JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

K04'd B6 - not achieving boost

Hello all,

I've got a A4 B6 Avant, originally a 190 1.8T, now running an AMK lump with K04-023. The conversion was done prior to my purchase and apparently has been remapped to the usual 260 ish of the K04 motors. However, since owning it I've had the error code:

16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation
    P0299 - 002 - Control Range Not Reached

After clearing it soon comes back. It's also reasonable sluggish low down in the rev range. I’ve got a Ko4'd Corrado as well that I did the conversion on which doesn't seem as sluggish low down, this just runs a standard map ( I don’t think it just the weight). The turbo is now bust on it so can't log against this to compare which is a shame.

Today I finally managed to find a bit of time to take some of the intake apart and look for any obvious leaks. Unfortunately none found. There was some end play in the turbo, difficult to assess as it pretty near the bulkhead so couldn’t see.

It maybe seems very slightly better since reassembling. I've logged blocks 33, 114 & 115 again today and you can see the lag between the specified and actual boost. Attached is a screen shot of the graph taken from a relatively hard acceleration run.

I've graphed:
    A/F ratio (lambda voltage x 14.7)
    ideal A/F 14.7 - just for quick assessment
    N75 Duty cycle (4th block of 114)
    RPM - this is as a % of the max. of the logging session just so it scales on the graph.
    Boost Pressure Specified- mbar
    Boost Pressure Actual - mbar

It shows why there is an error code due to the difference in the boost pressures. Not sure what the difference needs to be to flag an error though.

The max. specified boost is 2800 mbar, (33 psi, 2.3 bar). This sounds very high to me. Could this just be the problem, mapping calling for too high a boost. An the low down lag just being poor mapping?

Anybody got any thoughts or any more logging to try and get to the bottom of the problem. Be interesting to see a similar graph of a remapped K04.

I plan to contact the place that did the conversion and mapping and share the same data, but thought I'd try here as well.

Oh, and it appears it's not running a DV.

Wow, longer post than expected.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Last edited by g60_edge; 30th July 2012 at 08:37.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Alex

1st Gear

Status
    I would check your MAP sensor to see what its reading on boost and compare to a good gauge. Next I would check your actuator as it could be weak and you could be getting waste gate creep and losing boost there.
    B8 A4 Avant 2.7 V6 TDi S-line with extra's. 239bhp and 443lbft & my daily VW Caddy VR6

Administrator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Administrators On Twitter
    Rather than the graphs do you have the data from the logs?

The boost presure deviation may have been altered in the map when being tuned so with out the file I can't tell you. Was your boost presure over atmosphire? so remove 1000 from the value to give you your true figure. Not running a DV will also cause the turbo to stall... and you sound like you have a little work to do

Feel free to drop me a PM

Many thanks

Adam