A4 B6 2.5TDi Q Remap Help

G4JSG

Gotcha!!!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.oktogo.co.uk
I am now looking at a remap to resolve the lack of power under 1800 RPM the 2.5TDi suffers and also to get more power from the motor.

My car has the auto/tiptronic box and I'm told this affects which remap I can get.

So which remap company/product is best. Cost isn't an issue, just getting a better running car is important and reliability in the long run......I don't want to engine blowing up in 12 months just cos I had a remap.

Thanks
John

G4JSG said:
I am now looking at a remap to resolve the lack of power under 1800 RPM the 2.5TDi suffers and also to get more power from the motor.

My car has the auto/tiptronic box and I'm told this affects which remap I can get.

So which remap company/product is best. Cost isn't an issue, just getting a better running car is important and reliability in the long run......I don't want to engine blowing up in 12 months just cos I had a remap.

Thanks
John

I Had mine done at Superchips HQ, highly recommend them John, if you want a great very smooth map with reliability you certainly wont go wrong with these guys..Nice chaps too, know exactly what they're doing, i suppose being a VW Racing sponsors etc..and in the game probably the longest, they cant be bad. I know im really happy! they're price is 511, but if u want i'll see if i can get you a discount! they're saying on the website extra 20bhp and 58lb torque, but they seem to understate what they can actually get..

Rich

Hi Rich,

Your Mrs was singing their priases on Saturday. The price is quite high considering they don't offer rolling road tests for before and after and they also only show a 20BHP increase where as others seem to offer 35BHP and at the very least a good amount of driving around to test the remap once done.

My only other concern is only AMD seem to mention that my tiptronic gearbox will need to be reampped too. So I now don't know if I should go with AMD or if the gearbox ECU can be left alone.

So many options and so confusing.

John

If you get a remap then i'm affraid everyone will need to remap the gearbox ECU aswell as it also holds torque settings. The other option that works quite well on the tiptronic cars is a tuning box, this also means you can turn the remap on and off when you require to.

DPM (sorry I didn't get your name on the phone before),

Thanks for the update on the gearbox ECU. I take it this is included in the price you mentioned on the phone? Any movement on that price for being a member on here??????:yes:

John

Hey sorry to hijack your thread G4JSG, but I too have the same vehicle as you the 2.5TDi (53 Plate) '03 mine is the 163BHP and I am very much interested in the same thing as yourself. Do you have the "Tip-tronic" Box or the "Multi-Tronic" box as they are different i believe myself I have the Multi-Tronic which is a CVT box and therefore has a drive link chain and it is for that reason that the torque settings need to be looked at for the gearbox as I think the chain itself is only tested up to a maximum of 320Nm SO I too would like to know what my options are. I am based inManchester so would obviously like to find somewhere as close as possible.
I did consider a bolt on box but am worried that its not as good as a remap???
Thanks

I have the Auto box, tiptronic, as I have Quattro and for some reason it doesn't go with the multitronic gearbox.

I have got prices on tune-it bolt on box and remap but prices start at £500 and go upwards to around £750 for a remap.

Maybe we could see if someone would offer us a deal on the 2 cars being done at the same time?

G4JSG said:
Maybe we could see if someone would offer us a deal on the 2 cars being done at the same time?

OK sorry for the delay in responding been V Busy at work. I too have been checking around a few places for prices and have found what I think to be a decent guy maybe you guys know some more about them than I do but I spoke to a few people who are very happy at what they have had done. The name of the company is "Celtic Tuning" also G4JSG I only just noticed today that you live so close to me in stockport, I am in Prestwich Junction 17 off the M60 so maybe a group discount would be a good idea that is if you havent already got it done. Anyway I will include the emails I recieved from this guy at Celtic Tuning see what you think. I was impressed that he knew that my multitronic box needed seperate tuning and torque limiting.

Paul,

Thank for your enquiry.

As one of the UK's leading VAG tuning companies we can provide for all your electronic and mechanical tuning requirements. As we write and develop our own software it allows us to tailor our maps to suit every individual requirement.

The 2.5 TDi engines we can take from 163bhp up to 205bhp and from 229lbft torque up to 288lbft torque giving a very impressive performance gain and all within safe design tolerance of the engine and drive train components. Reviews of some of our TDi remaps are located here: http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/testimonials.html

All of our software has been developed on the rolling road for performance accuracy, reliability and to ensure MOT compliance for emissions.

The cost of the remap is £375 all inclusive for which we travel to your location whether it is home or work place. This comes with 14 day money back guarantee which gives you plenty of time to ensure it is exactly what you are after.

If you wish to go ahead with the remap please forward us your contact details (address, Post Code and Phone number) and we will be in touch. Alternatively if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Tony
Celtic Tuning Team - Passion for Performance

Then I emailed back and told him the exact specifics of my car as the first email was just a web enquiry regarding the 2.5TDi I mentioned the multitronic box and he sent this one back.

Paul,

we take the power down slightly in order to cater for the multitronic gearbox. We design the remap so that we limit peak torque in at around 2800rpm and give you a strong power curve up to this point. This allows for your drivetrain to be in motion and clutch engaged before placing full power within the system preventing strain occurring on the multilink chain.

Regards,

Tony
Celtic Tuning Team - Passion for Performance

Sounds OK to me and the price is very good so the only thing thats gonna stop me going for this is if any of you guys tell me to stay away.
Cheers
Paul

That sounds quite good as they come to your car and the price is more reasonable too.

Ask them how much if we both get to one place and they come to us?

