Audi A4 B6 Dyno run 197bhp!!!! WTF

seany26

Reaction score
Got my first dyno run on sat since all my mods, very disappointing to say the least, only made 197bhp!!!! come on seriously.
basically im running an s3 225bhp setup with a highflow cat and remapped.
my engine is like new with defo no under lying problems so can't even start checking it to find something wrong.
map has to be the issue here, opinions please...

Yes turbo, injectors maf, didn't have my fmic hooked up as I'm in the middle of changing to a bar and plate.
I'm not sure what east cost customs measure, I'll find out but I'm sure it would be at the wheels, isn't the Americans into the flywheel thing?

Spooky, that is exactly what my 1.8T A4 (190) B6 made after a stage 1 remap that should give me 225hp. I was 20hp down on stock to start with :(

Must be something in the air at the moment!

P.S the place that dyno'd mine said the car was running lovely but I'm still going to investigate. I've just ordered a new 710n DV as my one is 66k miles old and once that is fitted I need to do a leak test somehow, which I haven't figured out yet.

I've got a forge dv in at the moment so no problems there.
I would have been happy with 250 as everyone tells me I should get between 250-280 comfortable with that setup. So I'm well down on what it should be, big disappointment!

Yes turbo, injectors maf, didn't have my fmic hooked up as I'm in the middle of changing to a bar and plate.
I'm not sure what east cost customs measure, I'll find out but I'm sure it would be at the wheels, isn't the Americans into the flywheel thing?

Just re-reading your post above. If that 197hp is at the wheels then you aught to be a very happy chappy! 197hp at the wheels as that would be about 240hp-250hp at the flywheel.

The Americans tend to work with at the wheel figures whereas over here most dynos usually add a correction to show estimated power at the flywheel. Car manufacturers quoted power is @ the flywheel power.

Just re-reading your post above. If that 197hp is at the wheels then you aught to be a very happy chappy! 197hp at the wheels as that would be about 240hp-250hp at the flywheel.

The Americans tend to work with at the wheel figures whereas over here most dynos usually add a correction to show estimated power at the flywheel. Car manufacturers quoted power is @ the flywheel power.

Your correct about the figures, just confirmed that it was flywheel hp, so I'm still looking for more

That is a bummer. If they'd have said it was at the wheel horsepower you would have had nothing to worry about. I wish I wasn't a numbers man. I just hate the fact that somehow my car has lost 20hp. I'd be even more miffed if I were you with all that you have fitted.

I've learnt alot today about Quattro's and dyno's. Basically only dyno's that have mechanically tied rollers are the ones for the Quattro system. Dyno dynamics are apparently good to run on.

Mine was run on a dyno dynamics rolling road. All dynos will give slightly different readings, I know this. Also the correction applied to give us the estimated flywheel will not be 100% correct either. Nether the less not 20hp out (in my case) and even more in yours.

To be honest if I was within 20bhp of anticipated bhp then I would just put it down to rolling road tolerance. But in my case, I really don't know if my map needs revisited or what.

What engine codes you guys running ? 1.8T AVJ if I remember correct ?

Yes correct, why do you ask?

Last edited:
Yes correct, why do you ask?
1.8T engine comes in different configurations so just making sure which one we are talking about.They should make around 215 on just a remap and 235 with injectors and exhaust still on stock turbo.If you have access to vcds/vagcom try to log on your car and see if it holds the boost like it should. You could have a simple boost leak somewhere

Should have uploaded this at the start but hear you go.

Attachments

• rolling road.jpg
    rolling road.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 362
My engine code is BEX I believe.

What happens to your car at around 5200rpm Seany? The torque curve shouldn't drop that suddenly!

Have you got an AFR plot? Have you got access to a VCDS so you could do a run to obtain what the MAF is doing?

I really don't know, that could be the stage at which the roller go haywire.
Yes I have vcds and I actually have some logs that I done from that rolling road day on the road home, none of air fuel ratio!
Which measuring block is the air fuel ratio, and I will do some the next chance I get. Pm me your email and I'll send a copy of the logs.

AFR should have been done on the dyno. They stick a probe in the exhaust to measure it. Here is my dyno run with AFR on it

8pjy.jpg

Use excel to plot out your MAF readings. Here is mine that I created from the VCDS run I did

g14a.jpg

No they didn't do Afr that day as it was a rolling road day and only about who's had more power, vag or bmw! We won :p

It was a rolling road day.... I think that says it all. Rolling road days are about fun and not to be taken too seriously. You want to start looking at number you really want air intake and not the room temperature. Air pressure. Boost requested and actual. Throttle and ignition. Anf that's just to start looking at what's going on. External lambda is ok but it helps to see what the car thinks it's seeing. Most up the tail pipes are too short and suffer from pulse. Does the car feel good after the remap? Were you happy until you got the print out?

I was most happy because it pulls well, only thing is it's got a boost spike because n75 is not mapped in correct!
Yes rolling road days are suppose to be fun,but the only reason I was there was because I've never had any figures with the car since all the work and mods that I had done this year. It was up until I got a figure of least 50bhp under my expected that it was fun no more and back to hands on fun, again!

Maf

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387491470901.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387491470901.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 417
Well if you compare that to mine something definitely doesn't look right does it?! You're flowing less air than me. I'd take a stab that as you're not flowing as much air as me to check your air filter is clean and that your MAF is clean too. Could it be your MAF is on its way out? Know someone you could swap with and then do another run and log it?

I'm unsure if your N75 could be causing this issue. I don't know what you mean by it hasn't been mapped. Isn't that what controls how much boost is allowed? If that isn't working properly it could be causing you issues and seeing as all your issues, looking at that MAF log, start when the turbo comes in it might be worth sorting that first then doing another run.