Monster MotorsportVolks Autos

Thread: Expected BHP

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

Expected BHP

Hey guys, just out of curiosirty, how much BHP would I get if:

1) Get a chip
    2) Get a sport cat (down pipe of some sort)

I've currently got a 2002 S3 225bhp, I'm just curiouse if anyone would like to take a guess, oh and if anyone could guess the 0-60mph, well will be very greatful cheers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: Expected BHP

bhp would be around 270ish i'd expect. 0-60 i wouldnt know.

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

i thought I'd be lookin around 270,

5th Gear

Status

1) 250-260bhp 260-270lb/t
    2)fractionally more

4th Gear

Status

in theory the 0-60 should be about 5.6 to 5.7 secs, assuming 270hp.

more importantly the 60-100 time will be about 8.5secs, down from about 11 secs

by comparison an M3 does 60-100 in about 6.7 and an impreza sti (260hp) does it in about 9.5secs and a golf R32 taking about 11 secs.

4th Gear

Status

need to finish my next little project first before i do any RR days...

5th Gear

Status

come on dunk,maybe end of june would be better for you.Love to see what the mtm can do mate.

5th Gear

Status

whats the problem dunk?

1st Gear

Status

Hi dunk

Are u looking to do the 2.0L conversion?

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

lol one more Dunk question wouldn't hurt hehe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img], if it isn't too much to ask but how did you get your car up to 345bhp? a list of mods would be nice if u've got it lyin around somewhere, cheers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

345 is the mtm big turbo conversion - comes as a kit and takes 1 or 2 days to fit by qstuning

includes:
    big turbo
    oil and water lines
    samco inlet pipe to stop collapse
    new manifold
    new downpipe
    sports cats
    ss exhaust
    bigger injectors
    k&n air filter in standard box
    custom mapping by the MTM man who comes over from germany
    (new clutch extra to stop slipping with 345lb/ft)

4th Gear

Status

drives very well, absolutely phenomenal take-off from about 3500, but there is slightly less grunt between 2000 and 2500.

others can do as well for cheaper, but you have the whole issue of custom downpipes, oilpipes etc and custom mapping and a considerable fitting time. i went with mtm cos its off the shelf (i want it and i want it NOW)

i'm looking to increase torque off-turbo and flatten out the torque curve so am trying a few other mods

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

[ QUOTE ]

. i went with mtm cos its off the shelf (i want it and i want it NOW)

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I know the feelin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif[/img]. Roughly how much is the kit of the shelf? and how much for fitting?

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

Ohh also can you take it further than 345 since it's a bigger turbo I would expect more bhp, or is that not the case? hybrid turbo maybe?

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

Sounds like you're on your way then Dunk, Will be nice to see a 400bhp or near that S3. So you thinkin of boaring the engine to a 2L? is that what you mean by forged internals??

5th Gear

Status

Interesting stuff dunk,i was also told that the early engines have stronger rods,more aggresive cams and a slightly larger port head.Anyway i won't be going for something quite as extreme as you just yet.But is definetly the way to go.I know james is using stock s3 pistons so there easily good enough for 400bhp but seeing as your going for bigger displacement you will need the bigger pistons,remember the valves though mate.Hope to see you in the summer for the rr day.

4th Gear

Status

going for forged crank, forged rods and forged pistons, uprated bolts etc.

the earlier large port head can make more top end bhp, but loses out at the bottom end by about 20lb/ft - the later small inlet port heads have a better bottom end torque and throttle response cos of higher air velocity - im not looking for big top end bhp figures at all - i want to make the care better to drive not worse.

not sure but i think the early and late cams are very similar - again you dont want agressive cams for a turbo unless all you want is a high top end bhp figure. if you change cams on a vvt engine and use the standard me7.5 ecu you gets lots of error codes all the time - its ok if you go for aftermarket ecu but i dont want to do that.

standard valves are ok unless you intend to go over 8000rph - i am only looking to keep my current 7250rpm limit so that wont be a problem

4th Gear

Status

i found out mtm do a 380hp kit - but they dont tell anyone about it - if i had known i would have gone for that in the first place rather then the 345

apparently the car drives more like an rs4 with good off-boost performance (so says kim collins of qstuning) - this kit is the basis for dahlbach racing engines and various 1.8t based racers running up to 9000rpm - so the engines probably pretty good although i havnt been given a price yet from mtm - at least one arm and leg and probably an eye or two as well!

i did find out that lots of the tuning companies have very strong opinions that are not necessarily based on facts - about which engines can be used, what needs to be strenthened, what not etc etc and they are also very opinionated about the work of the other tuners (and not often good opinions either)

1st Gear

Status

sorry for my puny question but are you using stock air box and inlet maifold dunk?

4th Gear

Status

yes mtm use the standard box with k&n filter, and instruct not to change it - the mapping is worked out to use this.

