Upgrading Turbocharger

[ QUOTE ]
Do Jabba give you the unions for the oil and water out of the turbo ? If so, what did you do, get flexible braided hoses crimped on to them ? What are the most fiddly parts ? And please don't say all of them !

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

They supply the water pipes but not the oil.

The oil return need the bolt holes slotting about 1 mm...i jsut enlarged them about 1 mm and it was fine, but an absolute nightmare to fit as it has to be done with the turbo in place and there is no room to work...even less with the S3!

The oil feed pipe was the biggest problem throughout the whole install and took me a day to figure out it wasnt going to happen! They say that the OE oil feed pipe fits, but it simply doesnt. its a hrd line noty flexible and just doesnt go where it should, so i couldnt be ***** to f*ck about with it anymore so i jsut replaced it with a aeroquip heavy duty hose thats completely flexible and went exactly where i wanted it to.

The TIP was a real nightmare too. Basically, the TT/S3 TIP wont work! You need a samco TIP and a 2.25" elbow (i used stainless pipe). I joined the elbow to the turbo with a silicone joiner hose, and then sleeved the 2.25" angle pipe with the samco TIP that i chopped the bottom off of and installed it all. Works a treat and looks OE from the top.

Rich

What injectors and maf did you use Rich ? Made a d/pipe for mine,so I can testify to how tight it is with the prop and transfer box. They put the bellows a little too low so it keeps rattling against the heat shield around the bulkhead. Tried the dogbone mount but need to do some re-aligning.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
What injectors and maf did you use Rich ? Made a d/pipe for mine,so I can testify to how tight it is with the prop and transfer box. They put the bellows a little too low so it keeps rattling against the heat shield around the bulkhead. Tried the dogbone mount but need to do some re-aligning.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using Bosch 440cc Injectors @ 4bar and a TT MAF housing with the original sensor.

My D/P is VERY tight, but it doesnt rattle one bit!

No need to change my FPR or maf then ? As I said earlier, thinking of the K-26, this runs an external w/g so would have quite a complicated d/p. Plenty of clearance to get the extra pipework in though. Spoke to VST a few times. He did his own install of the MTM kit. Said it was tight where the oil drain came out of the turbo. Had to file a bit away on the transfer box.

Chris.

I think qst has to adapt the mtm manifold to fit rhd cars so i'm not sure if it will fit??
Addo is using a gt28r and not the rs so mat must have one of these?

[ QUOTE ]
I think qst has to adapt the mtm manifold to fit rhd cars so i'm not sure if it will fit??
Addo is using a gt28r and not the rs so mat must have one of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan,

The QST manifold is a mirror image of the MTM one, and the downpipe is also completely different. VST posted a pic up somewhere in here a few months back.

Rich

Here is QST kit:
S3big%20turbo.jpg

Here is MTM kit
125297-mtm.jpg

A great thread everybody . Very very interesting . Answered a lot of questions for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I wonder if anyone would like to comment on the power claims in this thread??
A4 190ps Thread

Cheers BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A great thread everybody . Very very interesting . Answered a lot of questions for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

err... and me, i'm the original poster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
@Rich, the braided hoses in the corner, they the oil feed and return ? The other must be a water pipe yeah?
Also, what do you reckon the two springs are for ? I see the dogbone mount in there, whats the other bush and sleeve for ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right! Springs, at a guess would be for the wastegate. All the 3 bushed are the dog bone mount!

Didn't have the round bush and sleeve with the dogbone mount I had from you .

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Where does the round one go then ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where it bolts to the 'box.

1672_x600.jpg

Rich, looking at the two pictures, do you think the only thing handing the manifolds is the angle the external w/g comes out at ?

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Rich, looking at the two pictures, do you think the only thing handing the manifolds is the angle the external w/g comes out at ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks to be the case... Not sure if the turbo mounting flange is angle at all though.

Rich

Yes, looks like the turbo mounting flange on the RHD kit is rotated a few degrees clockwise. The opposite way on the LH.
Do you know if Dialynx do anything with a manifold ? They've used the K-26 for a long time.

Chris.

*cough*

s3mon? How did it go?

Or more importantly, how does it go?

The turbo was held up at customs for a while and now I have it I`ve been busy at work .

The car is booked in for the 4 of April so we will have to wait till then.

SimonS3MTM

good luck to you simon,but seriously isn't there anyone cheaper/nearer that can fit it for you?

Thanx simon, keep us informed matey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi Ryan
I want a RR before and after and we all want to know the numbers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Plus if there is a problem they can sort it out sometimes trust is worth more than money.

