Idea for a few extra bhp on standard intercooler?

inigoj

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried rerouting the headlight washer system or similar (with a better spray nozzle for a fine mist) so that it squirts water onto the standard intercooler to get an extra 'evaporation cooling' effect?

Might be good for a few more bhp over short distances.

Not sure you will get any more bhp but you will reduce heatsoak so wont loose as much.

You are probably right, it will mainly just keep the intercooler from loosing efficiency, but you are bound to gain a little power with a denser cooler charge (more oxygen), as it will have better cooling than the standard intercooler.

Some land speed record attempts have used nitrous oxide/liquid nitrogen to blow over the intercooler to get the same effect.

Evaporative charge cooling is for seriously powerful engines, and gives cooler charge with a smaller intercooler, with non of the turbo lag associated with a large intercooler.

I am not actually considering doing this mod on my car. lol

Just wondered if anyone had tried it.

Apparently you can buy kits for spraying water onto the intercooler.

Squirting just water onto the cooler won't get you any more hp and will only stop heat soak in static traffic at best.......if on the other hand you were to use co2 which would take the temps alot lower than standard or at high speed...gains can be made in hp but unlike having an over fueled setup and then injecting in some Nos , you will have to have the car re-mapped or have it setup so that when you hit a certain rpm/throttle possition extra fuel was injected at or just after the co2 was inected.

water on the I/C does cool it down. Subaru fitted it as standard on some Imprezzas.
problem with the side mount OEM I/C is the lack of airflow.
The wheel arch liner mod is a better route to go.
Post face lift S4's have a louvered grill in the front of the wheel arch liner to let more air pass over the I/C's.
bit of careful ducting and you can divert even more.

I was very surprised about the noticeable difference that moving to an FMIC made to my care with no other mods.
Lowered fuel consumption on the same stretch of road, holds on to power longer, generally more responsive