Kim Collins QS MTM Chip/Exhaust Any good?

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of chipping my S3 and was thinking of going to Kim collins Audi Quatro sport for the 269 Bhp upgrade.

This would include the chip and exhaust system.

Anyone done this on here? Any comments, is it a good decision? any horror stories?

Thanks
Rich.

I know my answer is not S3 specific, but they fundementally share the same 1.8T lump. A very good friend of mine has got the 330 conversion on his TT and it is awesome!!! I also know plenty of other TT owners who have had theirs chipped on the normal package by Kim and they are all extatic with the results. Basically my opinion is nothing but professional quality. You may pay a bit extra over other tuners, but you will get shed loads of torque and the car will fly!!! Good honest PROVEN power figures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.s Here is the table from a recent TT rolling road day at Interpro in Bristol (just up the road from me). The results say it all really. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

interpro%20july%202003%20results-v2.jpg

From what I've read elsewhere you might want to ask Ram and John Roberts his views on Kim Collins first

IMO, they are overpriced for what they do... AmD will do the same thing for much cheaper, and equal quality!

When u conside that the 269 conversion is the centre section ONLY and a remap for £1200.. AmD get these figures purely from a remap, with a nice smooth torque curve.

Rich

It all depends on what you want.
My S3 has been chipped by MTM via Kim Collins. I did not get the car done, it was done by the previous owner (saved me a packet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) so I cannot comment on the customer service they provide. I havnt heard of any bad reports though.
I dont have the Miltek exhaust either, but have a Magnex cat back, which I think is virtually the same.
I can however comment on the performance of the car. It is exactly what I want, and suits my driving style. There is loads of low end torque, which is what I like as I dont have to rev the nuts of it all the time. (Although its still hard not to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif)
I have read on here countless times that "the MTM chip tails off as it reaches the redline," To be honest though I cant say I've really noticed. You do get a sudden urgency when you nail the throttle as I've said which smoothes out, but I wouldnt say it runs out of puff, if you get what I'm saying.
At the RR day at Well Lane that a few of us from here attended it produced 269bhp as quoted by Kim.
Heres the dyno plot
r88per-1024x.jpg

Theres also videos here of the day here Rolling Road Day Vids
The ones of mine are labelled rr_s3_blue.#.#

I'd definately say DRIVE before you decide on any upgrade.

You could always come to the Christmas meet at AMD and I'll take you for a spin. There will also be other people with different tuners remaps/chips fitted, and I'm sure if you ask them nicely they'll oblige.

What ever you decide - Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Slightly off topic but R88per, any pics of the Magnex cat back? cost and where you got it from?

There is not much choice for S3's so its handy to know.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but KC is a cowboy!! a few friends have had nasty experiences from him, wanted their money back whith no sucess, Boooo Hisssss Spitt!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif

Same here, I've never heard any bad reports about Quattro Sports.

The exhaust was on the car when I bought it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (more cash saved) The previous owner had it fitted at a local Magnex dealer. Have a look on here for your nearest agent Magnex Agents list
It was about £380 IIRC.

I'll post some pics up tomorrow.