Do K&N Panel Filters Make a difference??

leecs3

thinking about stuff
Reaction score
Thinking about buying one, but can you feel the difference? Going on a bit of a thrash with my friend (3.2 8P Quattro A3), want to make sure my revo'd S3 has the bigger muscles. What do you think??

no point, been tested and proven on here to provide no BHP, but give seom induction noise.

It definetely makes more of a sound when the turbo kicks in, which is all good, but I don't think you'll see any power gains.

i found maximum flow is same as stock filter, but its response to airflow is much faster particularly in turbo cars turbo got boost faster and worth it for that

in NA cars its almost not worth, car pulls a little better, but on the commute used more fuel, on NA i'd mostly stay with stock filter

why not a foam pipercross filter (panel) instead ?

Their cheaper & i would of thought foam would provide better air flow

foam isnot good as it breaks up and if it gets sucked into the turbo it acts like grit which will damage ant turbo, go green cotton or k and n but it wont give any xtr bhp, just noise and pick up a bit better. i have the k and n pannel filter on mine.

K&N in mine - more noise and maybe a quicker response.
Had foam filters before on a Mk2 Golf 16v. Found they got very dirty and broke up quickly. Not impressed.

i'm looking as getting a K&N panel filter on my 52 1.9TDi, will this make it gulp more fuel? also i'm looking at getting a louder dump valve for it, maybe an adjustable one, has anybody got any ideas where the best place to go to get either of these???

im interested in a dump valve for my tdi will it fit onto my model. i had a bmc filter took it out just put my piper cross panel filter back in again.

DIPS_A4 said:
im interested in a dump valve for my tdi will it fit onto my model. i had a bmc filter took it out just put my piper cross panel filter back in again.

do you seriously want a dump valve on a tdi think about all the boost you will lose you will be down to the original 30bhp or whatever the 1.9 puts out without a turbo pretty much.

dummi said:
do you seriously want a dump valve on a tdi think about all the boost you will lose you will be down to the original 30bhp or whatever the 1.9 puts out without a turbo pretty much.

True say i totally forgot about never thought about it was thinking about the noise more. good point man.:thumbsup:

mattyboy199 said:
why not a foam pipercross filter (panel) instead ?

Their cheaper & i would of thought foam would provide better air flow

It does, i notice a difference straight away, like many say on here probably no extra power but defo does something to the throttle respone, worth every penny for the Pipercross!

I put the free flowing panel filter in my, daily commuter bus namely my 2.8 Quattro and I did see a good power gain.

I used to have a Golf MK 3 GTi years ago and I bought a Air scoop and hose kit from Bonrath of Germany , which was connected to my lower bumper, fed directly to the air box this gave good power, the route for the air currently in our Audis is very restrictive in one way.

so I used the same principle as the Bonrath kit, with my Audis air box and hey presto more power...........ok not mental power..........but def more power ide say about 6 BHP and yes better throttle response this project of mine is ongoing, and I shall keep you all informed if I can reach a better power gain, think its cost me £15 so far for 6BHP not bad really.

A big problem for most if not all Audis is the dual mass fly wheel, we would all see better throttle response etc with say a chromoloy fly wheel the engine would spin up faster.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this Im sorry I dont know how to up load digi pics etc, unless somebody can put then on this forum for me.:blackrs4:

Nick

nick7602 said:
I put the free flowing panel filter in my, daily commuter bus namely my 2.8 Quattro and I did see a good power gain.

Well that's interesting...as I've never seem a repeatable 'good' gain..

I used to have a Golf MK 3 GTi years ago and I bought a Air scoop and hose kit from Bonrath of Germany , which was connected to my lower bumper, fed directly to the air box this gave good power, the route for the air currently in our Audis is very restrictive in one way.

I too had (and still have a Mk3 GTI and I too have tried the Bonrath air scoop, K&N panel filter, K&N induction kit, modified airbox, home made CAI...and never gained anything when dynod back to back on an independant dyno...
Some sound better...some seem to pull better...but no power (8v and 16v) despite the manufacturers claims...

so I used the same principle as the Bonrath kit, with my Audis air box and hey presto more power...........ok not mental power..........but def more power ide say about 6 BHP and yes better throttle response this project of mine is ongoing, and I shall keep you all informed if I can reach a better power gain, think its cost me £15 so far for 6BHP not bad really.

