Exhausts - S3/TT/LCR

AL_B

Reaction score
Been wondering whether to get an exhaust or not, so been looking at the options.

Noticed that Blueflame do a 3" down-pipe for the LCR. Seeing that LCR has same engine as the S3 & TT, won't that bolt right-on?

I've seen a complete system for the LCR including downpipe, 100cell cat, and back box for £525!

Now I know the back-box will not fit, but I'm guessing everything up to and including the CAT will. Am I right?

AL

The whole system is wrong for the TT/S3>LCR as the LCR isnt 4wd, there is no transfer box .etc so D/P is different, and the rest is too...Unfortunately!

******. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But it makes you think doesn't it? A full system including high-flow cat for £525.

Yet...

Blueflame cat-back TT = £530 approx
APR cat-back TT = £770 approx
Milltek cat-back TT = £460 approx

Blueflame sport-cats (presume S3/TT) = £650 approx (tt-shop)
Blueflame sport-cats (presume S3/TT) = £650 approx (camskill.co.uk)
Milltek sport-cats = £870 approx (tt-shop)
Milltek sport-cats = £743+vat (AmD)

Milltek cat-back S3 (quiet) = £414+vat (AmD)
Blueflame cat-back S3 = £425 (camskill.co.uk)

So my question is, how can a full system LCR exhaust cost 500 quid, yet a CAT alone costs more for a TT/S3?

There's something wrong somewhere.

Are you sure about the differences in floor-pan Rich? Anyone got a SEAT EKTA, with pics?

How come the SEAT gets away with 1 100 cell motorsport CAT, yet the designs for the S3/TT incorporate 2 CAT's, in OEM style design?

AL

Here are some pics

DSC02662e800x600w.jpg

DSC02663e800x600w.jpg

Al,

The thing is, the LCR is 2wd... To the downpipe, doesnt need to accomodate the transfer box, and at the rear, its completely different (same as A3, not S3) as its torsion beam setup, not independent. I know that the milltek sports cat, is a single cat...not a twin...This would greatly reduce the cost...

Rich

cheers Rich.

My personal opinion is S3/TT owners are being over charged for these items; down-pipes, cats, and to some extent back-boxes.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
cheers Rich.

My personal opinion is S3/TT owners are being over charged for these items; down-pipes, cats, and to some extent back-boxes.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...But can also see why. The S3/TT backbox is far more complex than an A3/Golf/LCR...These ones are just straight silencers..The S3 goes in, then around the inside of the box, and out again.

How much is a blueflame?

I know what you are saying Rich. But my view is, yes the S3/TT system may be marginally more complicated, a few more bends, a few more welds maybe, and a larger back box....but, don't see why the cost should be so much higher.

And as for the CATs, 650-750 quid average price...it would be worth buying the Leon system just for the CAT, selling off the other bits, and getting someone to make a joining section so it all fits together.

Blue flame back box is around £400. I've sent them an email, but no response as yet.

There is actually a group buy trying to be organised on the tt-forum for CATs from Blue Flame. But Blue Flame have gone all quiet.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you are saying Rich. But my view is, yes the S3/TT system may be marginally more complicated, a few more bends, a few more welds maybe, and a larger back box....but, don't see why the cost should be so much higher.

And as for the CATs, 650-750 quid average price...it would be worth buying the Leon system just for the CAT, selling off the other bits, and getting someone to make a joining section so it all fits together.

Blue flame back box is around £400. I've sent them an email, but no response as yet.

There is actually a group buy trying to be organised on the tt-forum for CATs from Blue Flame. But Blue Flame have gone all quiet.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree..The price is ridiculous for an exhaust! Especially when you consider the gains (or lack of) that you actully get!

yep,waste of time unless you have a bigger turbo.

[ QUOTE ]
yep,waste of time unless you have a bigger turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...and even then a 2.5" exhaust isnt a restriction!

2.5" is ok ,but the stock systems tend to have bottlenecks.Mine is only 2.75"

[ QUOTE ]
2.5" is ok ,but the stock systems tend to have bottlenecks.Mine is only 2.75"

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah especially in the S3! The pipe under the diff to the backbox is a pancake!