400+ bhp 1.8T

Pontio

Reaction score
Hi guys, does any1 know of this being done? maybe how much it would cost and the work required? i have started looking at conrods and pistons but what other parts of the engine would i need to uprate? valve springs etc? what turbo kit would i need to look at?
Any help welcome and appreciated.
Thanks J

Go Pontio, be the first for the AmD stage6 conversion @only £32500 +vat.....
me and Kevint are right behind you on this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hello mate,
If your serious about 400bhp then it would be pistons(purley to increase capacity to 1.9l to decrease spool time) rods and valves.Then a large ihi(pe) would probably just nett you 400bhp .Too make sure you'd probably best going for a large port head and custom inlet manifold.
Obviously you'd need injectors,lines,sports cat,downpipe..etc..etc

32500 is slightly on the expensive side guys lol. am just looking into it and how much it would cost if i was to source parts from the states etc.

The 2l stroker kits (replaces crank) don't rev aswell as the 1.8/1.9's so the thought is too stick with overbored pistons.400bhp is as big as i'd want to go on a single turbo set-up on a 1.9l engine before it becomes undrivable.

thats interesting idea, what are the complications of running a twin turbo 1.8t?
would widen the power band nicely i would think, don't have a clue though :p

[ QUOTE ]
thats interesting idea, what are the complications of running a twin turbo 1.8t?
would widen the power band nicely i would think, don't have a clue though :p

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wouldnt be so great. The lack of space would mean the turbos would be too small and wouldnt get the required power. Only really work on bigger V6/VR6's/V8's .etc

Rich

Sequential set-up is possible but it's very hard to "blend" the transistion between small turbo and big turbo.
Anyway i've come to the thought that 400bhp is enough ,after this swap the car for something with more capacity and chassis to match..cough..porsche.

i think it will cost too much having got some prices and the overall wont be that much worth doing. probably stick to trying to get 300+ nad leave it at that. thanks for the help guys.
Feel free to make a twin turbo A/S3 though, honestly.... anyone.. :p

I agree. After that you are throwing money away at one heck of a rate! Things will be breaking on a daily basis! You will really enjoy the 330ish bhp...It completely transforms the car to something that really is PROPER fast. Still not scarily fast, or gut wrenchingly fast, but its ****** rapid and still has the "oh f*ck!" factor for passengers! Also allows you to seriously take the [censored] out of 99% of the cars on the road!

Rich

why dont you take a look at bill brockbanks ibiza with it's new engine, looking like over 400 bhp, big port head, one piece valves ( like to break at high revs on standard ) 83.5mm je pistons, rods and custom ihi turbo.

running a pe,exact spec as i quoted above 1.9 etc,bit laggy though.

Bill says less laggy than old ihi and spools up 500 rpm earlier, its back at jabba for mapping this week,he says he's like an expectant father pacing around awaiting results.This engine has cost a lot more than he originally thought.I hope he gets what he's after ,he's been a guinea pig for everything else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

Andy,
bills car had become extremely laggy with a vf34 with .18 housing because the engine was on it's last legs,compared to my vf34 p20 it will be laggy but a necessary evil to acheive 380+.

saw the inlet manifold last time i was at jabba,what do you mean by front pipe?

Bill's results 410 bhp and 378 lbft and jabba think that the exhaust is too small and holding it back a bit.See seatcupra.net for more details.Wheel spin at 120 in 4 th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

Thought it would do 400,if i decide to do the rods on mine i reckon 380/380 is achieveable.

Andy at GDI (AndyC) can supply, fit or even just advise on the 2.0l stroker kits.

They can also do anything from a simple overbore for the 1.9l conversion plus any combination of rods, pistons, gas-flowed headwork, turbos, cams etc. etc.

See here

Worth a look... it'll be a lot cheaper than the £32.5k that AmD are asking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T

P1020123.jpg

Too be honest i'm only looking at rods with my current turbo.
How much do you charge for rods fitted?

[ QUOTE ]
P1020123.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif OMG - I'M OFF TO FIND SOME KLEENEX!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I think I have some left that I didn't use... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

you boys need to follow the seat and Gti forums as well as your own.
There are a few 400+bhp 1.8t engines Ibiza's (Bill's now), Golf Rallyes and syncros.
PVW did a shoot out with four or five of them, not all of them have nitrous to achieve that either.

PS - RichA3turbo - what MAF are your running on your A3?
I am about to VF34 an A4 Avant.

PS - RichA3turbo - what MAF are your running on your A3?
I am about to VF34 an A4 Avant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard AGU Maf...nothing special!

who did your remap?
I take it you work for or are JBR?
I have been told that the standard MAF or even the S3 can't feed the ECU accurate data on flow over circa 280 bhp.
Does that make sense? (only quoting a remap co.)
He suggested an S4 MAF to get accurate mapping above those levels.

(got to say, I know little about the technical aspects of it which is why I pay someone else to do it, I am still pulling togther the final bits for my BT conversion and getting a bit of advice on mapping)

I own and run JBR.

I'm not having any problems at all... I'm using a modified TT maf housing (80mm).

360bhp standard s3 maf-no problem.