Have you dyno's it?

I ask because I did similar on my tuned S3 (275+ BHP/330+ lb-ft) and ran a 4" duct into the airbox from the high pressure area where the passenger side IC used to be, ported the airbox and fitted a K&N panel filter...and got nowt. Nothing...

A big problem for most if not all Audis is the dual mass fly wheel, we would all see better throttle response etc with say a chromoloy fly wheel the engine would spin up faster.

That's a good point..
I have a light flywheel on my GTI and it does make a huge difference, as you say.

Ess_Three said:
Well that's interesting...as I've never seem a repeatable 'good' gain..

I too had (and still have a Mk3 GTI and I too have tried the Bonrath air scoop, K&N panel filter, K&N induction kit, modified airbox, home made CAI...and never gained anything when dynod back to back on an independant dyno...
Some sound better...some seem to pull better...but no power (8v and 16v) despite the manufacturers claims...

Have you dyno's it?

I ask because I did similar on my tuned S3 (275+ BHP/330+ lb-ft) and ran a 4" duct into the airbox from the high pressure area where the passenger side IC used to be, ported the airbox and fitted a K&N panel filter...and got nowt. Nothing...

That's a good point..
I have a light flywheel on my GTI and it does make a huge difference, as you say.

well to be honest mine wasnt a standard GTi, it was ported and polished valves changed along with the valve seats, inlet manifold ported and polished, exhaust system etc etc. and I did gain a power lift, i was only handicapped by the awful air flow meter as you know is crap, I could have gone on and on deicided to stop chasing that elusive power hike,and just bought and M3 Evo then followed 8 M3 Evos one after another............tuned them with the help of a mechanic from BMWs touring car days. in the BTCC

Its like a drug really I just have to do something with the car to improve it in some way really, we went onto mitsi evos and subarus, hence me getting ****** off with the likes of UK tuners ripping the un- knowledgeable among us off, you want to see fantastic tuning parts look at the japanese parts, quality!..........I will say however that the aussies are making some great stuff at the mo, like white line suspension and turbo smart for beautiful blow off valves

nick7602 said:
well to be honest mine wasnt a standard GTi, it was ported and polished valves changed along with the valve seats, inlet manifold ported and polished, exhaust system etc etc. and I did gain a power lift, i was only handicapped by the awful air flow meter as you know is crap,

Neither is mine..big valve head 16v, Ti retainers, Schrick cams, matched and flower manifolds, big TB etc...and I still get no gain.

hence me getting ****** off with the likes of UK tuners ripping the un- knowledgeable among us off,

Oh yes..I'm with you on this one..

you want to see fantastic tuning parts look at the japanese parts, quality!..........I will say however that the aussies are making some great stuff at the mo, like white line suspension and turbo smart for beautiful blow off valves

There is some awful Jap stuff out there too...even the 'good' makes.
Like the Spoon Sports air filter I bought for my Integra Type-R...adds 10-15 BHP they said.
Lost 10BHP. Dyno proven.
Utter *****.
Like much of the Japanese stuff...

Ess_Three said:
Neither is mine..big valve head 16v, Ti retainers, Schrick cams, matched and flower manifolds, big TB etc...and I still get no gain.

Oh yes..I'm with you on this one..

There is some awful Jap stuff out there too...even the 'good' makes.
Like the Spoon Sports air filter I bought for my Integra Type-R...adds 10-15 BHP they said.
Lost 10BHP. Dyno proven.
Utter *****.
Like much of the Japanese stuff...

MM depends I suppose, but generally I have to say they are much better quality than euro parts, because the japanese are so locked into tuning, its like an addiction in Tokyo, and the choice is amazing, shame there isnt much you can do with the Audis really, seems to be a lost opportunity in my eyes, or are we in the UK no longer interested in Tuning and perhaps its on the way out over here?...