 50bhp jet but i would prob keep it at that.

when the 35 bhp jets kick in its like the turbo pulls stronger and i see a little more boost.

you can defo feel the diffrance from no nos to the 35 jets what i have in.

as for the lines i think they will do for now as i dont plan on going more than 50bhp.

We are now selling these kits and doing refills

cold fuison from 400
nos from 550
dyno tune from 400