chips!

squigly

Reaction score
Website
sasha.dolgy.com
yeah. no vinegar for this boy. so i get the s3 tonight, will be meeting up with you guys at that thing on sunday coming up. not sure still where i'm going or what i'm doing.

my question is, does anyone have this revo thing? can it work on any cars? i don't know how much it costs, been having a hard time finding information about it, but i'd like to test it out to see if it's something that would surely and quite dearly love to burn a hole in my pocket.

so is flashing the ecu a bit more complex then just sticking their tool in the vag-com port and flashing?

thanks

No more complex dead easy i have it!

Were abouts are you m8 , As one off my friends has started doing it

Ring them as they have a dealer on your doorstep

cool. i sent them an email. how does this affect insurance? ultimately if someone is carrying this revo thing with them and are in an accident, they could revert the ecu program back to stock,yeS?

Provided you haven't lost the use of your hands and the ignition still works then it is always possible.

One word of advice though - always have the dongle close at hand. I have mine attached with masking tape next to the serial port for such occasions. For instance, suppose the car was crushed having rolled a few times and was under a lorry? At least if I was still conscious, the dongle would be close enough at hand to effect the transition to stock.

It always pays to think of these things well in advance IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

.....and if you were unconscious there would be this blatent bit of plastic staring them in the face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Mine stays in the door pocket.

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]
Ben (bjacks) said:
.....and if you were unconscious there would be this blatent bit of plastic staring them in the face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Mine stays in the door pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess so but the worst possible scenario would be remaining conscious but losing the use of your hands. On such an occasion you could use your teeth to insert the dongle but, if so, it would have to be close by. I'll stick with my masking tape.

I think in this case I would be happy to be alive and the last thing I would worry about is putting the car back to stock.....

You could always tell the insurance company and avoid all of this worry!

Mine only want an extra £90 a year after revo fitted for piece of mind and avoidance of hard time at her majesty's pleasure.

Have you considered other tuners than Revo? There are many companies offering tuning - APR, MTM, Oettinger, AmD to name but a few. All with their merits etc.

indeed i have thought about other tuners. i'm still doing my research about what is good, not good, etc. in regards to the S3. back home i have an a4, but the 3's aren't allowed in north america, so my knowledge is limited and i'm not sure what's what...

with revo i can get the demo flash so i can see if i like it. if i don't, it reverts back to stock after 3hrs or so? doesn't hurt to try something new

i will be trying the REVO trial when I get my S3 in October. Got to have a go really.

It is supposed to revert back to stock, although there may have been some issues there - read the "Problems with Revo" post.

You're coming to Santa Pod? There'll be some chipped S3's there for you to try I am sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
with revo i can get the demo flash so i can see if i like it. if i don't, it reverts back to stock after 3hrs or so?

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
doesn't hurt to try something new

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Have you considered other tuners than Revo? There are many companies offering tuning - APR, MTM, Oettinger, AmD to name but a few. All with their merits etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point Jo. So I've put the new improved version of my list on the post below /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just to save you a bit of time ploughing through the search engines I've put my updated choice of top/recognised tuners for Audi's (VAG);

Most recognised within the UK:
APR - www.goapr.co.uk/dealer/index.html - Good maps and well respected, especially in the US. Just released OBD tuning. Switchable options using cruise control.
REVO - www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html - Good maps with a large amount of cars running OBD downloaded software. Switchable options using switch (Dongle).
AmD - www.auto-amd.com - More than just a chip tuner, they are a complete tuner unlike many others. Respect.
Jabbasport - www.jabbasport.com/Audi/Jabbachips/Contact/contact.html - For those that want to take their tuning that little bit further. Well respected.

Great German tuners:
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - One of the longest running tuners for Audi's. A great tuner with a great range of products.
ABT - www.abtsportsline.co.uk/location.php3 - Again a long running tuner with good products. Official Audi chip tuning for The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium amongst other countries.
MTM - www.mtm-online.de or www.qstuning.com (UK dealer) - Well known for good maps with solid performance.
SKN - www.skn-tuning.com or contact SKN (UK) Ltd. on +44 (0)1304 219487 - Not so well known but good products nonetheless

Other recognised tuners for chips mainly;
Superchips - www.superchips.co.uk - Regarded as a general tuner offering nothing special, but map on 1.8T does produce good results!
Wetterauer - www.wetterauer.nl - Not so well known, but still heard of. Used in both the US and Europe.
DBM - www.dbmengineering.nl - Similar to Jabbasport but in Holland. Nice product range with carbon air boxes. Produced a 420bhp S3 for the road!!
Bullpower - www.bullpower.nl - Very little known about this tuner.
Sportec - www.sportec.ch (Even though covered by AmD) - Relatively new to the UK scene. Good torque figures produced with the maps and satisfied customers.
Powerchips - www.powerchipgroup.com - Hardly ever mentioned on the forums, like Superchips, but look to provide good results. The website is extremely good, and the detailed datasheets provided within minutes of an enquiry are full of info. Available through www.mongooseexhausts.com or www.motorsportworld.co.uk

All have their merits, and really it's a personal choice, and you have to check around before choosing in my opinion. There are many other smaller tuners who offer chips etc. but are not widely recognised, but can offer options cheaper than above. There are other big tuners such as GIAC ( www.giacusa.com ) that I have not mentioned because within Europe I do not know of a dealer and don't know of anyone running these chips other than Americans and Australians.

