DV servicing - which grease?

AL_B

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I decided to service my Forge CL007P at the weekend. I used some grease that Forge supplied to me a few years ago. Its just some red coloured stuff in small packet. Not sure what brand this stuff is.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Reason I ask.....my long term investigation into my cars hesitation problem, led me to think, lets rule out a sticking DV situation. So I decided to service the valve.

Now I think the valve is sticking more! Or should I give it a few days for the grease to melt a little and work into the bits.

I was applied the grease quite liberally to the 'O' rings, piston etc.

Cheers

AL

When do you get this hesitation ?
Is it on changing gear ? As if waiting for turbo to generate boost again.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Prior to me servicing the valve, the answer to your question is no. Hesitation occurred during on-off-back-on throttle situations, but not on gear changes.

Since servicing the valve, I do get a slight pause now, when changing gear, and getting back on the throttle.

It has been better today, but still a slight pause there.

This is why I raised the question about the grease, I think its an important factor in the operation of this valve.

AL

Well it turns out the grease that Forge supply is Mobil 1 high temperature grease and if you contact them, you can get a free supply as and when required.

Thats what I have found out from searching various forums.

AL

I've got this hesitation at the moment. I was low on fuel , so put it down to that. But have had it since. Took my DV off to grease it up.
I could still hear it dumping though. So maybe its not that.
AL what spring are you using ?

Do you think molybdenum grease would be ok ?

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got this hesitation at the moment. I was low on fuel , so put it down to that. But have had it since. Took my DV off to grease it up.
I could still hear it dumping though. So maybe its not that.
AL what spring are you using ?

Do you think molybdenum grease would be ok ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that grease is high temperature stuff, it may be ok. If I were you I'd check with Forge. I'm sure they'll send you some grease out. They are pretty good for customer service.

I'm using the green spring, which is supposed to give similar operation to the OEM 710N valve, as my car is not remapped.

I think my 007P may have been sticking (more prior to servicing, and still a bit after), as it was pretty dirty in there. This could have been causing the hesitation or contributing towards something else, and causing the hesitation. E.g. a vacuum problem shouldn't be ruled out.

I'm a little more certain today that the 007P, before and after servicing, may not have been functioning as it should. I have reverted back to a 710N today, and I have to say, so far no surging and no hesitation. Of course there is still a slight pause when moving from off-boost to on-boost, which is quicker, the 007P or 710N, is hard to tell. I would say 007P, when operating properly.

Its strange the car feels totally different with the 710N fitted compared to the 007P. I'm not saying better, or worse, just different. Another strange thing is, the turbo spool up noise doesn't sound as loud now, and also when lifting off, you can hardly hear the recirculation of air. Not sure if the car feels as strong with the 710N.

I may get some new 'O' rings for my 007P and perhaps try some shims with the green spring. Or I may even get a Forge Eliminator.

AL

I'm up to the red spring now. Mine is mapped and I found I was losing boost with the yellow and green. On really small throttle movements (i.e. small boost) you can just hear the turbo stalling. But only just. Anything meaningful and it dumps.

Chris.

Most of the time, part throttle, no throttle, the DV should be open and thus charge air recirculating. Obviously, when on boost, it should be closed.

With the red spring, I can't imagine why you would be loosing boost. Surging, or compressor stall, could mean the valve is sticking closed, and not reacting quick enough when you let off the throttle.

Its for similar reasons, that I have been wondering if I have a vacuum leak somewhere. If you loose vacuum, there won't be enough "pressure" to pull the spring and piston up.

I just find it hard to believe the forge valve is sticking, especially after I serviced it. All I can think of is perhaps the 'o' rings are shot. Puzzled.

AL

ALB, good post you've started here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I only just remembered it though!

I emailed Stratmosphere today to ask about grease. I have one of their HyperBoost HX's.

Here's the reply...............................
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bub,

Thanks for the email. Personally, I would service the valve about every
20,000 miles. That may be overkill, but it cant hurt. The o-rings should
last for years. When you open the valve up, just wipe the old grease away
and apply lots of fresh Mobil 1 synthetic grease. That's all there is to
it!

Greg Vavrick
STRATMOSPHERE

[/ QUOTE ]

Now the thing is, in the US they have Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease , but over here Mobil don't maket such a grease. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have emailed Mobil UK to confirm that Mobilith SHC 220 is an alternative.

It would be nice to know exactly what Forge are using though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hope you get to the bottom of your running problem.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Cheers Avus.

Forge have said on other forums that it is Mobil 1, and they get it from a local supplier.

Back to the DV....well, I've gone full circle. Hesitation occurred today with the 710N fitted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm not saying the Forge was not sticking, it may have been. Maybe the 710N is sticking too. But 2 valves not working correctly...not impossible, but I think unlikely. This 710N has very few miles on it.

Back to the drawing board.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers Avus.

Forge have said on other forums that it is Mobil 1, and they get it from a local supplier.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

NP, I spoke to Forge today and they told me they use Mobilith SHC 220!! - The guy checked the tin......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Here's the reply from Mobil............................
[ QUOTE ]
Bub,
According to the application details provided, Mobilith SHC 220 is
indeed the nearest European replacement for Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. This
product is expected to perform well in the temperature range from -15 to
+45 ºC and it should show excellent compatibility with FKM (Viton)
elastomers since it is polyalphaolefin based.
Please see the Product Data Sheets for these products attached to
this message for further reference.

Best regards,

Ivan Nayda
EAME Technical Help Desk Operator,
ExxonMobil BSC Czechia, Prague

[/ QUOTE ]

HTH
BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi Al, im using the Forge valve on my car as well and runs pretty good, If you need to try mine on yours or if i can help in anyway give me a shout,

MO,

Thanks, that's a kind offer mate. I'm away this coming weekend. Lets swap numbers and we could arrange something for in couple of weeks time...depending on how we are both fixed.

Perhaps we could try swapping some other items, test, swap back, etc.

I'll PM you my numbers.

Cheers

AL

Al, thats fine with me, Hopefully try and help you get to the bottom of this seeing as its been going on so long.
Pm recieved and sent.