gutting a cat

dummi

smoking a6
Reaction score
anyone gutted a pre-catalyst on their downpipes to increase flow?

or do people generally just cut them out?

I would get a non-cat pipe installed rather than cutting the original - even if you had to get one made it would only cost about £200. Without a CAT your car will not pass an MOT - keeping the original pipe will at least allow you to swap it back come MOT time.

Greg

yes, i was going to keep the main cats, actually use the rs4 style cats, thing is the car has pre-cats which really limit the car. i have been looking around and my get the apr downpipes they are decat

no mate your best getting a high flow cat fitted, cause if you roll your car like my mate did and the traffic polic come, they spotted his pipe where his cat should be.... voided insurance.

High flow cats are great and fitted for around £150

If you de-cat the car wont pass the emissions on the MOT every year so i am led to believe.

really, mcgough where'd you get highflow cats for that price? i think we need 200 cell on these.

your right markey, it wont, unless your car is pre 1989 or so.

does anyone else here have a second cat in the downpipe before it reaches the bigger cat just after the down pipe, thats what i want rid of and have a high flow main cat.

I got the hight flow main cat and mine only had one to begin with and it cost about 500 squids from milltek.

oh crap i need two.

but not worrying to much was doing some checking and theres some company called blak thorn that do 200 cell cats various prices, for the 2.7t for about 250-300 squid each.

[ QUOTE ]

really, mcgough where'd you get highflow cats for that price?

[/ QUOTE ]

From newcastle exhuast place import to the uk from america - limited stocks, but im getting , 2 high flow cats, full twin system in stainless for £900 - bargin

Thats a bargain indeed mate.
You got a name for them im trying to source a decent uprated manifold for my motor but with the info i have so far i can't get them to the UK at a viable cost.

definently 900 for a twin exhaust

i'm looking for an uprated pair of manifolds only found one pair by manufacturer and they're over a grand

you need a very sharp knife and an extra pair of hands, and probably chain mail gloves cos the buggers always get their claws in the back of your hands.

whats wrong with turkey anyway - theres more on one than a cat.

theres always one who can take the topic title in a different direction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
definently 900 for a twin exhaust

i'm looking for an uprated pair of manifolds only found one pair by manufacturer and they're over a grand

[/ QUOTE ]

yea mate its £600 for cat back twin system, with 2 round tips in stainless, and £200 each extra for the cats,

or £900 all in! fitted on the car, getting mine done in january ill post up full pics of the exhaust getting made and on the car when done, well respected guys made loads of exhuasts for me! once mine is done they can make exact copys for people to fit on theres, so if you can wait 3 or 4 weeks!! ill see if they can arrange posting for them!

email me for details of them, kmcgough9@aol.com

wow. what bore are the twin pipes? and how many cell are the cats?

If you are looking for high flow cats then you should try Carsound High Flow Cats. I had one fitted to my 1996 Hyundai Coupe with a 4-1 racing manifold and custom exhaust all in stainless steel and it passed the mot test no probs. These are so much cheaper than what you guy's are getting quoted. Try this link http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Exhaust_Catalytic-Converters_W0QQsacategoryZ33629QQsocmdZListingItemListQQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsocomparecolumnlayoutZ1QQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortpropertyZ1QQsotimeZ1QQsotrZ1 and check out the prices lots cheaper even including shipping. I cant vouch for the other makes but the Carsound cats are top notch.
Hope this helps and saves you money.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Deano.