What power with a K04?

Reaction score
What sort of power could i expect with a K04-15 on my A4?

I think the GT28RS is a bit too expensive for me at this time.

Or is there another direct replacment or a turbo which is inbetween the K04 and the GT28?

Cheers

hi soupie i think you can get between 230 and 250 bhp with the righ remap, and around 250 to 260 ft lbs torque, markey and welshdragon both have k04s..

I will tell you what i am running ex after the RR day on the 20th, im hoping to get as much as i can with new inlet and zorst manifolds and FMIC. When it came out of AMD it was around 230 and it is great fun.

Hi Soupie - did you see Simon's Mk3 golf running at the RR at Star last year?

That was running a K04 - he got just under 260bhp but the heatsoak was real bad on the rollers - due to the combination of not realistic on-road cooling and his grill has more metal than holes in front of is FMIC. He was hitting high 70 degC on the rollers (I was watcihng the gauges in his car). He doesn't get anywhere near that on the road. He must be close to 270/280bhp.

Simon also has an A4 1.8T and just added a K04 - everything else is standard - that is getting a custom remap at the end of february - not really sure how well that will do - due to the standard IC and restrictive exhaust.

Yeah i think i remember the golf and i certainly remember your car!!! Very impressive, if i ever see you at an event i think you should take me for a blast!!

Yeah i look forward to seeing his A4 results.

How much would I expect tp pay for K04 turbo? Have A4 S-line quattro with AMD stage 3.

Also what else other than the turbo would need changing?

Thanks for any help.

From what i understand it is the turbo and a remap that is only required.

A front mounted intercooler would also help and a uprated fuel regulator.

Correct me anyone if i am wrong.

You might not need a new FPR - there might be enough headroom in the dutycylce of your injectors.

FMIC can only help.

Most of the T sport models come with a good enough FPR so there is no need to get a new one, the turbo will go straight on some people recont that a sports cat should be purchased as well, but i think that is down to how much power your going to run.

[ QUOTE ]
You might not need a new FPR - there might be enough headroom in the dutycylce of your injectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

On my S3, the injectors were running at well over 90% duty cycle...nearer 95% at times. not ideal, i'm sure you'll agree.
This is another reason I don't believe a K04 equipped car can make a genuine 300BHP...if mine was running with the injectors not having time to rurn off, before being asked to switch back on...and making 270+...I just don't see where the extra that some claim, is going to come from.

As for FPRs...there are instances where cranking up the fuel pressure actually decreases performance!
More pressure does not always equal more flow...and certainly not better atomisation...so you can sometimes mess with the FP and give yourself other 'burn' problems.

For this reason, I'd agree with Doug...look at increasing the injector pulse width before looking at the FPR.
After that, I beleve the better way would be to re-map for larger injectors in order to keep the FP and atomisation / spray pattern properties correct.