Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 1.6 tuning help

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7

    1.6 tuning help

    hi my friend owns a 1600 cc a4 whats the best way forwards for tune it up abit i have thought exhurst chip and induction kit would be the way to go ??? any help would be appreciated

    allso who dose chipping for this engine ? and what sort of power will it make?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    I'm afraid you going to have to spend a whole heap of money for pretty much nothing in return. Put the cash aside and save for a better base for modifying.

    Why they produced 1.6 A4's or even A3's is beyond me.


  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw
    I'm afraid you going to have to spend a whole heap of money for pretty much nothing in return. Put the cash aside and save for a better base for modifying.

    Why they produced 1.6 A4's or even A3's is beyond me.


    well thanks ill let him know i guess that its all show and no go then lol he should have bought honda lol

  5. #4
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by blackshadow
    well thanks ill let him know i guess that its all show and no go then lol he should have bought honda lol
    nah, they're OK, they're just not fast or easily modified.

    at least he'll be comfortable...


  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw
    nah, they're OK, they're just not fast or easily modified.

    at least he'll be comfortable...

    lol ok mate i beg to differ my civic has a 1.8 un turbo'd engine that producse 167bhp standard and is alot easyer to mod than the audi "dont take afence but ive the better car" plus ive the addvantage on reliabilty too lol but the audi dose look good

  7. #6
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    sorry, I meant that the 1.6 wasn't fast or easily modified...


  8. #7
    dummi's Avatar
    smoking a6

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    brumingham
    Posts
    1,188
    hondas have that cheap tacky interrior and the engine is torqueless , max bhp at 6500 - 7000 rpm not impressed even if it does give 100bhp/litre, though i wreckon they are good econo boxes they give good mpg and have that vtec extra cam for the high rpm its a good idea for that application..
    i like the mazdas like the mps saloon and rx8, and the 1.6 a4 is a pile of sh*t it can't be tuned i think its the econo version of the range, cheap and comfortable. better of getting a turbo power is easily got, audi tend to underpower there cars, using small turbo's low boost for longevity i think. quattro is awesome on the a4's he'd be best saving for a 1.8tq rather than wasting money a 1.6..
    just a little a6

  9. #8
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by dummi
    hondas have that cheap tacky interrior and the engine is torqueless , max bhp at 6500 - 7000 rpm not impressed even if it does give 100bhp/litre, though i wreckon they are good econo boxes they give good mpg and have that vtec extra cam for the high rpm its a good idea for that application..
    i like the mazdas like the mps saloon and rx8, and the 1.6 a4 is a pile of sh*t it can't be tuned i think its the econo version of the range, cheap and comfortable. better of getting a turbo power is easily got, audi tend to underpower there cars, using small turbo's low boost for longevity i think. quattro is awesome on the a4's he'd be best saving for a 1.8tq rather than wasting money a 1.6..

    well i would agree that the 1.6 is a little torqueless but my 1.8 is ok below the vtec kick in allthough the 1.8 is heaver and is a little slower to 60 than the 1.6 and the 96 -00 interiour is no more tacky than the audi a4s so u must be talking about the 1.6 again i would agree but hay that is a small price to pay for what essentially a car that is really good on fual a is a wolf in sheeps clothing or in my brother in laws words a grandad car lol btw he has the 1.6 version vti u must driv e it before you pass jugment thanks for your kind words mate.

    ps the rev limit is not 7000rpm its 8300

  10. #9
    rickparmar's Avatar
    va va voom

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw

    Why they produced 1.6 A4's or even A3's is beyond me.

    so people like me can buy a 1.6 so we can get insured on it
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

    Still need Remap

    2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

  11. #10
    DIPS_A4's Avatar
    SEAT LEON CUPRA R (225)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    566
    i think that applys to the 1.9tdi engines the 90bhp version. which mine was its useless without a remap.