SimonS3MTM

Has anyone had AmD (or other tuner) fit the Jabba kit, rather than Jabba themselves?

Nothing against Jabba, just wondering.

I was thinking it would be good to have a "full boost" map and "lowest boost" map, on the big-turbo upgrade. Presumably AmD would be able to do this via loading the custom maps onto their switching dongle (?).

It would be an alternative to Jabba's variable boost controller that has to wired in and hidden somewhere under the dash.

...if only I had the money... Zzzzzzzzz

AL

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had AmD (or other tuner) fit the Jabba kit, rather than Jabba themselves?

Nothing against Jabba, just wondering.

I was thinking it would be good to have a "full boost" map and "lowest boost" map, on the big-turbo upgrade. Presumably AmD would be able to do this via loading the custom maps onto their switching dongle (?).

It would be an alternative to Jabba's variable boost controller that has to wired in and hidden somewhere under the dash.

...if only I had the money... Zzzzzzzzz

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

AmD mapped mine for me, but obviously not switchable. I guess AmD could put a low boost and high boost map on the dongle/ecu but would mean paying for 2 custom remaps...Wont be cheap.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Wilko has the jabba supplied IHI kit, fitted by JBS and mapped by Revo IIRC...

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct...Revo have some good software for big turbo.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
@ Rich, you sometimes talk of a 'P20' housing. Whats that then ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

The standard hot side on the VF-34 has a 'P18' Housing... The P20 is just slightly larger therefore allows more air to be passed. Top end gains to be had with a slight increase in lag.

RIch

The hot side is the exhaust housing the p18/p20 is the comprssor housing ,although truthfully this is not really muh of a restriction on a vf34 probably good for 10-15bhp top end.

You may be able to fit a larger compressor wheel aswell but this would increase lag.Like i said before the exhaust housing is the real restriction on the vf34.

From what i've heard it's not worth going to a vf22.There are some good td05/06 hybrids that will fit the jabba manifold but have no idea if they will have any fitment issues.

You get the housing from jabba... Best to do it before its fitted the first time round... I wasnt aware of it when i fitted mine as i would have done it then.

The VF-22 will allow you to pass 400bhp (just about) although its not guaranteed. an 8k rev limit is best for this setup to take full advantage of the turbo... Engine must be well uprated though... from top to bottom!

Rich

I don't think a vf22 will make 400hp,maybe a hybrid vf22 or even a hybrid vf34 with larger compressor wheel and housing plus a bit of porting.Plus the vf22 has a old bearing design and is pretty fragile.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a vf22 will make 400hp,maybe a hybrid vf22 or even a hybrid vf34 with larger compressor wheel and housing plus a bit of porting.Plus the vf22 has a old bearing design and is pretty fragile.

[/ QUOTE ]

here i go again in a semi asleep state. I should jsut not post anything til about 11am when im with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

The VF-22 that Jabba used on their old golf wasnt standard...Not sure exactly what was done to it. The VF-22 is a older unit than the VF-34 so as you say, isnt as reliable as the VF-34.

I am looking for around 350 hp from the VF34. Am I asking too much ?

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for around 350 hp from the VF34. Am I asking too much ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but your nearing the limit of its capabilities.

350hp is top end on a vf34 ,you might want to go for the p20 housing to make sure.There are bigger and better stuff available but your going to get more lag towards 400bhp.You could always try and stroke the 1.8 to gain extra torque and reduce spool up but it's a expensive route.

[ QUOTE ]
What's a VF34??

[/ QUOTE ]

its a roller bearing turbo used originally on the later model STi Scooby's (i believe). Good turbo!

It's a turbocharger made by a company called ihi who made alot of the turbos used on the f1 cars back in the eighties.The vf34 is the standard turbo that comes on a subaru impreza sti 7 ra and is of roller bearing design,which means that it can spool up faster than standard bearing equipped turbos.It seems well suited to the vag 1.8t and is the basis of the jabbasport upgrade package which can be bought in kit form.

sorry mate but the vf22 is fragile ask any scooby owner.It is ball bearing but of a older design to the vf34.VF22 is a lower-tech compressor compared to the VF34... 5 blade and only 5, where the VF34 is 6 and 2 sets of them.It may be possible to just squeeze 400hp out of one on a 2.0l scooby engine but on a 1.8?I don't think anyone has said a vf34 with p20 housing will produce 400bhp,i said a vf34 with larger compressor wheel housing on porting might just make 400bhp.