Volks AutosChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

New Short-Shifter fitted today!

At long last, managed to find some spare time to fit a short-shifter today. Got mine from Stratmosphere.com weeks ago, and was itching to try it out.

First impressions: notchy but positive & short throw. Much easier to keep the engine in the powerband, i.e. feels quicker to 60 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Have not had a chance to try it on my fav. A & B-roads yet, but me-thinks it should be much easier & smoother when blipping & down-shifting.
    There's still a chasm between 2nd and 3rd gear, and too low a 6th gear, but then there's not much I can do about the original gearbox (without spending a fortune).

Fitting wise: supposedly "an easy couple of hours" turns into a half day of cursing, swearing & bruised knuckles. Beware! Tight fittings & small spaces. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif[/img]

Longer drive on A & B roads to work tomorrow me thinks...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Owner

Status

Re: New Short-Shifter fitted today!

I have a B&M one and its fantastic. Have grown so used to it and had a shot of a standard one again and it felt pretty poor i must say.

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status

Hey there Soupie what B&M do u have? is it the short shift or the actually connection pipe?

imported_bubstar

That sounds great !

Is your car a B6?

I got a friend to get me an AMS one when she went to the 'states in May.

But typical bird , her luggage was well overweight and she left the case with my shifter in it behind!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Her mums going to post it (I hope).

Agree about the fitting bit - it looks like it could turn a bit nasty! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Will post up a review when I (eventually) get it fitted.

BUB

Reverse Gear

Status

Had a short run on yesterday on my fav. commute A-road, but was hampered by more traffic than usual. It still felt miles better tho' - esp. when you shift from 4th to 5th to 6th, the power just keeps on coming YEAH!!!!

Avus: Yup, B6 chassis w/ 6-sp gearbox. Thought about the B&M shifter but could not confirm if it would fit my 6-speeder. In the end, I bit the bullet & bought from good-ol U.S. of A.

Notice how much more tuning bits for the A4 they have over there? Seems the UK Audi tuning market is biased towards the A3.

Won't be doing much more for the car though. I need more power, but being FWD, too much is being lost to wheelspin on spirited first gear take-offs. Must budget for quattro next time......

imported_bubstar

[ QUOTE ]
    Notice how much more tuning bits for the A4 they have over there? Seems the UK Audi tuning market is biased towards the A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup , Well they never go the A3 over there.

There sure is some tasty stuff about if you know where to look [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Can't wait to get the AMS fitted now . Thats gonna be my limit for a good while too..........

BUB

Owner

Status

Hi i have the B&M one. It is the whole shift assembly. Not just a linkage.

I have had it on for over a year and have not had any problems.

Cheers