Anyone know about garrett turbos........

The Slug

Reaction score
......especially for diesels, i have a few questions to ask. Cheers

fire away and you may get some answers. Not known for their deisel applications though.

Would the PD150 GT fit directly to my PD130 without any other modification? Thanks

are you sure they are any different? I know 130 and above use variable vein turbos as opposed std ones but I always thought the 130 and 150 turbos were the same.....

Do you know which Garrett you have at the moment?

I thought the 130 and 150 used basically the same turbo, it is a differant part number but no idea why, possibly because they use a differant intercooler so maybe the outlet diameter is differant? Anyway they both use the same manifold so it should bolt straight on.

99% sure the turbo from a 150 has the same capacity compressor so it won't remap more than a 130, but it should bolt straight on.

i wreckon this would be a good excuse for a hybrid turbo..

i was told that CC and vains where different, cuz theres a few guys running these Turbos kickin out over 220bhp and shag loads of torque. ;)
Just wanted confirmation it'll work without any probs.

dummi said:
i wreckon this would be a good excuse for a hybrid turbo..

Hybrid is 900quid and u lose yr turbo in partX compared to new PD150 for 800 and u keep yr turbo...seems to be better advantage doing it this way? What you guys think?

What hybrid and fitted by who?

How much will the map cost?

One guy i know on a Golf PD130 is running 207bhp off a Hydrid, bit less than maximum but it doesn't smoke badly either!

this is just me as i'm doing a hybrid on my 2.7t, but i'd swap out for one if my turbo needed changing on a diesel,

diesels only smoke when you up the fueling so really depends how you want it set up. be cool to have a smoker and non-smoker map on switchable

dummi said:
this is just me as i'm doing a hybrid on my 2.7t, but i'd swap out for one if my turbo needed changing on a diesel,

diesels only smoke when you up the fueling so really depends how you want it set up. be cool to have a smoker and non-smoker map on switchable

i'd have thought 220bhp+ on a PD150 would smoke like a bitch. Hence why i'd go Hybrid and less power. Still get tons of torque but won't smoke so badly.

yeah i think the only problem you will have is power in the rev range, you can't go wrong otherwise

Well this guy reckons his hybrid spools up from 1500rpm and he seems happy with it?

Oil burners are evil things if you ask me. I don't understand 'em.

to get less smoke, you up the boost and less fueling, so more fuel = more smoke

so a larger capacity compressor (from the hybrid) would help then?

Doesn't the Air/Fuel Ratio need to maintained? i guess it's not so critical in a diesel engine???

Like i said, oil burners are a bit alien to me!

regards to CC dont ohinstly know, thats why i wanted someones advice in first place, ref to Air/fuel mix, i presume so, mine hardly smokes cuz i drive a diesel the correct way unlike most other drivers, hehe.

So if anyone else has anymore info it'll be much appreciated, thanks

Tallpaul said:
Well this guy reckons his hybrid spools up from 1500rpm and he seems happy with it?

that sounds really good maybe better than standard

His spec is:

2003 Golf mkIV TDI PD130 Turbodynamics stage 2(MD 376) turbo, uprated sachs race eng. clutch, modified inlet, large FMIC, full miltek.

he reckons the 'the turbo is quieter, smoother, more responsive with less lag and noticably quicker acceleration, such a different feel to the car, and less smoke..'