5th Gear

Status

Trust me dunk consider swapping the valves i know of at least 3 people who have dropped stock valves with BT upgrades, 2 of them were with fully built engines...ouch!!one of these was a s3 and it destroyed the internals.I know what your saying about torque dunk but the option i am going for is not as extreme as i want to keep the stock internals but with very little lag so i'm never going to make massive figures.But if you think about it as long as a turbo can produce above 300lb/t over a long period of the rev range it will be quick.

by the way i am using the stock airbox with panel filter with a larger feed.

5th Gear

Status

Is that on top of the 8k for the standard kit?

1st Gear

Status

cant recall now..I'll see if i can dig out the article

Dunc

5th Gear

Status

Don't worry andy i'm not spending that much on the s3,i believe dunk might be though.

1st Gear

Status

I spoke to Jabba recently and they said the downpipe was ready or something along those lines about a 1.8T quattro having the kit fitted?

But then when I spoke to them a year ago they said the kit would be ready in a matter of weeks/months anyhow..

I wish...

Dunc

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I spoke to Jabba recently and they said the downpipe was ready or something along those lines about a 1.8T quattro having the kit fitted?

But then when I spoke to them a year ago they said the kit would be ready in a matter of weeks/months anyhow..

I wish...

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

Misunderstanding i think. They have the downpipe for the fwd 1.8T, but the Quattro (Thats my understanding anyway) They;ve only just got the fwd ones complete and ready to ship.

Rich

1st Gear

Status

I find it hard to believe the down pipe is the only issue - I was quoted Ł250 for a custom down pipe by Heyward and Scott; if that is all that is holding you back it should be an easy fix.

Greg

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I find it hard to believe the down pipe is the only issue - I was quoted Ł250 for a custom down pipe by Heyward and Scott; if that is all that is holding you back it should be an easy fix.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

The A4 downpipe is an absulute doddle though. Its a bit of pipe with 2 bends in it.... Not the case with the S3. Its got to clear 3 right angles (kind of) to get to the cats and has to be in 2 parts as its got twin cats so the driveshaft can be clear.

RIch

1st Gear

Status

Fair enough - if it were me I would discuss it with them as there wold probably be a few takers.

I knew there had to be a reason for me buying an A4 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Greg

2nd Gear

Status

Rich is right. Had my S3 D/P done. Very very tight. Had to go down to 2.75" where it goes between the bulkhead heatshield and the prop. Got one cat now. Initially hit against the prop shield but now moved down, so clears by about 20mm. Lower to the ground though. Doesn't bottom even though the car is lowered.

@Dunk, Spoke to VST before and he reckons the turbo on his was a K26 ?

Chris.

4th Gear

Status

the big problem with the downpipe is that the people fitting the turbo/manifold/lines dont seem to want to make the downpipe, so you have to transport a no-exhaust car from the turbo fitter to an exhaust place, then get it back to another garage for a mapping.

it cant really be built without the car/turbo/exhaust manifold to hand to check for fit

this is just hassle and wasted time for many would-be big turbo fans.

back to the same problem - the only off-the-shelf downpipe/big turbo/exhaust/lines is the mtm kit.

5th Gear

Status

JBS are sorting a BT kit for the tt/s3 ,give them a ring.You don't need to split the down pipe if your using a racing cat,why would you want to retain that aweful stock cat!!

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    the big problem with the downpipe is that the people fitting the turbo/manifold/lines dont seem to want to make the downpipe, so you have to transport a no-exhaust car from the turbo fitter to an exhaust place, then get it back to another garage for a mapping.

it cant really be built without the car/turbo/exhaust manifold to hand to check for fit

this is just hassle and wasted time for many would-be big turbo fans.

back to the same problem - the only off-the-shelf downpipe/big turbo/exhaust/lines is the mtm kit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why i took mine to AmD. Because they built the downpipe and did the mapping...Both to a very high standard! The only reason i had it towed there was because i fitted the turbo kit myself but obviously had no downpipe. If i were doing it now it wouldnt be a problem as Jabba have the fwd downpuipes available. So at the time, i was in the same position as all you S3 guys wanting to get it done. Looking forward to seeing the JBS GT28RS kit. Its about time someone got it together like they have. Hadn't een heard of them a year ago, but they certainly have built a great reputation for themselves!

Rich

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rich is right. Had my S3 D/P done. Very very tight. Had to go down to 2.75" where it goes between the bulkhead heatshield and the prop. Got one cat now. Initially hit against the prop shield but now moved down, so clears by about 20mm. Lower to the ground though. Doesn't bottom even though the car is lowered.

@Dunk, Spoke to VST before and he reckons the turbo on his was a K26 ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the MTM kit was a K26 too.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

What boost are you running again rich?

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    What boost are you running again rich?

[/ QUOTE ]

~1.2bar

1st Gear

Status

any reason why you arent pushing a touch more? 1.3 for example?

Not saying you should be, just enquiring.

Dunc