John

Done John just emailed him this morning (Tues) also I did ask if the stated figures in his first email to me would still be true for my engine with it needing seperate tuning for the gearbox etc etc and he said

Paul

The power figures are the same even for the CVT gearbox as the limitation is the turbo on this setup.

Best Regards

Tony
Celtic Tuning

So thats great as most of the other people who offered me a remap are only quoting an increase of between 17-25 BHP where as this is 42BHP increase. I was told by a turbo engineer who lives near me (Very clever guy ex F1 spanner) that its probably because they have designed their own custom turbo map that they can limit the torque above a certain RPM and that its quite difficult to do it properly and therefore most people just offer a bare minimum increase so as not to cause any damage to the drivetrain "its just a case of better safe than sorry if we dont know fully what we are doing" was how he put it :)
Will let you know how I get on anyway John.

OK John he said they will travel to us at one location and do both our cars for £700
Seems good to me its only a saving of £25 but its better than a kick in the nuts and I think they are very competitive anyway. One other thing that has put my mind at rest about how good they are is all the new developments that they are working on on their website under the section "New Developments" It seems they really know their stuff not just offereing generic remaps for ridiculous money.
Cheers
Paul

John I have PM'd you regarding the above query however for anyone else viewing the boards then it does specifically say in that offer that it is for 1.9 TDi's only and ours are 2.5's just incase anyone was thinking that tehy may be trying to slap our asses for 50 quid :)
Easy mistake John ;)

Heres the quote:
Current offer: All Audi, Volkswagen, Seat, Skoda 1.9 TDi Remaps £300 all inclusive inclduing travel to your location! *

Well, Pete, from Celtic Tuning has just left. Arrived at 7pm and 2.5 hours later we went on a nice 140mph test drive.....which more than pleased Pete.

Over about 20 minutes drive around A, B and M roads the power seems stronger from any point you floor it. I'll be out in the Cheshire plains tomorrow so will report back more then.

John

Well I'm now really miffed.

I spent all day yesterday driving around in my car and wasn't impressed at all with the new remap.

I either had way too much power with just a slight touch of the pedal or drop outs when accelerating.

The tiptronic gearbox also was now having a problem deciding when to change gear and sometimes changing down or up a gear ever other second. At one point the gearbox wouldn't select any gears at all and ofter waiting 40 mins the nice RAC man came and said the car was in limp home mode and after a quick play on his laptop, whilst connected to my car, he sorted that out and I was on my way again.

I called Celtic and mentioned the problems. I was told Pete would be back to look at my car. This was better than I was expecting and was then happy to wait for a couple of hours to get this fixed.

Pete turned up and checked the car over with VAG Com and find no real faults. He then had another version of the mapping and did remap V2. We went out for a good drive round and whilst the fierceness of the power had gone the gearbox problems had not.

He called back to his office and a chap called Dave who was in Ireland then said he would try again with remap v3. It transpires that Dave has extactly the same car as me and is clueless as to what is causing the problems with my car.

Some time later we had remap V3 loaded and went out for a drive. Yes, you guessed it, the gerabox problems were even worse. I also noticed the power gain had almost gone and it drove with the same power now as it did prior to any remap.

Pete then laoded my original mapping that he had taken off my car on Tuesday. We then went out for a drive and my car was now back to it's smooth gearbox self, with the same power as V2 and V3 of the remap.

So remap V1 was mad power and I really mean mad, as you pulled your foot off the power the car accelerated more until you pulled your foot righ off the pedal, very fierce gear changes, around 40% lower fuel consumption and just a really wild mad driving experience. It felt like I was driving a manual A3 3.2 quattro I was once given as a service car, just manic power that was either on or off.

So I am now back to the standard mapping on my motor and have been driving around today very content with my smooth power delivery and smooth gear changes. I almost feel the £350 remap isn't worth the gains, gearbox problems aside, as the extra power only fills small gaps in the acceleration of the normal mapping and top end speed is no change. you get far more to the gallon and unless you drive "on the limits" the extra power gains are just not worth the money.

I hope this has been a good insight into the, semmingly, mine field of problems you might have when having yoru car remapped.

On as secondary note nearly every chip or remap place I called all said that my car either did or didn't need a seperate gearbox mapping loaded so it seems no one really knows how to solve the gearbox problem. Another strange thing is when aksing for rolling road tests for my car no one would guarantee my car would work on the RR as the gearbox is neither full auto nor is it full manual and it cannot be set to hold in each gear for the power to be tested.

All I would say it if you have anything other than a manual car you might want to get someone to try the remap on yoru motor before you pay and if you are trying to RR your auto car then make sure you try a place who has already correctly tested your type of car on the RR.

John

I had my old 2.5 (180) Tdi Quattro Avant Tiptronic tuned by RSD withi on of their Oettinger Supplied Programs, and I never had any bother with either the drivability of the car, or the gearchanges. One thing that I don't think was done on your car was the resetting of the gearbox. The Audi Tip Box adapts for your driving style and if that was not reset then you would have problems. If you want a problem free tuning for your engine / gearbox combination then I couldn't recommend anybody better than RSD

http://www.rsdcars-uk.co.uk

The A6 did nearly 150K on the conversion before I sold it and I believe it is still going strong today.

So did you end up keeping the map or not? and what would you suggest I do?

I am back to the original setup. I have left messages with Celtic to ask what they are doing about the problem but they have not returned my calls.

I have decided I wouldn't let them work on my car again but it's your decision and it may be a different story on your car.