300lbft from S3? How?

leecs3

thinking about stuff
Reaction score
Believe theres a few people on here with +300lb ft on their standard turbo. So come on, spill the beans. Not expecting a lot more bhp (260ish) out of my S3 but seems there room to get a little more torque out of the old 1.8

Booth_S3 said:
chip?

You normally have slightly more torque than bhp anyhow!

think it requires a little more than that. Mine should have 260bhp/280lbft (revo) but heard stories of +330lbft. Think mazzy has a torque monster?

Mine had 332 lb-ft...

You need a good custom map, improved ICs (a decent FMIC is ideal) and then you just crank up the boost.

If you aren't making 1.7 bar boost, you aren't making 300+ lb-ft...
I've never seen a generic map yet that gives over 1.7 bar peak boost....in fact I've never seen a generic map make close to 300 lb-ft despite some worthless dyno charts showing that they do...
On an indepentant dyno...it proves you don't.

So, the only way to get well over 300 lf-ft is to get more peak boost...
I was running 1.85-1.89 bar.
This was using many 'tweaks' such as the Milltek high-low cats (they allow the turbo to spool up much quicker so it's possible to get a degree of overboost there)...
I de-restricted the turbo pressure pipe from the turbo to the drivers side IC (removed the silencer/restrictor)...
I modified the airbox to let the engine get enough air for the big torque peak...
Run a different N75 valve to 'fool' the engine into overboosting - watch for running lean, maxxing out the injector 'on' times, EGTs etc...but if you can run a H or J without hitting limp mode, you'll get more torque via a higher boost peak there...
Or you could always resort to 'adjusting' (shortening) the actuator rod length...:no:

With all that lot and an aggressive map you should be able to see 1.75+ bar boost which should see you clear of 300 lb-ft.

Mine used to make 330-332 lb-ft on a H N75 and 315-318 lb-ft on the standard N75.

The state of tune my old S3 was in, it didn't like the J N75 - it hit limp all the time.
With the H you could run it much of the time without hitting limp mode...but in cold weather you hit limp.

So, you can add a MAP clamp to stop the MAP saturating and prevent limp...not something I'd suggest without being TOTALLY happy that you are not putting your engine at risk, but it can be done...and 330 lb-ft is possible.

My old S3 has been making 315 lb-ft and more for the last 4 1/2 years...

leecs3 said:
Believe theres a few people on here with +300lb ft on their standard turbo. So come on, spill the beans. Not expecting a lot more bhp (260ish) out of my S3 but seems there room to get a little more torque out of the old 1.8[/quote

I there........not shaw about 300lbs but i could shaw get you 400lbs..............but you would have to drop my oil burner engine in there to do it uuummmm LOL.

you rebore the block and drop in a diesel crank to get 2.1l then squeeze as much boost as possible!