  12. #11
    dummi's Avatar
    smoking a6

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    brumingham
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by DIPS_A4
    i think that applys to the 1.9tdi engines the 90bhp version. which mine was its useless without a remap.
    its turbocharged so you have some potential there for upgrades
    just a little a6

  13. #12
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by rickparmar
    so people like me can buy a 1.6 so we can get insured on it
    tbh, that was more aimed at the 8P 1.6's.. my brother inlaw has a 8L 1.6, and that is suprisingly fast.....even with 3 up. On the other hand i had a 1.6 8P as a courtesy car, and it was the slowest POS i had the misfortune to drive.... I cannot even begin to think what a 1.6 A4 is like...


  14. #13
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    stop being such snobs against the 1.6

    it has obviously been designed for people who cannot afford insurance on anything greater. its a very cheap car to run. and as a honda civic vti owner, it's not alot slower.

    to be honest for 2k a 1.6 a3 is a bargain!

    7-8k for a heavy S3 is a rip. from what i have observed on this forum it goes wrong an awful lot. then costs an arm and a leg to fix. not to mention for something with 225bhp it doesnt particularly shift either.

    which is why i'm going back to jap cars after this audi, they have SO much more personality too.

  15. #14
    rickparmar's Avatar
    va va voom

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-K
    stop being such snobs against the 1.6

    it has obviously been designed for people who cannot afford insurance on anything greater. its a very cheap car to run. and as a honda civic vti owner, it's not alot slower.

    to be honest for 2k a 1.6 a3 is a bargain!

    7-8k for a heavy S3 is a rip. from what i have observed on this forum it goes wrong an awful lot. then costs an arm and a leg to fix. not to mention for something with 225bhp it doesnt particularly shift either.

    which is why i'm going back to jap cars after this audi, they have SO much more personality too.
    the thread is a year old mate lol
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

    Still need Remap

    2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

  16. #15
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    I'm loving the irony of these two statements:

    Quote Originally Posted by dummi
    hondas have that cheap tacky interrior and the engine is torqueless
    i like the mazdas like the mps saloon and rx8,
    RX8?
    That's not exactly a torque monster with a high class interior, now is it?
    It's all revs and go grunt.
    And the interior isn't going to have BMW or Audi shaking with fear.

    Not dissimilar to Hondas really...

    But you like that. Ironic, don't you think?


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  17. #16
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    You're reviving a 1 year old thread to say that you're leaving the audi fold after owning a 10 year old 1.6 A3?

    Don't forget 90% of people only post here to solve a problem too.

    2k on a 1.6 A3 is pretty decent as well. We've already concluded that the 8L was an alright motor. Its the 8P you have to steer clear of.


  18. #17
    Ess_Three's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,385
    Ahh...but to follow on this revived thread...
    The 8P 1.6 has a far better chassis than the 8L and so is much faster point to point...in fact, in many ways, the 1.6 8P is the nicest to drive of the 8Ps because the front is so light that it understeers less!


    Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

  19. #18
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three
    Ahh...but to follow on this revived thread...
    The 8P 1.6 has a far better chassis than the 8L and so is much faster point to point...in fact, in many ways, the 1.6 8P is the nicest to drive of the 8Ps because the front is so light that it understeers less!
    less understeer yes, but only just!

    faster point to point? even the NA 1.8 would be at its destination before the 1.6 had gotten out of second gear! I honestly dont know how they managed to make it so slow.


  20. #19
    icenutter's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    595
    I remember reading in EVO magazine that they reckoned the best TT was the 150 bhp fwd version as it was lighter resulting in less understeer.

    Still a crap car though.
    Last edited by icenutter; 8th August 2007 at 00:03. Reason: Spelling

  21. #20
    Oranoco's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    HertFORDshire
    Posts
    2,933
    My old A4 Avant was a 1.6 and that thing got the pasting of it's life and could be made to get the tail out at will. Superb fun, if a little slow. It was purchased as I simply needed a runabout with big boot to accomodate the missus horse stuff (saddles are bulky things). It did its job very well for almost 3 years.

    Can't do much/anything with them to get power out I just plomped for a drilled airbox and K&N panel (later of which proved more trouble than it was worth by fouling the MAF).

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO