Help fitting diverter valve to A4 1.8T

I

imported_AndyB40

Just bought an AMD D.V. and need some help fitting it. My car is an A4 1.8T (190ps) 2004 model.

AMD told me to look for the original D.V. down at the front left side, they said to follow the big black ducting running from the airbox. I removed the air intake section to give me better access/view but coudln't see anything that looked similar!

The only thing I did see was a shiny gold object about the same size and round in shape near the engine block, was this it?

Any steps to take/pictures appreciated.

Andy.

[ QUOTE ]
Just bought an AMD D.V. and need some help fitting it. My car is an A4 1.8T (190ps) 2004 model.

AMD told me to look for the original D.V. down at the front left side, they said to follow the big black ducting running from the airbox. I removed the air intake section to give me better access/view but coudln't see anything that looked similar!

The only thing I did see was a shiny gold object about the same size and round in shape near the engine block, was this it?

Any steps to take/pictures appreciated.

Andy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get under the car at the front and look up towards the intake on the turbo, you will see the DV Its a black plastic thingy same shape as the viper. Its a pig of a job on an A4! Best way is to actually remove the airbox and ducting from the car as it gives much more room to work.

Rich

Thanks for the information, I'll have a look underneath later.

Don't fancy changing it myself then, although I think I'm competent enough, probably take me hours.

Anyone know of somewhere local to Bournemouth where they would change this easily and quickly for me as possibly they are used to working on Audi's?

If not guess I'll have to do have a go myself.

I dont think you could change it working from the top! You need to get the car off the ground (on a two post ramp really)

Remove the undertray and the valve's on the back of the right (Drivers side) intercooler.

Look here .

It's a 15 min job on a ramp. Don't attempt it on the floor though - you just won't be able to drop the undertray down.

Hope this helps

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DV install

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice link ............. but you can't get to the DV from the top on a B6 2004 190ps A4.

BUB

Bub,

It can be changed from the top as I have done it twice with mine. The valve is in the same position for the B5 & B6 models of which I agree would be easier from underneath from a ramp. About a 15 min job and a piece of cake.

Through the top its a little more tricky but aslong as you know what you are doing it isnt that bad. It only took me 25 mins the second time and thats without removing the airbox or R/H light as there is no need.

The biggest pain in the **** is removing the one use clamps of which is trickier from the top due to less hasstle but nothing a competent person wouldnt be able to cope with.

I basicaly pushed over the oil supply pipe, removed the ducting to the airbox (not the airbox itself), removed the Turbo Intake Pipe & N75, then you can have access to the DV from the top. If you go from the top I wouldnt remove the airbox or R/H light unless you are extremely cack handed then if you are, I would ask someone else to do it for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Bub,

It can be changed from the top as I have done it twice with mine. The valve is in the same position for the B5 & B6 models of which I agree would be easier from underneath from a ramp. About a 15 min job and a piece of cake.

Through the top its a little more tricky but aslong as you know what you are doing it isnt that bad. It only took me 25 mins the second time and thats without removing the airbox or R/H light as there is no need.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine BUT the 190ps "S-Line" motor has twin intercoolers - not just one on the left . Even after changing mine I wouldn't even think about doing another one from the top - it'd be a real pain in the A**. If at all possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The original question was for the 190ps engine NOT any other.

If you look at my post above and click the link you'll see the DV is right at the botttom on the back of the first intercooler, buried!!

I'll take another look tonight , but I still think from the top is a no ,no on the 190ps BEX Engine.

Thanks for all the input, everything is useful!

Let me know whether you think I should definitely be tackling it from the bottom Avus Bub, as you say my car has twin intercoolers.

Well I've got the undertray off the car, and can see the valve, but the jubilee clips are a type I haven't seen before. Can someone please advise on how to remove them? It's unlikely anyone wilol reply in time before I have to put everything back together, but here's hoping!

Sorted it! Read a few posts which suggested trashing the clips and replacing with new ones which is what I've done.

It would definitely be almost impossible from the top due to the intercooler being in the way.

Much better to remove the undertray (about 12 screws) as suggested, and the diverter valve is clearly in view! I did jack the car up both sides and secure with axel stands. I then removed the existing clips and fitted the new DV using new jubilee clips. Very easy job.

Thanks all for advice.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorted it! Read a few posts which suggested trashing the clips and replacing with new ones which is what I've done.

It would definitely be almost impossible from the top due to the intercooler being in the way.

Much better to remove the undertray (about 12 screws) as suggested, and the diverter valve is clearly in view! I did jack the car up both sides and secure with axel stands. I then removed the existing clips and fitted the new DV using new jubilee clips. Very easy job.

Thanks all for advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry didn't get a chance to check again.

Well done mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Those clips are factory crimp on - a one way trip - you HAVE to cut them and bin them.

Cool, so I did the right thing!

On another note, once I had the undertray off, I noticed one side of the engine (opposite side to oil filter) had a lot of oil on it! There was also a fairly large roundish shaped black plastic something or other that was covered in oil (I can see this on the picture of your car)! Far too much oil for my liking so booked car in for it to be checked, as it i still under warranty.

Dare I ask whether I should replace for original DV in case they try and give me grief over it?

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, so I did the right thing!

On another note, once I had the undertray off, I noticed one side of the engine (opposite side to oil filter) had a lot of oil on it! There was also a fairly large roundish shaped black plastic something or other that was covered in oil (I can see this on the picture of your car)! Far too much oil for my liking so booked car in for it to be checked, as it i still under warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a secondary air pump for anti pollution ( air injection ).

I think mine had the signs of a oil leak too @ 4000k ish But it looked ok a couple of weeks back when I did a oil change......................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

- Let me know what they say and how you get on!

[ QUOTE ]
Dare I ask whether I should replace for original DV in case they try and give me grief over it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too sure about this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif That's why I went for a black HyperBoost - Steath!
They can't get funny about it , surely? It's not like it's making more power or putting anything under strain...

It's the Re-Map I'd worry about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BUB