K04 Upgrade questions

Beerzo

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!
Reaction score
I currently have a '97 1.8t sport A4. As it is the first phase of this engine, so i am told, it will only make 180bhp after chipping, an increase of 30bhp.

What i considerd doing was changing to a K04 turbo setup.

Can anyone tell me since my car is NON-Drive by wire. would this create any issues?

Is the K04 a direct replacment job. or does it need different pipe work or engine management, injectors or anything else? I know that the car will need re-mapped if i was to run the K04.

What kind of power should i see running a K04 and having the car mapped to it?

I have also herd people speaking of a K03s turbos, would this be a direct replacement and what is the difference between it and a standard K03?

MRC will get 200bhp outa ur 97 car mate. Mines a 95 and its runnin like a dream.

Few problems reported on the K04 front with an older car. However theres a thread in the a4 b5 section that seems to overcome these problems.

ive got 206bhp on a 1996 1.8 turbo sport mate remap is from AMD

CharlieRevell & billybravo do u have any other mods or is the car just chipped?

all ive got is the remap from AMD ive put the dyno below ive been told if i get rid of my cat and get a better Exhaust i could be seeing around 220 225 bhp

i shall be doing this soon so its ready for the pod

scan0002.jpg

220 to 225BHP out of a 150BHP engine is not going to happen dude. The turbo can't do it, end of story.

I had my engine remapped at AmD quite some time ago (I have the 180BHP facelift car with K03s turbo and Milltek cat-back and de-CAT) and although it was pleasing at the time and produced good results, (I don't mean to burst the bubble here so sorry if I do) their figures lately have been a little ambitious at the very least.

There are others who will argue the same and others further who swear by them but all the hype is not to be believed. Just take a look at history and the trends of peoples engine remaps on here for a start... I'm not sure I've ever seen the earlier 150BHP engines make significant power over the 200BHP mark and few that reach the 200 mark actually. Some do get get close though...

Just a few comments to show the other side of the equation there bro' and I'm sure they'll liven things up a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just my opinion obviously so don't shoot me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Beerzo,

[ QUOTE ]
Is the K04 a direct replacment job. or does it need different pipe work or engine management, injectors or anything else? I know that the car will need re-mapped if i was to run the K04.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the K04 is a direct drop-in replacement providing you get the correct variant - K04-15 for the A4. No different pipework needed. Engine Management will need to be remapped to cope with the extra flow that the bigger turbo produces. Your injectors MAY need to be replaced, it depends if your tuner thinks the car is underfueling when he maps it.

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of power should i see running a K04 and having the car mapped to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 250BHP is possible with the K04...

[ QUOTE ]
I have also herd people speaking of a K03s turbos, would this be a direct replacement and what is the difference between it and a standard K03?

[/ QUOTE ]

It simply flows a little more air allowing the cars' engine to produce a little more power with correct mapping and was fitted (as mentioned above) to the facelift model A4's and a few other cars (Seats??) if I remember correctly...

Hope that helps.

T

Thanks for letting me know. Can you adivse where i can get the above K04 you mentioned? Do you have a part number?

Have a look at this thread for some background reading and info.

If you want to buy new then speak to VAGParts - you can take a look at their website at www.vagparts.com

Just tell them what you are doing and that you want the K04-15 and they will know what you mean.

I don't think it will be cheap though, you may be better off sourcing one second hand... I think I remember Madkebab having one for sale recently, not sure if he sold it or not. PM him to find out.

Cheers

T

Iv got a panel filter, and a forge DV.
Not major power accesories!
Just the chip and im about 195. OOoo and an S4 arch liner for he intercooler!!

I agree with tim on this too. I just cant see much over 200bhp with a k03.

An Exhaust makes very little power diff at this level, and the induction kit could lose you power thru heatsoak, cant see 225... think you'd loose a hell of a lot of torque thru that 2! Adn thats what makes you feel like ur goin sumwhere!

hey i've got a forge dv a panel filter and there two great bits of kit whatever the power.

I have an induction kit at the moment. So you advise taking it off for standard unless it was inclosed ie BMC or cold air intake carbon thingy?

Personally, yes. But if you've got it and paid for it...
Basically, its a noise thing more than anything.

I'd like the noise, tho it can be a bit chav. But its a lotta money for no power.

But the K04 we are talking about should be breathing more so may need a BMC to give the best gains.

Hi lads.

I had my car rr'd today and made 166.5 BHP which is 16.5 bhp up on standard. With only an n75 J valve, uprated D/V and an induction kit with no heat shielding, which the guy said the induction kit is holding the car back as it is just sucking in hot air, and that running it like that can cause problems. So i am going to put it back to standard as he said it would benifit the car alot so maybe i might see a horse or 2 if i do.
I checked the other cars that were running standard setup and they were making accurate power give or take a horse or two. So cant put it down to roller inaccuracy.

Yeah there was a scarey *** mk2 golf that was over 300BHP if i can remember correctly. I have a video of it on the rollers if anyone is interested.

blue one?

Don't buy a KO4. if you are willing to stretch for a turbo upgrade get one that will at least grow with your budget. I know three people who swapped KO3 and KO3S for KO4's and they are all now on Garrett or some other aftermarket.

The KO4 will not cope with the abuse that a late 200's early 300's bhp remap will give it.

There are exapmles out there of it acheiving that, but they have significant mods to back it up or they have had a number of units in there.

tell that to a certain blue mk2 golf owner on club gti......

I'll believe that when I see it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As far as I know the K04 cannot flow anywhere enough air to produce that sort of power, regardless of the remap.

But I could be proved wrong... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I do agree with you on the Big Turbo upgrade though... faced with paying for the upgrade in the first place you may as well start with something you are going to get the benefit of. On a pounds Vs Power scale there is no point, in my opinion, spending the sort of money the upgrade will cost on something that will yield very little power gains for the money spent. You'll always wish you had gone for the Big Turbo in the first place...

T

I have a K04-15 for sale if anyone is interested, direct bolt on replacement on passat/a4 base engine and will give the extra power your looking for, pm me for info

If you go for a KO4 eliminator and run like say 300bhp. Will you do through drive shafts and things, or can you get uprated ones??