The above is my opinion and based on my knowledge of tuning, the products offered and comments I have picked up on my travels and is intended to be unbiased, but I do have a weak spot for Oettinger these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gambba /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Top post Gambba /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Personally I have the MTM chip fitted by QST and love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

R88per
So you should be M8.
Good to see you at york on sunday, but why didn't you run your car?

Agreed - top post Gambba, especially in light of the "Problems with Revo" thread. It is essential people investigate all the available options before making their decision. It is also vital - in my view - that this Forum maintains an open and free dialogue on such things. Integrity is a most valuable commodity and will always pay in the end.

Jo - re something you have said; I am going to PM you.

Bruno

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Bygone said:
AIt is also vital - in my view - that this Forum maintains an open and free dialogue on such things. Integrity is a most valuable commodity and will always pay in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exaclty! poeple should be able to give their opinions, and people shoulce listen and not turn everything about differnet tuners into a "this ones better than that" post! To be honest, its getting boring!

Rich

True, but still important that both points of view can be heard....

People have different opinions about tuners - let them be heard without being shot down in flames.

We don't moderate this stuff unless it gets abusive/stupid so play nicely (should I take my own advice!)

Golf Bygone - ooer that sounds ominous, hope I'm not in trouble!!!!

Gambba thanks for the great post you are a star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hug.gif

A comment Gammba said about one tuner running alot of cars with modified software, I would suggest most of the other tuners are running a proportionately larger number of cars out there and this is misleading, it appears more are just on some of the forums and are more vocal as has been suggested.

Errr I think what you are saying is that Revo don't run more cars than the others, in fact the other tuners probably run sh*t loads more........ (how many hundred cars did APR chip the other w/e?)

But please let's not start an argument again!

It's not misleading, if you read it carefully it says
"extremely large amount of cars running OBD downloaded software". Please don't be so hypersensitive folks.

And I still consider that even though probably not so many people have the full software installed, I expect a hell of a lot of people have tried the demonstration version, maybe be more than any other chip has been tried, but your guess is as good as mine.

I've changed it from 'extremely large' to just 'large', because I think my first one was a bit over the top.

Please don't pick on it JPR, it's there based on my opinion, I am getting a bit sick and tired of this crap day in day out...so PLEASE just accept it as my opinion, nothing else!

I'm getting sick and tired of being dictated to by some users, it will end here.
We will have our opinion and not be forced into corners by certain users anymore, we will clarify points and not have to be subjected to the constant barrage from certain forum bitches.
We have to back up our opinion with facts it would appear so I suggest everyone else does the same.

Don't make us close more topics please.

[ QUOTE ]
Wando said:
I'm getting sick and tired of being dictated to by some users, it will end here.
We will have our opinion and not be forced into corners by certain users anymore, we will clarify points and not have to be subjected to the constant barrage from certain forum bitches.
We have to back up our opinion with facts it would appear so I suggest everyone else does the same.

Don't make us close more topics please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed John, but I hope it's not aimed at me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

And as I put before my first comment was a bit over the top, with 'extremely large' but I think I was thinking to put something else, but was in two minds.

So what about the rest of the list good or bad or indifferent? I think if all you can pick on is the above then I feel it must be reasonable.

Why not start a chip pole with no comments.
'I have chip x and am happy with it'
'I have chip x and am unhappy with it'

Do this for every chip named in Gambas post and it will give a good idea fitstly as to which chips are most popular, and secondly which chips have the most issues.
You could even include and 'I have the trial of chip x etc'

Everyone limited to one vote. This should give a representative answer to a lot of peoples questions. As I say though, no comments, no argueing, no bitching etc. It will be difficult for anyone to argue with the results!

Did I miss any tuners out that are notable?

GolfTTish, I agree about your posting idea, but maybe it could be done with a questionnaire similar to that which I have seen on one of the American sites.

Maybe a section for posting purely dyno's with the mods done to your car could also be made, as someone else suggested the other week.

Guess who I voted for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Thanks rich. Was looking for it in a separate topic, so that more people were likely to stumble across it.

If you looking for the poll, its in the A3/S3 section. its not open to discussion so cast you vote ans see what others have voted. end of story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Small point Gambba, Wetterauer are German based tuners, but not in the German tuners section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Did I miss any tuners out that are notable?

GolfTTish, I agree about your posting idea, but maybe it could be done with a questionnaire similar to that which I have seen on one of the American sites.

Maybe a section for posting purely dyno's with the mods done to your car could also be made, as someone else suggested the other week.

Guess who I voted for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking to add certain sections, but I need to be in a good mood to be bothered to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
So if you want some of my time stop bitchin at me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And if you've nothing constructive to add to this post don't bother!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
If you looking for the poll, its in the A3/S3 section. its not open to discussion so cast you vote ans see what others have voted. end of story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, where do I find it? - a link if possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I contacted stealth racing as they fit APR but still no sign of their serial port tuning software. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

why not create a section called chipping, put all the historical posts in there and then ban the subject completly unless an admin agrees it is a warranted discussion.
I have followed this board for about 2 years now and the same thing raises its head with the same comments and comes to the same end etc.. about every 6 months.