Traction Control, Mechanical Vs Electronic

Punisher

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Golf 1.8T,
I do not have traction control, it was only fitted to later Golfs.
Now i have more power with APR chip, Milltek turbo back exhaust, etc etc,.
I'm experiencing wheelspin every time i want to give it a bit of welly.

My question is, What is better for me to fit to a FWD Golf, an Electronic system like Racelogic TC, or something like a Quaife Differential or Peloquin Diff?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 1999 Golf 1.8T,
I do not have traction control, it was only fitted to later Golfs.
Now i have more power with APR chip, Milltek turbo back exhaust, etc etc,.
I'm experiencing wheelspin every time i want to give it a bit of welly.

My question is, What is better for me to fit to a FWD Golf, an Electronic system like Racelogic TC, or something like a Quaife Differential or Peloquin Diff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it only first gear traction problems your having? What tyres are you using? That could be a big part of the problem! For a standard chipped car, i personally dont think either are necessary, however a LSD would be advantageous regardless of traction problems.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]

i personally dont think either are necessary, however a LSD would be advantageous regardless of traction problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different things for different problems, I think...

Traction control is better for getting off the line...
LSD is better for the bends...

Ideally, a tight LSD and Racelogic TC will ensure the traction is as good as it can be...along with good tyres, as Rich has said!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i personally dont think either are necessary, however a LSD would be advantageous regardless of traction problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different things for different problems, I think...

Traction control is better for getting off the line...
LSD is better for the bends...

Ideally, a tight LSD and Racelogic TC will ensure the traction is as good as it can be...along with good tyres, as Rich has said!

[/ QUOTE ]

LSD does help put the power down, so if its only a mild problem, the LSD will solve it. But to be honest i think if your having traction problems from aq basic remap, the tyres arent upto it! When my car was at 190bhp, there was NO problem putting the power down in any gear in the dry and only first in the wet. In the dry i could use full throttle from a standstill in first and grip all the way to the redline...That was with Toyo Proxes T1-S.

For bigger power fwd then definately LSD AND Racelogic is the way forward....Thats my plan to eliminate traction problems (mostly anyway!)

Rich

Thanks guys
I have Bridgestone Potenza S03 all round except one front tyre which had an unrepairable puncture and i replaced it with a cheapo budget tyre, Kumho or some crap like that, as i was a bit strapped for cash at the time, so i have odd tyres at the front which i now realise is contributing to the wheelspin i get.

Would a Gearbox Differential eliminate wheelspin from standing starts?
Or would Racelogic be enough?
Does anyone know about PELOQUIN diffs?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys
I have Bridgestone Potenza S03 all round except one front tyre which had an unrepairable puncture and i replaced it with a cheapo budget tyre, Kumho or some crap like that, as i was a bit strapped for cash at the time, so i have odd tyres at the front which i now realise is contributing to the wheelspin i get.

Would a Gearbox Differential eliminate wheelspin from standing starts?
Or would Racelogic be enough?
Does anyone know about PELOQUIN diffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

The diff wont eliminate wheelspin, but basically will double the available grip as it will always put power to the wheel with MOST resistance.

Peloquin are good as are Quaife.

Rich

So for everyday driving (no track days) would i be better of with just Racelogic TC?

[ QUOTE ]
So for everyday driving (no track days) would i be better of with just Racelogic TC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would say not...
TC is great at adding traction by limiting power...which is fine on the start line...but if you only have one wheel driving (the other spinning, like with a standard open diff) you have to cut the power delivery to gain traction.

With a LSD you get two wheels driving...although the type of LSD varies, as does how effective the added drive is...to be honest, ATB type LSDs are fine for road use (Peloquin or Quaiffe) but for high torque engines I, personally, prefer friction type diffs...clutch and plate type (ZF or Gemini)

So, an LSD doesn't cut power...
TC doesn't add grip...it just cuts power to maximise the grip you have...

But only on the start line...

Through the corners, I much prefer organic traction control of an LSD which allows you to vary the grip by varying the power...whereas electronic TC systems are less favoured in these circumstances.

As has been said before...ideally you will have TC for the start line, and an LSD for the corners...

Which brings us to your original question...and the answer, as always, is not clear cut!

Do you value off the line grip as more imortant than grip through the bends?

If you race off every traffic light...then perhaps TC is for you...on an otherwise standard car.

If you like to hammer through bends, in all conditions, I'd argue the LSD will give more benefit in everyday driving....on a standard car.

You pays your money, and takes your choice...

I don't like electronic systems that affect the dynamics of the car whilst in motion...hence I'll stick with organic additions like an LSD....that would be my first step...

It's my belief that an LSD will make you faster A-B...maybe not much faster off the line, (both wheels will still spin if you are rough with the throttle, as Rich says) but everywhere else.