AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Intercooler kit built up from Ebay bits

Just took a piccy of the complete Ebay sourced kit I have gathered together.

3" Pipe kit = Ł99.24 + Ł27.19 import duty, Ł126.43 (from USA) ( autogrimmig )
    Intercooler = Ł114.58 ( mx5-tuning )
    Reducing couplers 3">2.5" = Ł23.50 ( tuningpartsbay )
    Stainless steel for the brackets = free from work

To go on my AAN URS6 (4A)
    Jim B
    97 S6 Quattro Avant 4A AAN | Powerflow Cat Back EX | Milltek Hyperboost RV | FMIC | Washer fluid level indicator | Emerald green | HID's | MRC re-map 290BHP | Carbon interior | De-Chromed | Red Stuff's | Retro Wipers |

My 'other' hobbies
    www.liquidskylasers.co.uk
    http://smogthemog.blogspot.com/

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Looks good,make sure you get some good pictures when your fitting it.

Neutral

Status
    Got it all nearly fitted, just got to pipe up the manifold side, need some 60mm pipe from work, and all will be done. I am hoping I don't have to cut too much of the front bumper for it to fit over it - It got too dark for me to carry on today so I gave it up - Bad light stopped play

I will give it a pressure test after it is all fitted to 22Psi and hope the joints are all OK. The only thing that is worrying me is the 3" ally pipes have no beading on them to stop the pipes from sliding off although they are done up tight and don't move at all when wrenched about

If they do blow off after a while, where can I get heavy duty clips from ??

Jim B
    97 S6 Quattro Avant 4A AAN | Powerflow Cat Back EX | Milltek Hyperboost RV | FMIC | Washer fluid level indicator | Emerald green | HID's | MRC re-map 290BHP | Carbon interior | De-Chromed | Red Stuff's | Retro Wipers |

My 'other' hobbies

6th Gear

Status
    That is nice.I have smooth edges on my pipes and all is fine.Forge or dpm might sell the stronger clips if you need them.Send them a pm.

6th Gear

Status
    This might seem daft but is there any benefit to having larger pipes to and from the intercooler?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog
    Got it all nearly fitted, just got to pipe up the manifold side, need some 60mm pipe from work, and all will be done. I am hoping I don't have to cut too much of the front bumper for it to fit over it - It got too dark for me to carry on today so I gave it up - Bad light stopped play

I will give it a pressure test after it is all fitted to 22Psi and hope the joints are all OK. The only thing that is worrying me is the 3" ally pipes have no beading on them to stop the pipes from sliding off although they are done up tight and don't move at all when wrenched about

If they do blow off after a while, where can I get heavy duty clips from ??

Looking good...before you stick back together could you measure the bracket you made up for attaching the IC save me the hassle

Cheers
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    S2 Avant (slipper wagon spec)
    A4 AVANT TDI

6th Gear

Status
    Would i get any gains in fitting larger pipes to and from my FMIC?

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    no you would get pressure drop and turbo lag.
    What engine is it? I am pretty sure none of teh 1.8t's have 3" cold side I/C pipes. I had a development projetc Forge FMIC fitted to my 1.8t (180bhp Sport) and none of the pipes that come off or the silicon ones that went on are three inch.
    shouldn't make a huge difference to a bigger turbo but you may experience some lag on a ko3 or ko3s if your I/C have just increased in length and diameter.
    would be interested to see the finished product though

6th Gear

Status
    Mines on a diesel.Ive got 2.25" going into the intercooler and 2.25" coming out,but my inlet is 2.5".So was thinking about using 2.5" from the intercooler to inlet.What do you think???

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Wont make much difference, the system is governed by the smallest aperture, which would be the IC.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

6th Gear

Status
    I will leave it as it is then.

Neutral

Status
    The IC is temporarily off the car pending some new pipes. The 3"ers where not playing ball :o

They where crap to coin a phrase

Back to the drawing board and an order for some stainless mandrel bent 2.5" pipe segments

It isn't going to beat me !!
    Jim B

My 'other' hobbies

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro
    Wont make much difference, the system is governed by the smallest aperture, which would be the IC.
    whilst important, you will find that a hot side 3 inch pipe going into a 2.25/2.5" I/C inlet and the from the 2.25/2.5" I/C outlet into another 3 inch pipe on the cold side will completely screw you air flow and pressure.
    the intercooler itself creates a big enough pressure drop without having to deal with the air expanding into a significantly bigger pipe.

that set up has increased lag and I/C inefficency written all over it.

Neutral

Status
    That is exactly why it is being totally re-vamped with SS piping now !
    Jim B

My 'other' hobbies

Neutral

Status
    Had a day on my knee's today finishing off the FMIC fit.
    I also managed to find a decent place for the Power Steering cooler piping to sit - it worked out a treat
    I used tech screws to fit it in position using the rubber mount washers, that come with them, as shock mounts for the brackets.

I had to abandon ship just as it got dark as it started to rain

Just got the bumper to re-fit and it's all finished. Off to MRC then for the re-map

Some pic's below of the days proceedings.

All the Stainless bits where TIG'ged up, in house. It took me from 09:30hrs this morn, finished at 17:00hrs.
    Jim B

My 'other' hobbies

6th Gear

Status
    great job have just got mine and just need to fit it....dont fancy knocking up the same piping do you?..looks like it works a treat
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    A4 AVANT TDI

6th Gear

Status
    managed to pick up FMIC with 3" outlets .were did you get the piping from and the hosing in the end remember you saying last stuff you got was not to good
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    A4 AVANT TDI

Neutral

Status
    I got the 1.5mm, 2.5" SS piping from Kiowa through work. Any SS tube manufacturer should be able to help you out though. Do a Google and I am sure you will find summuts.
    Don't buy the ally ones from the US off of Ebay as they are not thick enough. They bend like hell when you tighten the pipe clamps.
    Invest in some HDuty clamps too - they make ALL the difference and give you piece of mind.

The silicone hosing (either end of the IC) was from Ebay username :- 1_regals_motorsport

The Samco's from Ebay username :- amberper
    Jim B

My 'other' hobbies

Neutral

Status
    Got the rest of it finished off today. The bumper was a PITAss to fit back on. Had to remove a fair bit of it internally, incliding a chunk out of the alloy cross member within it, but got there in the end.

The damage to the bumper in the above piccy was there when I bought the car

Jim B

My 'other' hobbies

6th Gear

Status
    A job well done.Its worth it when its finished.

Neutral

Status
    How you getting on with your IC fit Steve ??
    Jim B

My 'other' hobbies