what clutch type do you have?

dummi

smoking a6
Reaction score
wondering what type of clutch people are using

i'm considering a pucked paddle clutch, perhaps one with 6-8 puks to keep some feel but i'm not sure since i've only used stock type clutches, and want something that can take some abuse

these clutches come in sintered metals, kevlar,, is this good or bad on a daily

sachs organic with special facings.
sintered is very harsh.

Heard specs is very good,go for it!

the more i ask questions the more misinformation or conflicting advice i seem to get!

seems like there are a lot of options in the states with people holding strong optinions both there and the uk

heres what ive found out so far:

organic gives good grip with lower plate pressure and therefore better pedal feel, but doesnt tolerate being overheated

kevlar has a lower friction so needs a higher plate / pedal pressure to grip, but does tolerate high temperatures more so may last longer if you use it hard

sintered metal are really for track/race and are very much on/off with a heavy pedal feel but tolerate heating and repeated abuse more.

AMD say the oem is good for 500hp or so, but they have tried lots of aftermarket ones and most are rubbish. (they didnt say which ones) - there are reports of the oem not lasting well particularly with track days and hard launches.

mtm is a very strong sintered metal sachs race clutch apparently but is not good for road use - too heavy pedal and too little slip - its on or off (this is my own opinion of my own mtm clutch)

dialynx do their own clutch with 2 options - they wont say whos the plate is but they use their own flywheel based on the tanoga one with an organic plate with a slightly heavier oem feel, and a sintered metal plate option for more abuse / track use

tom schmalz in germany sells a 50% organic 50% metal sachs based clutch complete with light 1 piece flywheel - he says the feel is slightly heavier oem with good drivability but can hold 750nm compared to the ome 550nm - i heard from 1 person using this and they thought it drove well - about 1300euro supplied.

SPEC do a range of clutches with stages 1 to 5 but i dont know anything else about them - they do all seem to be for the oem flywheel however.

dahlback racing have 2 options with 1 piece flywheel - 670nm and 780nm but their site doesnt say anything about plate material or drivability - these are about 1650 euro

so after all these options which one do i use for a 520hp car - no idea!!! except not the mtm one for road use.

thanks for the knowledge dunk

i have ordered a specs 2 to use with rs4 pressure plate, when reading threads on AW seems old style specs clutch is more reliable than the new one,, i'm thinking thats the specs 2+,, that would have been the one i would have thought of going for if i had your 520hp, its supposed to be good for around 495lbft

also read some good info about clutch masters http://www.clutchmasters.com check them out, its their stage 3 and 4 that have got praise from the s4 hybrid turbo owners that would be a good one to try, stage 3 is kevlar segmented, stage 4 is ceramic paddle,

my sachs organic comes with a uprated pressure plate as well as special facing friction plate and is rated at 360lb/t and that is conservative.The stock clutch is no where near good enough for 520bhp,destroyed mine with 360bhp,340lb/t.
mtm which is only a friction plate is strong but quite hard to live with.Specs i've heard are good.

My OEM clutch slips now with only moderate power. I can't imagine it would handle anywhere near 500HP.

I have a one-piece lightened aluminium flywheel with replaceable friction plate and 4-puck clutch that I bought from ATP in the states waiting to fit. They say the clutch plate is good for 400HP but no mentione of torque figures.

You can see it along with their description here

The rest of the info here is an interesting read...

Cheers

T

like to know what you make of your 4 puck when you've used it for a bit

I'll be sure to let you know of course... but it's being tagged onto the end of an engine build that will take a few months to get completely sorted (when I finally get around to starting it!) so it could be a while yet...

Have had a spec stage 2 fitted to my s3 for while now, feels very oem, no problems at all although i was put off going for the 6 puck as drivability suffers under normal/street use. I believe Amd still recommend this brand.

thats good thats what i was going after, shall post here after i break mine in